Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Control iPad synths with second keybed connected via USB

View previous topic :: View next topic  
menz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 8:41 pm    Post subject: Control iPad synths with second keybed connected via USB Reply with quote

Hi there,

with my Kronos 88, I am using a midi keyboard connected via USB as a second keybed. I am also using an iPad running various synths (iWavestation, iM1, ...) which is also connected via USB (midi and audio). This setup works like a charm and is rock solid.

There is one thing, I have not figured out though. In combinations, I usually run the second keybed on a different midi channel than global, let's say channel 2, which works fine. I can also play the iPad synths on a yet another midi channel (let's say 3) from the Kronos by setting it to "EXT" in the combi on the respective channel. Question: Is there a way to have the second keybed trigger the iPad synths via midi? When I set the second keybed and the iPad synths to the same midi channel (with "EXT" in the combi) the Kronos does not seem to route the midi events from the second keybed to the iPad. Is there anything I can do about that?

Cheers,
menz
Mersip

PostPosted: Sun Mar 29, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the same problem and haven't found a solution.

My slave keyboard (Korg TR) is connected using the Midi connectors to the Kronos, and the iPad is connected to the Kronos using the USB. I can play the iPad using the Kronos in the way you described, but haven't worked out how to use the TR, which would be preferable for synth solos given the weightless keys.

I did wonder whether Karma might provide a solution (it is an incredible machine), but don't know enough to find a solution.

Kronos2 73 and TR-76
Theramin
PreSonus StudioLive AR16 mixer
Roundandaround

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:20 am    Post subject: Re: Control iPad synths with second keybed connected via USB Reply with quote

menz wrote:
Hi there,

with my Kronos 88, I am using a midi keyboard connected via USB as a second keybed. I am also using an iPad running various synths (iWavestation, iM1, ...) which is also connected via USB (midi and audio). This setup works like a charm and is rock solid.

There is one thing, I have not figured out though. In combinations, I usually run the second keybed on a different midi channel than global, let's say channel 2, which works fine. I can also play the iPad synths on a yet another midi channel (let's say 3) from the Kronos by setting it to "EXT" in the combi on the respective channel. Question: Is there a way to have the second keybed trigger the iPad synths via midi? When I set the second keybed and the iPad synths to the same midi channel (with "EXT" in the combi) the Kronos does not seem to route the midi events from the second keybed to the iPad. Is there anything I can do about that?

Cheers,
menz

That won‘t work.
You could route all this through a MacBook using Mainstage or try the interfaces by iconnectivity.
menz

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 8:52 am    Post subject: Re: Control iPad synths with second keybed connected via USB Reply with quote

Roundandaround wrote:

That won‘t work.
You could route all this through a MacBook using Mainstage or try the interfaces by iconnectivity.

Thanks for the reply. Would it work using the regular DIN midi ports (midi thru !?) instead of USB midi? is that a limitation of the USB midi implementation?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos' MIDI Thru port supplies a buffered version of the MIDI data arriving at the Kronos' MIDI In port, allowing devices to be daisy chained together. None of the MIDI activity occurring inside the Kronos is routed to MIDI Thru. The circuitry is just not there to make this possible.

Roundandaround

PostPosted: Mon Mar 30, 2020 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
The Kronos' MIDI Thru port supplies a buffered version of the MIDI data arriving at the Kronos' MIDI In port, allowing devices to be daisy chained together. None of the MIDI activity occurring inside the Kronos is routed to MIDI Thru. The circuitry is just not there to make this possible.

You could use a midi merger and a DIN to USB converter. But then you can‘t route the iPad‘s audio through the K.
menz

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2020 7:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK - got it. Thanks!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: