Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Headphones advice for Kronos?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kfwa

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:19 am    Post subject: Headphones advice for Kronos? Reply with quote

Not tech savy. Can you please advise which headphones of these two or others will work well with Kronos 2 (as you know Kronos impedance is 33 ohm) Beyerdynamic DT770 Pro 250 ohm or Sennheiser HD650 300 ohm? I will be using headphones also with my Line 6 Helix floor (its stated impedance is 12 ohm). And should I also get balanced audio cables with HD650 (getting balanced audio cables is an option if I go with this one)?

A key concern is doing the appropriate impedance match to get the best out of setup.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's 99% a matter of personal preference. Don't buy without trying them. Many keyboard stores have a Kronos available and many headphones to try.

I tried the brands you mention, but probably not the same models. I personally thought the Sennheiser and Beyerdynamic were a bit too flat or smooth sounding with too much emphasis on the high frequencies, but that's just me.

I prefer instead the opposite, with a tiny emphasis on the low frequency side and very direct impact, without compromising the mids. The Shure SRH-840 headphones do exactly that and I bought them for that reason.

Again, testing is everything and YMMV. Finally, about impedance matching, there are several radically different theories about what should be optimal. Here again, don't buy specs, buy sound after testing for yourself. Take your time to compare several models. As a side info, the SRH-840 impedance is 44 ohms. Of course, all this might be complicated right now. Hopefully in a few months things will gradually go back to normal.
runningman67
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KRK KNS 8400 Headphones

I use these. I think they are brilliant, so maybe try them before you decide.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos' Headphone Out L & R channels are each single ended, not balanced, and require a stereo cable with a TRS (Tip Ring Sleeve) jack plug. This type of cable can also be used for the line outs, to make use of the balanced output.

The matter of impedance is complex. The actual source impedance of the headphone outputs on the Kronos is 60 Ohms, supplied by a very low source impedance, low distortion, headphone driver amplifier, allowing the Kronos to drive headphones, having a wide range of different impedances, entirely satisfactorily, and without excessive variations in the power delivered to different headphones. The actual volume obtained for given volume knob settings will depend on the amplifier output voltage, headphone impedance, and headphone sensitivity parameter (typically 90-110dB per milliwatt).

A second aspect of headphone and source impedances is the degree of damping of the headphone transducer's inertial motion by the headphone amplifier, which will tend to be higher (better) with higher impedance headphones, and is further complicated by the influence of the air mass that the transducer is acting upon, both in front and behind the transducer, and by how that air mass is constrained by headphone padding and internal structure, the goodness of fit on the wearer's head, the wearer's hair, and even by the anatomical shape of the ear.

The frequency response of the headphones is a further consideration, and very much down to personal taste. Some folk will consider a flat frequency response to be ideal, but what exactly is "flat" will depend on the end user.

The consequence of all the above is that it is very much a case of listening carefully and critically and, undoubtedly, as others have said, YMMV. A downside of the current Covid-19 outbreak is that dealers who are still open may be unwilling to allow customers to try before buying.

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 28, 2020 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Beyerdynamic DT 990 Pro is what I use, but not necessarily what I recommend for you.

you didn't state where you are going with your headphone, Kronos monitoring.

I always use the Kronos headphone jack/input.

Plus, I think you should consider the purpose of headphones , or what audio result you expect to achieve.

For example, I record 99% of the time- so I require an accurate , or near accurate mix experience with headphones. Headphones often have a ' bias '.

Can't help with your impedance questions
kfwa

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: Headphones advice for Kronos? Reply with quote

Thank you gentlemen for all of your responses and agree that the best thing is to listen for myself except that as you point out, the COVID-19 situation makes that difficult. Stores remain closed.

A little perspective – recently ordered Sennheiser Momentum 3 wireless headphones (without trying out - yes not wise) based on reviews. Mostly for home listening and travel but also for Kronos (through wire option) as an additional "enhancing" source (have used AKG K240 Studio for ages with satisfaction). Sound on Momentum is great (plugged to phone & Mac) and the app allows eq change too. But with my all time favorite, Vogue M1 piano, I had a scare that Kronos had developed an issue (strange tin sound), which K240 soon showed was fake alarm. Kronos remains pristine, knocking on wood on my Titanium’s side panels.

So I thought about having another pro headphones that might be better sounding than K240 and allow even greater bliss. Because of present time at home, I find myself playing more. I would like the headphones to work well with Helix too.

Two of you used the term “YMMV”, sorry what does it mean? And could not understand that with the HD 650 headphones, will a balanced audio cable option make sense for Kronos?

GregC and others- I want to primarily practice playing Kronos and guitars. And as I have been telling myself for years to record some of my compositions eventually. Everything as hobby. I also have Kronos connected - Apogee Duet 2 - IMac - Adam Audio S3XH monitors. But when I play in this setup, the sound is lackluster with noise (I am doing something wrong but this is for another thread). When I watch videos/play music directly on Mac through S3XH, it is pure heaven.

Is your DT 990 Pro 250 ohm? If so, I presume that Kronos does not have any issues in driving 250 – 300 ohm headphones by itself?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate reading posts with undefined acronyms all over the place, but fell into the trap myself with YMMV.

It stands for "your mileage may vary" (used to say that people may experience a particular thing in different ways).

The Kronos will drive 200-300 Ohm headphones without issues. The power delivered to the phones will be almost identical to that delivered to 16 Ohms phones. e.g. for a 1 Volt RMS output from the Kronos headphone amplifier, 16 Ohm phones would receive 2.8milliwatts RMS, whilst 250 Ohm phones would receive 2.6mW.

omkar.sunkersett

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marshall Monitor -- Built to last; great audio quality!

Link: https://www.marshallheadphones.com/us/en/monitor.html
sumeiaverage

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2022 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I also think it’s a matter of personal preference. I like my Sennheiser HD 449. They are usually sold for about $150, which is a middle tier for me. I like these ones for good noise cancellation and a comfortable fit on my large head.
The fact is that there are so many headphone models, and you do have something to choose from. If you want to compare different models’ characteristics, then go to productz.com. It’s a well-made platform to compare different devices based on characteristics and reviews. It works especially well when comparing two devices from the same category.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: