Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos - Recording the real-time knob movement for PolySixEx
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
nightplayer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 1:24 am    Post subject: Kronos - Recording the real-time knob movement for PolySixEx Reply with quote

In Kronos program mode, Is there anyway to record the user real-time on-screen knob movements of an EXi program, like the PolySixEx into the sequencer?

I want to make real-time filter, resonance, ..., and other PolySixEx parameters changes, along the side with changing Karma styles, while I am playing this one PolySixEx program that I have chosen.

I want to be able to record all of that performance into the sequencer mode. Is there a way to achieve that and record all of that?

My main interest in the Kronos is the synth side of it, after that, the sequencing & workstations features of it come 2nd place for me.

I wanted to be able to use the Kronos as a true deep synthesizer with being able to tweak the on screen synth knobs, and be able to record all of my real-time performance into its sequencer.

Thank you.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 7:50 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos - Recording the real-time knob movement for PolyS Reply with quote

nightplayer wrote:
In Kronos program mode, Is there anyway to record the user real-time on-screen knob movements of an EXi program, like the PolySixEx into the sequencer?

I want to make real-time filter, resonance, ..., and other PolySixEx parameters changes, along the side with changing Karma styles, while I am playing this one PolySixEx program that I have chosen.

I want to be able to record all of that performance into the sequencer mode. Is there a way to achieve that and record all of that?

My main interest in the Kronos is the synth side of it, after that, the sequencing & workstations features of it come 2nd place for me.

I wanted to be able to use the Kronos as a true deep synthesizer with being able to tweak the on screen synth knobs, and be able to record all of my real-time performance into its sequencer.

Thank you.

It's not very clear : so, do you want to use the sequencer or not ?
nightplayer

PostPosted: Thu Apr 02, 2020 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes. I want use the sequencer.
I want to record every knob movement I make on the PolySixEx interface, under the program mode.

I hope that clarifies what I mean.

Thank you.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the answer is largely yes, though maybe not exactly like you think.

Let's take your filter cutoff as an example. I don't think there's a way for the Kronos sequencer to directly record you moving the filter cutoff knob on the polysix synth itself.

However, the sequencer can record movements of things that are assigned to control the cutoff. For the filter cutoff and resonance, they're already assigned to the KARMA/RT knobs 1 and 2 (the first 4 knobs are dedicated assignments). So with that MIDI track selected while you're recording and with the control surface in KARMA/RT mode, you can twist those knobs and record the movements, effectively recording changes to cutoff and resonance. I would also assume you can do this from the KARMA/RT knob screen without actually touching the physical control though I haven't tried it personally. I like physical controls. Smile

The last 4 KARMA/RT knobs are user assignable knobs that you can assign to most synth parameters, and it can record those movements. It can also record the movements of the tone adjust parameters that you can assign to control a large number of synth parameters. You can change the tone adjust assignments. It can also record movements of things like X/Y joystick, vector joystick, ribbon, etc. which you can assign to synth params of your choosing via AMS assigns.

One thing that's kind of cool and maybe worth mentioning in case it's not obvious. Using these AMS assignments, you can actually control more than 1 synth param at a time with the same control. You can change the params by different amounts, in different directions. So you can create kind of a super-controller and record its movements too.
tunaman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
It can also record movements of things like X/Y joystick, vector joystick, ribbon, etc. which you can assign to synth params of your choosing via AMS assigns.

Are you sure about that? I tried recording a performance which uses the joystick, and when played back the joystick bends were not there. I didn’t have time to dig in to see why, but it seemed logical that they should have been included in the sequence.
nightplayer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer - wow.... just wow.
You just have opened the gates of synth heavens for me with your comment.
What new grounds that I just have discovered based on your wonderful comment.

That tone adjust button, I always thought of it as means for making new sounds, but the fact that I am being able to record my real-time tweaks to it under the sequencer mode along with tweaking KARMA at the same time, is just wow.

This is EXACTLY why I bought a Kronos in the first place, is the synth side of it along with the workstation capabilities.

Korg not just only made the best synth on the planet, but on the galaxy and the entire universe.

I just hope that they were using the same industrial design language, and materials quality that they used with the glorious OASYS.

Oh well, I can not complain with having such a wonderful synth for my hands to play with.

Your name truly, stands for what it means: Light Bringer.

Thank you so much, now I can use the Kronos of it’s intended purpose that I bought it for. This makes me feel like having a new synth.

I had the Kronos since it came out, and life is just not giving me the opportunity to dedicate the enough time that this wonderful synth deserves.

Thanks again.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@nightplayer - glad I could take part in unlocking a new world for you. Smile Yep, the Kronos is outstanding!

@tunaman - yes, I'm sure. Not only can you record pitch bends/mod wheel movements in as you're recording but you can also go back and overdub them on top of the sequence later if you want to.

Not sure what you had happening there that it didn't work. The most likely thing that comes to mind is that maybe the pitch bend MIDI filter was turned on for that particular MIDI channel?
tunaman

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lightbringer wrote:
@nightplayer - glad I could take part in unlocking a new world for you. Smile Yep, the Kronos is outstanding!

@tunaman - yes, I'm sure. Not only can you record pitch bends/mod wheel movements in as you're recording but you can also go back and overdub them on top of the sequence later if you want to.

Not sure what you had happening there that it didn't work. The most likely thing that comes to mind is that maybe the pitch bend MIDI filter was turned on for that particular MIDI channel?

Not sure, but I’ll revisit it and see if I can find what I was missing now that you’ve confirmed it. It was merely a quick experiment at the time, just exploring some of the capabilities, but since that time I’ve figured out some other scenarios where it would be very useful.

Thanks much, and stay well!
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good luck! Post back if you have any problems. I’m sure the good folks here can help get you sorted.
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IMHO : most of the time with the sequencer, I prefer to record first a rough take of the track and, only after, I add the parameter changes and buttons movements with overdubs. The advantage is that you can make more precise corrections and have better controls on the sound as it moves on, and, most of all, you can return backward if you make any error.

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
nightplayer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exactly - my preferred method of recording as well.
nightplayer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In sequencer mode -Instead of playing the chords in real-time with making KARMA changes, Is there a way to have a midi loop on a track to trigger the chord changes for KARMA?

I find it more convenient/much-better-results to record my chord progressions into a track at first, then dedicate both of my hands for making KARMA scene/parameter changes after the fact, using the overdub recording mode.

Thank you.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think so. You can record the output of Karma into the sequencer but can't feed the sequencer into Karma.

So probably your best options here are:

1) Some combination of Karma hold, chord pads, nanopad

2) Pretty sure you can feed an external sequencer into a Karma module. This could be anything from a hardware sequencer, to a PC/Mac DAW, to an iPad sequencer or DAW app.
nightplayer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, I think that defeats the purpose of the Kronos being a self-contained all-in-one instrument, isn’t it?

Thanks for the reply.
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Sat Apr 04, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha, well possibly. Although I'm not sure it's designed as a self contained instrument, necessarily. It can be. But there's a ton of connectivity on the Kronos such that it can be like the command center for a lot of gear.

But I hear you. I would like to be able to do this too. But I don't think you can.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: