Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Easiest way to record- DAW or Kronos Sequencer?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apologies for my misunderstanding. I confess I didn't read through every previous post in this thread.

I hope you get it sorted out. I think you'd be best off getting a dedicated Audio interface, which you seem to be aware of. There are plenty of affordable ones on the market. If it's just for the One Song, and you never want to do any other songs, well of course it may not be worth your while.

That said, and especially in regards to your singing, just keep doing it...over and over. The more you sing, the more you can sing. Try different keys. Different approaches to the way you deliver the words / sounds of your voice.

There are also many many tricks and plugins to help with your voice.

Good Luck...this music thing is either in you or it isn't. If you have it in you, you'll find a way to deliver it (says me while setting up for yet another session while waiting for the guitarists to show...and wondering why I keep doing this amongst the maelstrom of works out there..Haaa...)
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
J.S. Bach

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I've been singing professionally for over 50 years but I'm a much better keyboard player than singer. Fortunately most of the bands I've been in didn't require me to sing much. Gregg Allmann was fine with me just playing lol.
Rigel

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am DAWless. I use a Tascam Portastudio as a multitrack recorder and mixer standing at the center of my rig. A few times I have attempted to use the Kronos as my main recorder. The idea is very pleasing, Kronos being the center of all MIDI and Audio..
Tonight I came across this topic. I carried out a simple test if Kronos was as good as the Portastudio. I connected my Kurzweil PC3K to the analog inputs of my Kronos, set the mic/line switch to line, turn the gain all the way down, created a simple patch on the Kurz to play a simple sine wave, turned the volume on the Kurz all the way up, this gave me a level of -12 db on the Kronos sampling meters, which is the optimum elevel for digital recording. Everything mentioned ran at 24bits@48kHz. I then recorded a few seconds of silence, then a few seconds of sine wave, a few seconds of silence again. Then I copied the recorded stereo audio file onto my USB stick. Without changing anything on the Kurz, I recorded the same thing on my Portastudio again with the level -12 db, and copied the stereo file again on the same USB stick. I then checked both files (from Kronos and the Portastudio) on Audacity. The levels of sine wave sound were -12 db on both files. But the silent segments exhibited a different noise floor. Kronos silence was -88 db, while Portastudio silence was -98. As seen, the Kronos audio ports are about 10 db noisier than Portastudio, the noise floor of the Kronos was -88 db. This is more than the acceptable noise levels of today's standards. If anyone can confirm or find evidence against my findings please announce from here. t-Thanks for reading.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 3:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
Kronos silence was -88 db, while Portastudio silence was -98. As seen, the Kronos audio ports are about 10 db noisier than Portastudio, the noise floor of the Kronos was -88 db. This is more than the acceptable noise levels of today's standards.

Are you talking about S/N or noise level.
I am quite confused, because an acceptable noise floor is -65db or lower.
Regardless, From my own experience I have found Kronos inputs not the best, suitable for demos, but not commercial records.
Rigel

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 7:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Rigel wrote:
Kronos silence was -88 db, while Portastudio silence was -98. As seen, the Kronos audio ports are about 10 db noisier than Portastudio, the noise floor of the Kronos was -88 db. This is more than the acceptable noise levels of today's standards.

Are you talking about S/N or noise level.
I am quite confused, because an acceptable noise floor is -65db or lower.
Regardless, From my own experience I have found Kronos inputs not the best, suitable for demos, but not commercial records.

I am not a sound engineer, so I am not sure what those numbers really mean. These are the facts: Tascam Portastudio is a lousy Smile all-in-one workstation, it's far from being the perfect recording device, but it quite prettily does the job. Another recording machine has an about 10 db higher noise floor than he Kronos. I will not change my main recorder after this.
This is only a test for the difference of the noise floor of two recorders connected to the same line source. It does not indicate that Kronos is a noisy machine. On the contrary, Kronos' signal is the cleanest of all my synthesizers. But its sampler/recorder has a noisy gain/input stage.
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: