Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS Titanium Limited Edition
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ITguy54

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

benny ray wrote:
Don't see Korg doing any updates for the KRONOS writing is on the wall fellas.

How many different colors is available for the KRONOS NOW?

Rest my case.

There are still plenty of colors for Korg to use for the Kronos. While everyone else is moving forward with technology, like MIDI 2.0, for instance, Korg can keep milking the Kronos, with purple, pink, green, brown, etc. editions every year at NAMM. They could keep this up for another decade. They could try polka dot, stripes, psychedelic paint schemes etc.; anything but updating the Kronos with modern and current technology. With the current situation with the economy because of the coronavirus, I wonder how many people will actually be willing to shell out $4000 for a keyboard that old.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2020 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I get it, a Kronos re-paint with new sides is not a Kronos improvement.

some of us 9 year Kronos owners, or us life time Kronos people might consider a limited edition, a replacement .

You could question why ? Which is fair.

Is Kronos a permanent part of your rig or the Big Dog of your music production ? At that point, an owner has fully invested in Kronos , is practically married to it.

In my case, and maybe an outlier for long term Kronos owners, I have +70 originals based on Kronos. Creatively, Kronos is bottomless. If you are a creative musician , and productive on Kronos , you will get this.

Have mentioned this several times, IMO, Kronos is a long term purchase.
After 2 or 3 years on Kronos, your production might take off. After +5
years, you might realize Kronos is practically bottomless.

Thats just my experience. I suspect the long term experience is common,
for other reasons.

Some owners flip thru new expensive keyboards, every 2-3 years.
That suggests their musical out put is not reliant on Kronos.

I agree Kronos should be less expensive, for sure. Griping here about that doesn't go anywhere IMO.
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marketing gimmick... always be suspicious of terms like, “limited time”, “limited edition”... these are just terms to indicate scarcity in the supply-demand curve.

If I was on the fence on buying a Kronos, a new “limited edition” color isn’t going to push me over the fence to buy one.

But some people got enough money to just buy these limited editions for their collecting or a given color may sync up well with a band’s color scheme... like Whitesnake might want a white Kronos and the Red Hot Chili Peppers a red one... and Pink Floyd, ... well maybe not.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2020 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

average_male wrote:
Marketing gimmick... always be suspicious of terms like, “limited time”, “limited edition”... these are just terms to indicate scarcity in the supply-demand curve.

If I was on the fence on buying a Kronos, a new “limited edition” color isn’t going to push me over the fence to buy one.

But some people got enough money to just buy these limited editions for their collecting or a given color may sync up well with a band’s color scheme... like Whitesnake might want a white Kronos and the Red Hot Chili Peppers a red one... and Pink Floyd, ... well maybe not.

I hear you. I am cynical of marketing gimmicks.

Almost all mid-large co's have marketing depts. Thus they pull out the old playbook with 'special color ', limited etc.

Color or 'being different' sells. Its some kind of psychology.

Its almost transparent what's going on.
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I like the greater variety of different colors to choose from, car manufacturers do it so why not companies like KORG?
However, it is too bad that manufacturers usually release a new color for a product the moment a particular product is getting old and people are waiting for the successor in order to raise some sales and thus milk the old cow some more.
Purusha

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure that I'd update. A multi-touch capacitive display would be nice though.

I'm really not interested in the workstation (sequencer etc.) element. I just want a sound comprehensive design / performance instrument. Kronos really fits that role for me.

Not sure what a new Kronos-type machine would really give me beyond what I can do now with Kronos and a few other machines.

I'd really like to see a hardware upgrade path, if it comes to it.
Thunder Dump

PostPosted: Tue Apr 14, 2020 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

average_male wrote:

Very true. In the automotive business, whenever you see a "Limited Edition" of any mainstream vehicle it means it's the end of the lifecycle and they're looking to maximize profits on the tooling for that current body style and feature set. A new color, or a new feature, is minimal investment for tooling that has been paid for may times over. Just milking the cow one final time before putting it out to pasture.

So consider it the last hurrah of an old platform rather than the first hurrah of a new one.
Dniss
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems to me your missing the point. The Kronos isn't used for its technological performance, it's an instrument. So it doesn't need to have the "latest technology" midi 2.0, quad-core and the like, it's more than sufficient to make excellent music for most people. It surpasses what most musician need.

ITguy54 wrote:
benny ray wrote:

Rest my case.

There are still plenty of colors for Korg to use for the Kronos. While everyone else is moving forward with technology, like MIDI 2.0, for instance, Korg can keep milking the Kronos, with purple, pink, green, brown, etc. editions every year at NAMM. They could keep this up for another decade. They could try polka dot, stripes, psychedelic paint schemes etc.; anything but updating the Kronos with modern and current technology. With the current situation with the economy because of the coronavirus, I wonder how many people will actually be willing to shell out $4000 for a keyboard that old.
ITguy54

PostPosted: Wed Apr 15, 2020 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dniss wrote:
Seems to me your missing the point. The Kronos isn't used for its technological performance, it's an instrument. So it doesn't need to have the "latest technology" midi 2.0, quad-core and the like, it's more than sufficient to make excellent music for most people. It surpasses what most musician need.

ITguy54 wrote:
benny ray wrote:

Rest my case.

Nope, I'm not missing any point. This is the second year in a row that Korg has come out with a limited edition Kronos with a different color. And both times, they have included the Italian Grand Piano for free, while still charging the same price as the regular Kronos without the Italian Grand Piano. So what is the incentive to buy a regular Kronos? There's no argument that it is a powerful keyboard. But after 10 years, customers are going to wonder where this is going. These questions can't be dismissed as customers wanting every year for something new to buy. It's been a decade. And my comments were sarcastically commenting on the path Korg is currently taking. There are improvements that could be made after 10 years. Just look at the Korg synths with the programmable digital oscillator. Doesn't that sound like a perfect addition to the current Kronos design?
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2020 2:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been opinionated about how Korg proceeds or ' not ' proceeds with Kronos.

I suggested , several times, go to the very top, and provided the contact information of the top people in Korg Japan. [I recall someone thought that was ludicrous, but everyone is entitled to their opinion ].

its April 15, 2020. After many years of etc etc, I simply accept to not put into energy into requests. However, everyone is free to post as they feel or want. No problems.

said this a few times, as a 9 yr owner, I feel Kronos is bottomless for a creative person. I recorded my 75th song yesterday. I am working on #76 already. It is so much fun to 100% concentrate and compose on Kronos.

Its great that everyone has their own aspirations and requirements and expectations of a +$3000 keyboard.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: