Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Working the Creative Part[s] of your Brain

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 12:28 am    Post subject: Working the Creative Part[s] of your Brain Reply with quote

https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2018/01/19/study-shows-how-the-creative-brain-is-wired-differently/#152dadb831a0

There are a few folks that assert creativity on music/keyboards is a lot of BS. Had to get that out of the way.

For me, creativity on Kronos is a healthy daily addiction. Call it an obsession, where hours fly by as I get immersed with ideas on the keys.

I also composed 2 recent songs inspired by brain operation, an unusual mixture of brain 'science' and music composition. Titled "Sane in Left Brain " and "Sane in Right Brain". I know, shameless plugging, maybe.

In terms of our population, its said that the heavier creative types are a very small % of the population, lets estimate 1%. creativity and how it works is misunderstood.

Our society and countries are swirling around with data, facts,
stories, etc etc, and our brain is over tasked 'managing ' and processing
all that data/info. As result, the creative brain muscle may not get much action
since its not engaged.

This theory makes sense to me. I have a YouTube on this , if this challenge
is of interest.

Look forward to your comments, observations. I know there are creative Kronos
owners out there. Don't be shy Wink
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:07 am    Post subject: Re: Working the Creative Part[s] of your Brain Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
https://www.forbes.com/sites/daviddisalvo/2018/01/19/study-shows-how-the-creative-brain-is-wired-differently/#152dadb831a0

There are a few folks that assert creativity on music/keyboards is a lot of BS. Had to get that out of the way.

For me, creativity on Kronos is a healthy daily addiction. Call it an obsession, where hours fly by as I get immersed with ideas on the keys.

I also composed 2 recent songs inspired by brain operation, an unusual mixture of brain 'science' and music composition. Titled "Sane in Left Brain " and "Sane in Right Brain". I know, shameless plugging, maybe.

In terms of our population, its said that the heavier creative types are a very small % of the population, lets estimate 1%. creativity and how it works is misunderstood.

all that data/info. As result, the creative brain muscle may not get much action
since its not engaged.

is of interest.

Thank you Greg ! Absolutely agree with you.

Some things have to be considered : the obstacles to creativity. Some are feeling many obstacles and others aren't.
What you said before is a real one. Our brain is fully flooded by a constant flaw of informations which harm creativity.
I guess, there could be self-criticizing, getting fear of other people judgements, the belief in an expected perfection wich will never arise, of course; a bad self-confidence...

All these elements - and many others - are real ennemy of the creativity.
Some would say that ceativity is innate. Perhaps yes, perhaps not. Anyway, we can all develop it, each one at his own level.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

obstacles are the best things that can happen for creativity !
Otherwise nothing happens ! Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Working the Creative Part[s] of your Brain Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
GregC wrote:

since its not engaged.

)

Thank you Greg ! Absolutely agree with you.

Some things have to be considered : the obstacles to creativity. Some are feeling many obstacles and others aren't.
What you said before is a real one. Our brain is fully flooded by a constant flaw of informations which harm creativity.
I guess, there could be self-criticizing, getting fear of other people judgements, the belief in an expected perfection wich will never arise, of course; a bad self-confidence...

All these elements - and many others - are real ennemy of the creativity.
Some would say that ceativity is innate. Perhaps yes, perhaps not. Anyway, we can all develop it, each one at his own level.

Fred, you made several good points that I think are important.

Obstacles are very real. Lack of time, due to work, other commitments. Getting gear to work correctly, out of tune piano are a few.

I grew up in a critical household,, " thats not music " etc etc. Not getting some approval , self confidence getting knocked down.

I think all of us have gone thru many challenges pursuing our art. Our conventional world says creating music or art is not a 'practical ' endeavor.

I think , and other disagree, that creativity is gifted to us. Its up to us to develop it, pursue it, get the creative part of the brain engaged.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:

All depends of the kind of obstacles ! Some are positive and boost creativity, others no and inhibit it !
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kronoSphere wrote:

we find out who we are when challenged.

This is a non fact analogy- the lump of coal keeps getting pounded and shaped-- and emerges over time to be a brilliant diamond. I think creativity is shaped by intense pressure.
jones

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: Working the Creative Part[s] of your Brain Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

since its not engaged.

is of interest.

I believe everyone is potentially creative, many don't find their path to express it.
Music is the auditory corrollary of the painters brush which is the visual version of the poets words.
Same thing, different expression.
Some are naturally better at it , Pele was a great soccer player.

It can be work, it is for me .

Then if you consider the girl who won AGT , grace Vanderwaal, she was whippin songs out effortlessly, playing a Uke that she could barely play.

So creativity , to me, has little to do with instrument motor skills.
Its already there.

The question is...where is "there".

The article you linked,
acknowledges their finding are based on correlates (neural networks) not necessarily causes (mind). Neurologists don't study mind, they don't even mention it, they are limited to naturalism and ontological reductionism.
AKA materialism.

"The problem with materialism is that it tries to construct the mind out of properties that refuse to add up to mentality" (subjective experiences).
Colin Mcguin.

Findings in science are not on their side, theory of mind is heavily weighted to the subjective mind influencing brain networks, not the other way around.

But yeh, the more creativity is practiced the easier it becomes, if that person has found their best outlet between music/art/dance/poetry etc .
The mind establishes new neural pathways, repetition strenghens the new pathways. We get better at it.

Your recent tracks prove your creativity, the detail in the tracks indicate you enjoy it. The final polish shows you are accomplished at doing it.
Its self evident .

Fear of going down the rabbit hole keeps many from their own creativity.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all your thoughts, good observations, brother.

Here is one of the YouTubes that caught my attention on the creative part of the brain. Its a bit of a sales pitch but I think the author has valid points on stimulating creativity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsWN83VXoNg

What I have read and heard is we need the entire brain to interact, the exchange information back and forth [ if we accept the theory of left brain vs right brain } in order to complete a work of art, to write a book, create a song, or make a painting.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have even noticed that if I close my eyes, then I see much more precisely the musical notes I want to write ! Love is blind ! Very Happy 🌞

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
jones

PostPosted: Thu May 07, 2020 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I appreciate all your thoughts, good observations, brother.

Here is one of the YouTubes that caught my attention on the creative part of the brain. Its a bit of a sales pitch but I think the author has valid points on stimulating creativity:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsWN83VXoNg

What I have read and heard is we need the entire brain to interact, the exchange information back and forth [ if we accept the theory of left brain vs right brain } in order to complete a work of art, to write a book, create a song, or make a painting.

The corpus callosum connects the 2 halves of the brain, sometimes its severed to stop epileptic seizures, that leaves the patient with 2 distinct brains in one head.
You can have a conversation with them and not know, there is no outward sign, they can do things that requires coodination between the 2 halves , such as ride a bike. They remain one person.

That kinda tells us theres something more going on.

Machine learning in AI lets 2 computers program each other to learn chess, the programmer doesn't do any programming beyond laying the basic rules of how peices can move.
This seems to mimic what the brain has been doing for millions of years.

But AI will never be able to create a melody because it dosen't have access to the infinite, chess is a closed system.
It might be something uniquely human...even thoug elephants love listening to bach played live.

We are born with brains that are like blank paper, tabula rasa.
Growing up we build networks based on experiences, I suppose thats what they call plasticity, when it comes to creativity I suspect those networks that are utilized are a shadow cast by something unseen that we can engage with, for some of us it can be strenuous, for others effortless.

Brain scans reveal parts of the brain increase when learning skills such as piano, it decreases if not continued, so plasticity continues well into life.
Scans also show all of the brain activates with music, not just one hemisphere. See very quick video showing this.
https://youtu.be/W6GI2vpCrbM
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun May 10, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent essay about what should be true AI is the Ex Machina movie. Cool
neelyang77

PostPosted: Fri Feb 25, 2022 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for info!

Last edited by neelyang77 on Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:07 am; edited 4 times in total
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes indeed: Artificial Intelligence will always be unable to create a melody because Artificial Intelligence does not know "the intuitive break".
Music can never be subjected to pure mathematics.

Music loves the intuitive break.

A melody created by an Artificial Intelligence is often poor because the Artificial Intelligence does not know how to leave the endless paths already traveled.
Artificial Intelligence does not in any way know how to renew the form. Without the help of any landmark, A.I. is lost, she stutters and stammers again and again !

Very Happy

kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 28, 2022 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

... ... ... and most of all Artificial Intelligence does not even know what HAPPINESS is !!! Very Happy

Space Girl

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like your post on creativity!

As and artist (painter) and now musician I have always intuitively created paintings / album covers and now just allow the creative processes to flow when I am playing my Keyboards. It always works when I just play and don't plan anything, especially if I don't put the computer on.

I always created the best artwork and covers that way but when a band wanted me to design specific things that just didn't fit, it always looked wrong. Try telling that to some very stubborn musicians who want to squeeze as much as possible on their album cover, LOL!
When you follow your heart and intuition and allow emotions to flow fully you can create masterpieces in art and music or other creative outlets.

Working in Abelton or using software I find always distracts you from that flow because you are using a different part of your brain when on computers.
It's still possible to be creative on computers making music but I think only certain people can move between worlds and do both.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: