Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with T1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CoxCrow

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 5:06 pm    Post subject: Help with T1 Reply with quote

Hello all!

I wanted to ask for some help from those in the know. I was given a Korg T1 by someone getting rid of it. It’s my first piano, I don’t play but I’d like to learn. I understand it’s rather outdated, from the early 90’s, and I can’t find many online resources for it.

My first question: I can only get sound from it with the headphones connected. Do I need an external speaker to play it aloud? Thanks so much!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 21, 2020 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum.

The T1 may be "dated" but it takes much of its DNA from the Korg M1, which was arguably one of the most successful synths of all time and, even now, people ask about the M1 (and T1) sounds being faithfully recreated in more modern instruments, so the "old dog" is not done just yet.

The T1 has no internal speakers, so external amplified speakers, or an amplifier and separate speakers, would need to be used. The arrangement used on the T1 is typical of high end professional musical equipments. The main outputs to use are on the rear of the T1 and are the Line Outs, designated 1/L and 2/R. The signal levels from these outputs are described as Line Level, the specification of which is a much much higher output level (in excess of 1 Volt) than either Microphone signals or Instrument signals (e.g. guitars), so do not send the Line Outs into these types of amplifier input, for fear of overloading. If you have a separate component HiFi system, then the inputs on the rear designated CD Player would be suitable. Appropriate cables would need to be obtained. In the case of a HiFi system, two 1/4" (quarter inch) jack to, probably, Phono connector leads, would be required, one for the left and one for the right channel. Do NOT use amplifier inputs labelled Phono, as these are designed to deal with much, much smaller signals, more like Microphone level. For other amplifier types, the appropriately-ended leads would need to be obtained e.g. 1/4" to 1/4" jack. Again, two would be required for stereo.

CoxCrow

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much! Seems like I inherited much more than the basic keyboard hehe. Could you recommend some basic budget speakers so I can get started? Much appreciated!
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 22, 2020 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The T1 cost getting on for $6000 in its day. Its sample ROM is 8MB, double that in the M1. Despite this being tiny by modern standards, it manages to sound pretty good.

Speakers tend to be a case of you get what you pay for. If you have an existing HiFi, or Bluetooth speaker, or a home cinema setup, any of these devices could be used to get you going. Some bluetooth speakers have a stereo Line In or Aux In socket, which could be used with a suitable audio lead arrangement.

If you want real budget speakers then maybe amplified computer speakers might tide you over for a little while.

Search for "studio monitors" to see what's out there. Those with built in amplifiers might be described as "active". Do not buy any passive studio monitors without buying an amplifier to go with them.

The Yamaha HS8 get good reviews, as do the Adams A8X, but hardly budget. JBL305, Mackie HR824, M-Audio BX8D3, Event PS8, all get mentioned favourably in discussions, as do Kali LP6.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: