Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

issue with Korg Triton Extreme:

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jfschi12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:58 pm    Post subject: issue with Korg Triton Extreme: Reply with quote

Hoping someone techsavvy can help me out. in preparation for an upcoming live gig, I accidentally deleted my usb files (i.e. sequenced songs--around 50 of them--samples, special programs) ARg..
Now I used a recovery software on my laptop to try and get them back, but the Triton does not recognize them, or simply puts FILE Unavailable. Does my triton need to be updated? if so, I'm kind of out of luck being that I don't have a compact flash disc. Everything was working before with usb drive.
Any help is MUCH MUCH appreciated.
Best,
John
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was the file deletion event a re-formatting of the USB memory? If so, it will be very difficult to get much back.

The key to successful file recovery after deletion is, after the fateful deletion event, to do absolutely nothing that could possibly write any data to the affected USB memory, and to recover the files to another location e.g. on the computer's hard drive. After that, try to copy any remaining undeleted files on the USB back to the hard drive in such a way that you're able to rebuild the file structure that existed on the original USB drive. If unsure, place a fresh USB memory stick into the Triton Extreme, and save some files e.g. a Song, and a PCG backup, then look at where the Triton placed those files. Use that file structure as a basis for copying the recovered files onto another fresh USB memory device.
jfschi12

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear voip,
thank you very much for your prompt reply. I will give that a shot as soon as my keyboard finishes "checking medium" on the usb drive.
Hopefully, the files are recoverable, if not, a lot of sequencing to do! Smile
JF
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Checking media utilities may not be a good way to go. If it's just a filing system consistency check, then you may get away with it, but a full media check involves writing and reading back from every location on the media being checked, with consequent loss of data, unfortunately.

jfschi12

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so you're saying the files are pretty much gone? if they come up as corrupted and if Triton refuses to recognize them, unlikely they'll reappear right? so frustrating, but there are worse things. Thanks for the help, and if you have any further ideas don't hesitate
jfschi12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 23, 2020 11:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear voip,
Sent you a pm, update on the file recovery status. Please check and get back. Arrow jfschi12
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Wed Apr 29, 2020 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could download and try the PC program Recuva (runs on Windows). It might be able to undelete the files on the flash drive.
jfschi12

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 5:03 pm    Post subject: recuva: Reply with quote

thanks bpoodo,
First, I'd like to know if that's a costly enterprise? Is there any way to extract the files from the Korg itself, like via usb cable to computer or compact flash? I am So frustrated because, my unit is not cooperating; it doesn't even read compact flash media (which I purchased on Amazon), and the hyper drive doesn't take the CF either (too big I guess).
But back to the Korg. A series of error messages, like File Unavailable when I try to load the deleted files. Illegal SMF? and also Media type error--when powering on with Locate and Enter held.
It sounds like the Triton itself is having issues, no?
Any feedback once again is greatly appreciated. You can also pm me. John
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Thu Apr 30, 2020 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Recuva is free for the non-premium version. So it may be worth a try to see if it can recover your files. I used it once, and it was able to recover some, but not all, of the files from a corrupted SD card.

Program / Combi / Global data is retained in your Triton non-volatile memory, so those files can be saved off to a USB flash drive using Media>Save>Save All. Sequences / Songs / Sample data are not retained in your Triton non-volatile memory, they are gone after you power off your Triton.

I don't know if it's the media gone bad or the Triton or both. Check if the data is on the USB flash by connecting it to your computer and seeing if the directories and files are there. If they are not there, try Recuva to see if you can recover all or some of the files.
jfschi12

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for your input. Even after using Recuva, the Triton rejects the file format. At this point, I may have to admit defeat. Do you by any chance know why the Triton would give the following error messages: File Unavailable, Media Type Error (when powering on with Enter and locate held down), and Illegal SMF. That's what I basically read.
Korgusa also responded to me, saying that the files were corrupted by initial recovery effort, and probably not coming back. any other ideas, voip, boodoo etc?
Best,
John
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri May 01, 2020 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I think it's one of those "put it down to experience" things. The problem with most filetypes is that if something in the file gets corrupted, the file is no longer useful. There are some exceptions, like document files, where we can take a look at the document and, provided not too much corruption has occurred, make some attempt at fixing the errors.

For anything that matters, make backups.

jfschi12

PostPosted: Sun May 03, 2020 3:38 am    Post subject: usb: Reply with quote

OK thanks again.!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> General Synthesizers/Keyboards All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: