Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg President interview.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:37 pm    Post subject: Korg President interview. Reply with quote

I saw this on LinkedIn didn't know him before nor payed any attention until now.

https://msretailer.com/joe-castronovo-president-korg-usa-inc/

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
sani

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What amazes me personally:
He doesn't play an instrument. I admit, I don't know much about business and how corporations work, but I'd expect that the director of a musical company which produces keyboards, knows how to use and play them. He mentions Steve Jobs. I wonder, would the iPhone or the Mac be what it is if Jobs didn't use it?
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sani wrote:
He doesn't play an instrument. I admit, I don't know much about business and how corporations work, but I'd expect that the director of a musical company which produces keyboards, knows how to use and play them. He mentions Steve Jobs. I wonder, would the iPhone or the Mac be what it is if Jobs didn't use it?

He is the president of Korg USA which is a wholly-owned subsidiary of Korg Inc (HQ Japan). The business is largely distributing Korg products throughout USA and Canada.

"Korg USA is the official US distributor of Korg, VOX, Blackstar, Spector, Tanglewood, Cole Clark, Crush, Sakae, Waldorf, Right On!, Sequenz and Stay products and offers customer service and product support to customers that purchased these products in the United States. Korg USA is also the official Canadian distributor of Blackstar, Spector, Cole Clark and Right On! products and offers customer service and product support to customers that purchased these products in Canada."

I don't know where the US-based Korg R&D (developers of the Kronos, OASYS, Wavestate, Wavestation etc.) fits into the corporate structure.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Korg President interview. Reply with quote

Mr_SamDoogie wrote:
I saw this on LinkedIn didn't know him before nor payed any attention until now.

https://msretailer.com/joe-castronovo-president-korg-usa-inc/

Korg is HQ'd in Japan.

Korg USA is 1 of 20 world wide distributors.

An interview with Mr Kato would be more interesting.

https://www.korg.com/jp/corporate/englishinfo/
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Re: Korg President interview. Reply with quote

GregC wrote:

Korg is HQ'd in Japan.

Korg USA is 1 of 20 world wide distributors.

Korg USA is a wholly-owned subsidiary just like Korg UK, Korg Italy, Korg Vietnam and a few more. Korg USA has the R&D group which has designed numerous products. When Korg purchased the company that became Korg UK they also got the rights to VOX. Korg Italy makes the arrangers and keyboards like the SV1/2. Korg Vietnam has at least one factory where many products are manufactured. Yes, the all act as distributors in their respective countries. There are of course independent distributors throughout the world.

https://www.korg.com/us/corporate/profile/

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
megamarkd
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sani wrote:

Dave Smith doesn't play either, but loves designing ways to mess with audio frequencies to create cutting edge electronic instruments. I guess that is still closer to the product than being a veteran in the business world. And also DSI/Sequential are a way smaller operation than any of the "Big Three" Japanese synth companies.
Stuff I'm using: Umm right now, well there's a Volca Drum, a Micro Freak, an ADX-1, a Pulse, a Blofeld, a UNO Drum, KeyStep/Beatstep Pro/Keystep Pro (one of each), a Circuit, a LiveTrak L-12 and this nonsense: The Brief-case as it was about a bit over a year ago (the the complete ridiculous GAS monster collection here)and here
Mr_SamDoogie

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've learned to read about Korg culture as a place of inspirational internal instrumental barter and musical depth coming together from their world wide offices ,details of their product fascinated and baffled me. Hearing you guys been in it for years is envious experience this company's growth through their product.

I think that Steve Jobs comparison just about right someone overseeing and providing guidance for great products and services , yeah well don't have to play themselves someone vision drives the market.

I had no clue all those distribution brands where part of Korg.

Korg MW1, Casio PX5S & XW-G1, Roland JD-Xi,Yamaha Montage 7, Roland D-05, Bass Station II, Cubase Elements, Sonar X3 Producer.Handfull of IOs Apps iMPC,Animoog : Korg IMS-20,Module, IM1, Gadget etc.
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:13 am    Post subject: korg pres Reply with quote

korg pres
well this can be a good thing!!
he leaves all the design up to the teams!!
and is all biz!!
he is not like jobs or the others where they are an owner operator style of biz..
management can be just that!!

although I would love to see him take a few classes in music!!
then maybe a walk in the music developers shoes might help with decisions in the board room!!

and understand why to spend $25k on relocation of a knob might be a good way to go!!

he may have a good grasp on this!!
time will tell!!
and it all depends on his dev teams!!
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:54 pm    Post subject: Re: korg pres Reply with quote

iowagold wrote:
korg pres
well this can be a good thing!!
he leaves all the design up to the teams!!
and is all biz!!
he is not like jobs or the others where they are an owner operator style of biz..
management can be just that!!

although I would love to see him take a few classes in music!!
then maybe a walk in the music developers shoes might help with decisions in the board room!!

and understand why to spend $25k on relocation of a knob might be a good way to go!!

he may have a good grasp on this!!
time will tell!!
and it all depends on his dev teams!!

Again we're talking about KorgUSA which largely functions as a distributor and product decisions are made in Japan (with a few exceptions). The only development team he could possibly be in charge of would be Korg R&D which is based in California (KorgUSA is New York-based). I don't know if Korg R&D reports to NY or Japan. Recently, Dan P remarked that the original Wavestate prototype was 5-octaves. It was HQ's (Japan's) decision to make it three.

Busch.
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
ecently, Dan P remarked that the original Wavestate prototype was 5-octaves. It was HQ's (Japan's) decision to make it three.

Shame they didn’t offer both options. Personally I’d prefer to spend the extra money to get the 5 octave version.

Regards
Sharp.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Re: korg pres Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
[

Again we're talking about KorgUSA which largely functions as a distributor and product decisions are made in Japan (with a few exceptions). The only development team he could possibly be in charge of would be Korg R&D which is based in California (KorgUSA is New York-based).

I don't know if Korg R&D reports to NY or Japan. Recently, Dan P remarked that the original Wavestate prototype was 5-octaves. It was HQ's (Japan's) decision to make it three.

Busch.

Korg is an interesting co in terms of operation.

In general, I follow the $ on how product or business decisions are made.

Possibly, the CA R & D group [ which I admire] or team gets a budget for the year and for projects. Since the products are sold word wide for the most part, Korg Japan likely initiates funding. Thats the classic top down. with more management layer from Korg USA in NY.
danatkorg
Product Manager, Korg R&D

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2020 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: korg pres Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
Recently, Dan P remarked that the original Wavestate prototype was 5-octaves. It was HQ's (Japan's) decision to make it three.

Hi Bill! I'm not sure what you're thinking of there, but that sounds like a misunderstanding.
For technical support, please contact your Korg Distributor: http://www.korg.co.jp/English/Distributors/
Regretfully, I cannot offer technical support directly.
If you need to contact me for purposes other than technical support, please do not send PMs; instead, send email to dan@korgrd.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: