Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Volume Pedal
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FB Music

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2020 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also consider the Yamaha FC-7. Good price and build quality. And it works straight out of the box on a Kronos!
KapnKrunch

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
OK. Unmodified, the Roland EV-5 pedal will work with the Kronos, but the signal levels generated internally in the Kronos, as pedal position is varied, will be very different to the levels obtained when the Tip and Ring jack connections are reversed. The link below shows these levels plotted, based on calculations that take the expression potentiometer to be a 10k linear type. Most of the pedal effect, when using the unmodified pedal, occurs in the first 10% of pedal travel, whereas the signal changes linearly with pedal travel after reversing the Tip and Ring connections.

https://app.box.com/s/9wuv4f0dfg0bzsheefguvtyuicfjdn5k

I experienced this "off/on" effect of the EV-5 used as a volume pedal, and I tried replacing the 10K pot with a 50K pot (audio taper), and it really didn't make any difference with the Kronos. (I also have a Yamaha FC7 pedal - which works beautifully - and has a 50K audio taper pot, and figured the change would fix the EV-5 issue.)

However, using your suggestion, even now with the 50K pot installed, resulted in a nice smooth effect especially at low volumes (nice for string pad fades).

To accomplish the tip-ring swap, I swapped the red and white wires at inside the pedal at the main pot. I did have to adjust the mechanical position of the attachment lever a bit so at minimum position, the volume was zero.

One of the problems with the EV-5 is the short mechanical throw. The pedal doesn't move the pot through its entire travel, whereas the Yamaha FC7 has a much greater throw making it easier to control volume.

Nonetheless, your mod turned my EV-5 into a very usable backup.

Thanks so much for your post!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: