Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KorgControl/Nanopad2 improvement

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CSURIEUX

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 5:27 pm    Post subject: KorgControl/Nanopad2 improvement Reply with quote

Hi,

I recently got a nanopad2, very nice but ...

I need to control another controller by sending midi CCs on its channel, but I need more values then the simple 0 or 127 values allowed by Korg Control version 1.7.0.11.
For example I need to send CC 102 with values 0 or 1 or 2.

Could I expect some evolution on nanopad2 firmware and Korg Control allowing this kind of midi message being triggered from one pad ?

Nanopad 2 is able to send this type of midi message from its X-Y surface, so I expect it should be something doable with pads using fixed input parameters.

If Korg won't move on this, does somebody knows another software allowing to parameter nanopad 2 to do this ?

Any trick welcome.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nanoPAD2 does what it does very well. However, as you've found, pad-generated CC# events take values of 127 for on and 0 for off. No in between.

One possible solution would be a Kenton USB to MIDI box followed by a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus. The nanoPAD2 could be set to deliver velocity-sensitive note MIDI events, and then processed by the MIDI Solutions box to generate CC#102 outputs with values 0-2, depending on velocity. It is easily set up, with an example setting presented by the Event Processor setup software as:

F0 00 00 50 29 02 00 01 03 00 2A F7
90 3C 00
B0 66 00
{ Setting #1: Map Note-On #60 events of velocities 0 - 42 on MIDI channel 1 to Control Change #102 of value 0 on MIDI channel 1. Continue to process settings (right-click to edit) }

F0 00 00 50 29 02 01 01 03 2B 54 F7
90 3C 00
B0 66 01
{ Setting #2: Map Note-On #60 events of velocities 43 - 84 on MIDI channel 1 to Control Change #102 of value 1 on MIDI channel 1. Continue to process settings (right-click to edit) }

F0 00 00 50 29 02 01 01 03 55 7F F7
90 3C 00
B0 66 02
{ Setting #2: Map Note-On #60 events of velocities 85 - 127 on MIDI channel 1 to Control Change #102 of value 2 on MIDI channel 1. Continue to process settings (right-click to edit) }

CSURIEUX

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The nanoPAD2 does what it does very well. However, as you've found, pad-generated CC# events take values of 127 for on and 0 for off. No in between.

One possible solution would be a Kenton USB to MIDI box followed by a MIDI Solutions Event Processor Plus. The nanoPAD2 could be set to deliver Note on MIDI, and then processed by the MIDI Solutions box. An example setting is presented by the Event Processor setup software as:

{ Setting #1: Map Note-On #60 events of velocities 0 - 42 on MIDI channel 1 to Control Change #102 of value 0 on MIDI channel 1. Continue to process settings (right-click to edit) }

Thank you for answer.
You are right something as the Midi Solution would do the trick, but it is a very expensive solution related to the nanopad2. Midi solution boxes are very good but expensives Sad.
As I don't own this Midi Solution box, the cost of adding the Event Processor leads to compare to another solution without the nanopad2 and this box using something as a Morningstar MC6.
Nanopad2 solution was so easy...and inexpensive.
May be I am asking to much from nanopad 2. Very nice piece of hardware but lacking just a minimal software improvement.

I was just trying to see if someone has a solution to this limitation, nanopad2 is not very recent and with time some solutions may have appeared.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest contacting your local Korg representative with the suggestion. This forum is not a portal to Korg employees. The best route is via your rep.

As an alternative, there is the padKONTROL which does allow the pads to be set to send CC# messages with defined on and off values. The nanoKONTROL and nanoKONTROL Studio both allow the sliders to send CC# with defined lower and upper values e.g. 0 and 2, and similarly, the buttons can also be assigned.

Interestingly, the original nanoPAD does allow CC# ranges to be specified for its 12 pads.

CSURIEUX

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2020 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
I would suggest contacting your local Korg representative with the suggestion. This forum is not a portal to Korg employees. The best route is via your rep.

As an alternative, there is the padKONTROL which does allow the pads to be set to send CC# messages with defined on and off values. The nanoKONTROL and nanoKONTROL Studio both allow the sliders to send CC# with defined lower and upper values e.g. 0 and 2, and similarly, the buttons can also be assigned.

Interestingly, the original nanoPAD does allow CC# ranges to be specified for its 12 pads.

Thanks for suggesting, I will look at PadKontrol Wink
I have intentionally posted here in search of a workaround solution that Korg would never provide, considering the age of this equipment.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kontrol49, microKontrol, padKontrol, nano and K series controllers All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: