Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is it possible to buy just the korg kronos keybed?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mpabisz

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 2:49 pm    Post subject: Is it possible to buy just the korg kronos keybed? Reply with quote

Im not too sure what to do here. Lots of black keys on my kronos 2 88 are staying stuck down. nothing was spilled on it. I took it apart, and looked at the mechanisms in the keybed itself. I honestly dont know/cant find what causing them to stay pressed down. All the white keys work fine. Ive had this problem for about 6 months now.

I dont know of anyone that could repair it. I would like to buy just a new keybed at this point. there are other issues too, but nothing bad like keys not wanting to come back up. I cant seem to find the RH3 keybed only online it seems.

Is it possible? thanks!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't recall seeing the entire keyed mechanism, the RH3 for sale.
I vaguely recall a dependency at getting at the inside service menu to recognize another RH3 keyboard. IOW, its not plug and play.

anyway, 6 months is a long time to have those issues. It could be your key bed needs to be re-aligned and tightened down.

That is my guess work- I don't recall the history on your K2, when you purchased, new/used, etc etc. Whether you are in warranty or out.

I try to give accurate advice - knowing the background details might influence how I reply to your post.

Thanks

Last edited by GregC on Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
tunaman

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any reputable independent repair shops in your area? I’d be inclined to talk with one first and see what they might suggest before trying to buy a full keybed.

From the images and videos I’ve seen, and applying some logic reasoning, the assembly is the sum of the parts and it appears that the individual parts are able to be replaced (I’ve seen a vid or two on replacing keys, for instance), so I’d expect that someone with experience repairing keyboards would likely be able to sort out the issue.

Good luck either way - hope you can get it back to normal quickly.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 15, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

You very probably don't need to replace the action for the problem you mention. Sound instead like out of position things, worn plastic supports, unglued stop felt, etc. If you would take pics we might be able to tell better.

Part is parts used to have the three RH3 models, currently they seem to have only the 73 and 61 versions. More importantly, they also have other replacement parts depending what is faulty.
JFree

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, it's doubtful it needs replaced. They are a little over $500 if you can find. I had some issues recently and have quite a bit of experience ripping them apart. I don't think it's an alignment issue, usually that just affects the white keys if they're physically contacting the front plate. What are your other issues? Could be as simple as a broken, or misplaced key spring. Interference from a damaged felt.
average_male

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with others, shouldn’t need a whole new keybed.
It sounds like the keybed shifted up and is hitting the Kronos housing/chassis on the top of the black keys. Was the Kronos screws on the bottom messed with or are not tighten down as of now?

The keybed is pretty simple to service, just need a bit of patience. Here is a video that can get you started in digging into the issue (removing white keys first to get to the black keys for removal): https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=5t8XJGu5AWw

I’d also check Reverb.com for parts first, cheaper and free shipping from this seller: https://reverb.com/shop/gear-zone-music

I fixed my keybed that had broken keys, black and white.
mpabisz

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2020 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey everyone, thanks for the comments!

Maybe Ill try emailing an authorized korg repair shop. I dont have any near me, so I am hesitant to try, but maybe it better to do that rather than spending 500$ plus.

Also too, I have had the keybed apart. Its been awhile since I have had it apart, so I dont remember it all. but from what i do rememeber, is that it is fairly simple. Its actually so simple, that I cant understand why the black keys stay stuck. Maybe it is work out felts. Ill looko again soon and report back.
average_male

PostPosted: Thu Mar 26, 2020 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please do report back, very interested to know the root cause. Given you stated it was taken apart previously, my bet is the keybed creeped up against the chassis.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 27, 2020 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

average_male wrote:
Please do report back, very interested to know the root cause. Given you stated it was taken apart previously, my bet is the keybed creeped up against the chassis.

That would be my bet as well.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: