Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Think long and hard about buying a Kronos. It's great, until
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asteralesmusic

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

And how does Korg figure out how much supply to 're-order ' to support all K's sold after 9-10 years ? And to feed the numerous Korg auth repair centers + country part distributors.

It's their flagship workstation. They're a multi-national corporation. Figure it out.

GregC wrote:

None of us are going to change how Korg operates. And knowledge is power.
And no one likes surprises.

A new or potential Kronos owner can easily use this forum to assess the risk/reward of owning a Kronos.

Right. So the solution would be to spend 1.5-2x the amount you're planning on if you want to have the privilege of owning a Kronos. Just in case. Because they can't figure out how to keep essential parts supplied. Brilliant.
tunaman

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, to be fair I doubt that this is unique or endemic to Korg or the Kronos. I suspect that display issues are relatively rare, aside from user damage, so I would suspect that most (if not all) manufacturers would have limited stock of infrequently-used specialty (pricey) replacement components.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will go 1 farther.

The LCD display is an expensive component. Corporations don't like extra expenses. They don't want inventory of anything sitting around for a 1 year or more.

99.8% of all decisions is about the money. Some say 99.9%

And at some point , Kronos goes EOL. This is inevitable.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asteralesmusic wrote:
GregC wrote:
t;]
None of us are going to change how Korg operates. And knowledge is power.
And no one likes surprises.

A new or potential Kronos owner can easily use this forum to assess the risk/reward of owning a Kronos.

Right. So the solution would be to spend 1.5-2x the amount you're planning on if you want to have the privilege of owning a Kronos. Just in case. Because they can't figure out how to keep essential parts supplied. Brilliant.

Look before you leap.

If I screw up in my career or my business its on me.

I suppose not everyone plans or sees it that way. Its a mindset.
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Look before you leap.

If I screw up in my career or my business its on me.

I suppose not everyone plans or sees it that way. Its a mindset.

You may not have intended it but many of your statements here are patronizing. There's no excuse for these manufactures taking months to deliver replacement parts to their service centers. You mentioned an expensive car breaking down...if the auto industry took 3 months to ship an alternator there wouldn't be an auto industry. So it's a question of priorities.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Devnor"][quote="GregC"]

I think folks should plan. Hope for the best and plan for the worst is fair advice. especially on a used Kronos out of warranty or a new K in warranty.

My context is also worst case. You are the keyboard performer at an important gig. Band and material
relies on your Fantom or Kronos. You only have the 1 board.

Fantom or Kronos goes down. Does not power up.

Band looks at you. What do you do ?
asteralesmusic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now keyboard players should be carrying 2 Kronos or Fantom's with us to all our gigs??? Ok. WE got it Greg Rolling Eyes You buy 2 of everything because you're a prepper. Here's a cookie. Good for you. Your inability to understand why this is a problem, and not some failure on the consumer's part makes you sound like a Korg stooge. Do they pay you to make patronizing excuses for them? Is that how you can afford "backup" Kronos'? Apparently the stooges are the rest of us who foolishly assume buying a $4000 product that's STILL TO THIS DAY PRODUCED shouldn't have to wait 2 months for a repair that takes less than 2 hours, for a part that is essential for it to function. I'd tell you what to do with your condescension but you're so smart and prepared you should already know.

Last edited by asteralesmusic on Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
asteralesmusic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Devnor wrote:

You may not have intended it but many of your statements here are patronizing. There's no excuse for these manufactures taking months to deliver replacement parts to their service centers. You mentioned an expensive car breaking down...if the auto industry took 3 months to ship an alternator there wouldn't be an auto industry. So it's a question of priorities.

This is it exactly. There aren't excuses and if there is then we as consumers should be able to get straight answers up front - if not directly, then through the authorized repair centers Korg itself provides! The frustration isn't just mine, it's been echoed by the tech at the service center I took it to. It's not at all unreasonable in the least to expect a major multi-national company who sells a flagship product at most major instrument retailers, available for delivery within days, to be able to provide the essential replacement components in a time-efficient manner.
asteralesmusic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tunaman wrote:
Well, to be fair I doubt that this is unique or endemic to Korg or the Kronos. I suspect that display issues are relatively rare, aside from user damage, so I would suspect that most (if not all) manufacturers would have limited stock of infrequently-used specialty (pricey) replacement components.

I understand your point to an extent. But the touch interface is an essential, constantly used component. I'm not up in arms about a knob or button, jack, etc.
Docewil

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A touch screen is a cheap product, maybe 10-20$. Shure its 3rd party but should be replaceable by any 3party screen. I think every local repair service can replace it within a few days. A workstation like kronos should have a "quick repair" service and if Korg can't guarantee a quick tepair, they should work with local repair centers. Nowadays products are not focussed on repair. A problem is solved be exchanging whole parts as mainboards. On the other hand its wise to have something in spare if your equipment dies on a gig. I think a "bread and butter" source is enough for most musicians for a gig- rescue i.e. a laptop.
asteralesmusic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Docewil wrote:
On the other hand its wise to have something in spare if your equipment dies on a gig. I think a "bread and butter" source is enough for most musicians for a gig- rescue i.e. a laptop.

Fortunately for most of my band gigs, I'm able to mostly get buy with my Nord Electro 5D 73 with the split capability. But for theater productions that I get asked to do, and specialty cover gigs etc, having setlists, combos, seamless patch changes etc (all the features you plop down $4k on a Kronos for, and rely on the touchscreen to access) is crucial. I got away from being a laptop player when I could afford a decent workstation because of the potential for software bugs, crashes etc (a Motif was my first, then Motif XF, then the Kronos). After speaking with the couple of stateside part suppliers, it sounds like a bunch of Korg parts are on backorder and have been for a while (confirmed by the tech at my repair facility), so I feel justified with my OP as a cautionary tale for anyone trying to decide if they should buy a Kronos or not. If a company can't keep crucial parts in supply, maybe they should avoid buying that company's products. I feel a bit bad for being so salty at GregC but those patronizing replies are presumptuous and reek of privileged superiority - not all working musicians are in a position to buy multiple expensive workstations. According to GregC, I better have two laptops for backup, in case the one I have to backup my Kronos crashes. I really do get the idea, and perhaps at some point it will be a reality for me, it's just not feasible for many and the condescending attitude about it stinks almost as bad as Korg being unable to source essential parts for current product lines.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not really a matter of condescension. When it's your livelihood, feeding family, paying bills, depends on things working as they should, and a professional just doesn't take chances. I had a piece of ultra reliable gear that never failed. It has worked first time every time for years. Except it did fail, just the other day!! The back up worked. It would have been rather embarrassing, otherwise.
asteralesmusic

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
It's not really a matter of condescension. When it's your livelihood, feeding family, paying bills, depends on things working as they should, and a professional just doesn't take chances. I had a piece of ultra reliable gear that never failed. It has worked first time every time for years. Except it did fail, just the other day!! The back up worked. It would have been rather embarrassing, otherwise.

Seriously, I get it. But it sort of reinforces the point I made in my OP. If you want to buy a Kronos because it's one of the best tools available for versatile, working, professional/semi-professional musicians you'll need to save another large sum of money to get and keep something to use in its place, since keeping components essential to the functionality those musicians rely on available when they're needed is not a priority of the manufacturer.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2020 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

asteralesmusic wrote:

Sorry but this is life particularly when it comes to any essential gear that is relied on - anything comprising technology for any business will sensibly need to have disaster recovery solutions - not just a Kronos, just anything.
My main business involves computer technology and like Greg, I have backup copies of my gear. The fact that right now your local distributor cannot source certain parts is very frustrating and I certainly empathise, however if you're serious about your music business, then a disaster plan and equipment is essential.

I hope you find peace and a speedy solution.

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
gminorcoles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 14, 2020 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My Kronos was 2900 dollars not 4000. If I was a professional musician I would have two of them, whatever my main keyboard was, I would buy two.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: