Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

KRONOS: Multiple Midi Chn from External Controller..?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 5:18 am    Post subject: KRONOS: Multiple Midi Chn from External Controller..? Reply with quote

I'm trying to figure out how to play two different Midi Channels in Kronos from an external controller keyboard.
I've just bought an Arturia KeyStep, and want to use it in a 'Live' band setup for playing Arpeggios, short Sequences, and jamming melodies etc. At times I'd be sat at the Kronos itself, while at other times I would be standing front + centre with a guitar on and a vocal mic.

I'd have the KeyStep connected to Kronos with a long USB / Midi cable, and I could play the Kronos from KeyStep, as well as send Arpeggios and Sequences from KeyStep to Kronos...WHILE ALSO playing to a different 'sound' within the Combi of Kronos. A 'Combi' in Kronos can consist of up to 16 different 'programs' or 'sounds' each being setup to receive on a dedicated Midi channel, so I'm not sure why the following happens.

I've seen a post in the Arturia forum describing how to have a sequence playing in KeyStep and then by changing the Midi Ch in KeyStep, you can play along with the Arp / Seq using a different sound from the source, in my case Kronos.

I tried doing this with the Sequence in KeyStep playing a Kronos sound on Midi Ch-1, and I had another sound in Kronos on Midi Ch-2, but when I changed the Midi Ch in KeyStep by holding Shift+Play/Pause button (their suggestion) it just changed the Midi Chn and sound that the Sequence was triggering in Kronos, instead of allowing me to play along with a different sound.

I tried another method I'd seen on YouTube where the guy held Shift and Oct+ on KeyStep to do this, but I had no success their either.

It may well be a case of the Kronos needing some special settings adjustment, but I can't see why or how this would be, because with KeyStep in 'Stopped' mode, I can easily play the different sounds on different Midi Channels in Kronos by changing Midi Chn on KeyStep. For recording and live gigging I've basically been using the Kronos fairly simply, as in making my own Combis / Setlists etc, but not using Karma or having the need for multiple Midi channels.

I do notice that in the Global-Midi page for Kronos, only Ch 1-16 are available, and not an Omni, so I don't know if this would be contributing to the problem.

All advice on the best workaround for this for a Live session environment will be gratefully appreciated...Cheers
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2020 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check the synchronization clock source, there are dip-switches at the back of Arturia KeyStep.
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your reply Poseidon

I have the KeyStep set to 'Internal' clock as it is the unit sending the Arp & or Sequence TO the Kronos.

I'm not sure what you were suggesting..?
Maybe my post was a bit rambling.

I want to play the Kronos from the KeyStep, via Arps & or Sequences, as well as KeySteps keyboard..in this scenario just using the Kronos for the SOUNDS.

Basically I just want the Kronos to receive the Arpeggio or Sequence etc from KeyStep, which it is doing properly.
I then want to play a 2nd sound in Kronos simultaneously on a different Midi Channel. This is not happening.

It plays the sound that I have assigned to part #1 in a Combi, on Midi Chn-1.

I want to then be able to play, free-form, from the KeyStep, a sound on part #2 of the Kronos Combi, which is on Midi Chn-2. NOT a Seq or Arp, but actually playing the keys / notes/melodies.

What's happening is that when I change the 'Send' Midi channel on KeyStep, in order to play the 2nd Combi sound, it also changes so that the Arp / Sequence from KeyStep is playing/triggering the sound on Part-2 of the Combi, on Midi Chnl-2.

I don't see how the Clock source would affect this setup, as with it set to Internal, it IS playing the sounds from Kronos, just not allowing a 2nd sound to be played at the same time.

I'm fairly sure it's possible to have KeyStep sending out on more than one Midi channel, which is why I'm wondering if this issue is something to do with the way in which Kronos is treating the Incoming Midi signals?

I only got the KeyStep a couple of days ago, and when I tried to post to the Arturia Forum, my post wasn't being initiated...the "I Am Not A Robot' section, answering questions etc etc, kept saying it couldn't post my message because I hadn't answered the questions correctly, which was pure bunkum. This happened 6 or 7 times in a row over a 30 minute period. Bit of a bummer for an Arturia newbie, cos I can't even get onto the forum, even though I have registered and set up my account at Arturia and their Forum.

Thanks again, and here's hoping there is a way around this little mountain.
iMAC OSX 10.11.3, 3.4 GHz i7, 12 GB Ram | MacBookPro OSX 10.10, 2.5Ghz, 16GB Ram | A+H Qu16 | ProTools 12.6 | Korg Kronos2 61 | MicroKorg | N.I. Komplete - Kontrol | Alesis DM10 | Avid Eleven Rack | Slate VMS One | Fender, Maton, Epiphone Guitars |Allen+Heath Qu-16 | Etc Etc...
KorganizR

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Victor,

I'm not sure whether in COMBI mode the Kronos can respond to other incoming MIDI channels except for the Global channel. I am suspecting that that is the problem you have.
EDIT: This is assumption proved to be wrong, see my post below.

However, in SEQ mode, the Kronos does respond to all incoming MIDI signals if you configure it correctly.
You don't need to use the recording options of the SEQ mode, just the track setup. You can see the SEQ Song as a "COMBI" that supports multiple MIDI channels. The SEQ tracks represent the timbres of the "COMBI".

What I'd suggest is that in SEQ mode, you use the upper right menu 'Copy from Combi' and copy your Combi into a SEQ Song. Make sure you select all relevant IFXs-All, MFX and TFX settings.
Then afterwards, and this is essential, you go into Track Parameter | MIDI | Status, and change all relevant tracks from INT (Internal) to BTH (Both), so that they also react on messages coming from an external MIDI source, in your case the messages coming from the KeyStep.
Obviously, the tracks' MIDI channels themselves have to be correct also, but you have already done that in your Combi timbres. They get copied into the SEQ Song track setup, so that should be okay.

This is the way I'd approach it. Perhaps there is another or better way (maybe even in COMBI mode, I don't know).
The downside of having to use the SEQ mode is that the Song is not directly available at startup of the Kronos. You have to specifically store the Song (or group of Songs) as a .SNG file, and after startup of the Kronos, you need to load the .SNG file in the SEQ via DISK mode.

Hope this helps.
Kind regards,
KorganizR

Last edited by KorganizR on Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:53 am; edited 1 time in total
Poseidon

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. Make sure that you have the latest 1.1 firmware update.

Just because you bought the KeyStep does not mean it comes with the latest firmware.

Double check !

There are major changes and improvements
For update, go to - > https://www.arturia.com/products/keystep/details

2. Set your KeyStep to USB ( or MIDI, if you use MIDI cables ) Clock. The KeyStep must be REBOOTED to take effect.

With INTERNAL clock, KeyStep is MASTER, when you select MIDI or USB clock, the KeyStep is SLAVE.
You would use MIDI

3. Set your KeyStep to MIDI channel 1 ( The same channel that your Kronos is set in Global MIDI Channel, default is 1 )

Hold the SHIFT button, and press the key that corresponds to desired MIDI channel ( 1 )

4. To change MIDI channel for KEYBOARD PLAY mode

Hold the Shift and OCT+ at the same time, and select desired channel ( 2 .. 3 .. )
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@Poseidon - Thanks again for your suggestion. Maybe you misunderstood me. I intend using KeyStep as MASTER not SLAVE, hence I have it set to INTERNAL clock.

KeyStep will send the ARP / SEQ to Kronos (Sound)...Kronos is only the "sound module" so to speak. I then want to play 'a different sound' in Kronos from another Midi channel in KeyStep.

I was aware of your suggested setup, but I already have latest firmware, and had already tried using the KeyboardPlay function. With your suggestion when I try to change midi-send channel for 2nd sound in Kronos, it doesn't change.

If I've misunderstood you, please let me know. I do appreciate your help.
In the mean time I'm going to try out the suggestion from KorganizR posted above.

Shall report back later with results, which hopefully will be Success...
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@KorganizR...many thanks for your suggestion. I'm thinking you may be right on the money here. You'll see above that I've tried Poseidon's suggestion without success.

I'm going to spend time now on your tip. It will be interesting, as I've not really ventured into the Sequence / Track modes in Kronos. The one time I tried using it as a Workstation recorder, I was left wanting. Too fiddly...it sent me rushing back to my DAW.

That's the thing about Kronos...it has SO MANY features, such as Karma & the Seq / Audio record etc, but I find that to use Karma, in the sense of writing one's own parts, I'd need a 4 year Uni course on it. That is in fact why I'm trying to arrange a setup with an external Arpeggiator. I know facsimiles of arpeggiators can be programmed in Karma, but I find it not very user friendly. When I get writing, and inspiration is flowing, I don't want to spend time programming lots of stuff...hands on, immediacy, workflow, kick out the jams...

Of course taking slow and methodical approaches to things like Karma can, I'm sure, give amazing results, and suggest musical realms undiscovered, and at some point I will again attempt to delve in there. Until now I've basically been using Kronos as a Live unit that I Play, not sequenced, Karma'd, or such, and also for recording...using it as a sound source. I do love the fact that I can make a Combi with basically unlimited layers of differing sounds. It was the Engines in Kronos that attracted me in the first place.

Okay, best stop rambling here and get this KeyStep to Kronos thing working.

Thanks again, shall report back anon...
Poseidon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2020 1:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not the best news.

I was suggesting to you to run KeyStep in SLAVE mode, because even if you make it work, you would have issues ( sync clocks ) with some of Kronos onboard patches that are ARPs etc.

I do not have KeyStep, but from my experience with my Waldorf Blofeld keyboard, I have easily managed to slave and sync ARP/SEQs with Kronos in COMBI mode, but only when Kronos was MASTER ( via MIDI cables ). KeyLAb despite been only a controller, can transmit ARPs/SEQs as long as the external CLOCK is present, isn’t ?

My Korg Kronos 88 have 2 companions on a permanent basis:

1. Arturia KeyLab MkII connected to Kronos via USB

Serves as PADS, extra sliders, and synth keys for organs etc …

2. Waldorf Blofeld keyboard have many functions, but the main one is to preserve Krono’s polyphony.

Whatever you do, I would recommend to use MIDI, instead USB, you gain a higher flexibility.
There are some limits with USB, for example, KARMA modules are bypassed. Personally I like that feature, but for some it might be simply unwelcome.
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for replying.
I'm sidelined with some recording and mixing of other projects currently, but will get back to this later and let you know the outcome.

Problem is though that I want KeyStep to be Master, using it some physical distance away from the Kronos, which, as I said, would just be a sound source. I don't want to use Karma or anything like that in Kronos. I find Karma not very user friendly, and it certainly wouldn't work for 'Live" jamming scenarios as I intended the setup to be...entering an Arpeggio on the fly, in real time, etc etc, and also being able to play other internal Kronos sounds from the External keys, in this case KeyStep.

Just to finish this post, I'll say that I'm going to try connecting 2 small keyboards to Kronos, one being KeyStep and the other a 3 octave iRig which could probably play the 'other' sound in Kronos, with KeyStep doing the Arps. Just an idea I'll explore...
Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:

I don't want to use Karma or anything like that in Kronos. I find Karma not very user friendly, and it certainly wouldn't work for Live jamming scenarios...

I use KARMA for the purpose of entertaining only. When comes to production, it’s simply not up to the task, and as you mentioned not very friendly. You can spend so much time and still be far from reaching the desired outcome.
The other issue with KARMA is stuck notes. If my KeyLab is set to MIDI channel that runs through KARMA module, sooner or later I get stuck notes.
With Blomfield is the same story. If it is in MULTIMODE, Kronos causes stuck notes externally.

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:

Just to finish this post, I'll say that I'm going to try connecting 2 small keyboards to Kronos, one being KeyStep and the other a 3 octave iRig which could probably play the 'other' sound in Kronos, with KeyStep doing the Arps. Just an idea I'll explore...

Splendid, that set-up should work.
Good luck with exploring possibilities.
KorganizR

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all,

To prevent that some readers might be sent in the wrong direction: The following statement that I made above appears not to be true:

KorganizR wrote:
I'm not sure whether in COMBI mode the Kronos can respond to other incoming MIDI channels except for the Global channel. I am suspecting that that is the problem you have.

After some Googling and experimenting myself, it appears that the Kronos does respond to external MIDI messages in COMBI mode even when the timbre status is set to "INT" (Internal).
INT just means that the Kronos is using internal sounds (even if the MIDI messages are coming from external sources). I wrongly assumed that INT meant also that the Kronos responds to the local keyboard only.

However, for my particular setup (with a DAW, not an external controller keyboard - so this differs from Victor's setup), I need to have the Kronos not only receive MIDI messages from the DAW, but also send MIDI messages back to the DAW (on any channel, not just the Global channel).
So in my case, I need to set the status to "BTH" (Both), and this option is not available in COMBI mode, only in a SEQ Song. That's where my suggestion came from.

Just wanted to be complete and correct. Hopefully this clarifies things for those reading this thread.

Kind regards,
KorganizR
VICTOR KENNEDY

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2020 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...HERE'S SOMETHING

The problem seems to be the KeyStep. I noticed in the manual, or was it a YouTuber (?) that KeyStep can play an ARP / SEQ and then also transmit to a different Midi Channel to play along with said Arp/Seq, but it mentions doing this while connected via CV sync. I've never used CV / Gate stuff, and just assumed, like I'm sure many other users, that it should do this using Midi and/or USB.

MAYBE NOT..!

I now have KeyStep connected to one USB Port on Kronos, and an iRig KeysPro 3 Octave keyboard hooked up to the 2nd USB port on the back of Kronos.

I can have KeyStep playing an ARP using Midi Channel-1 of a COMBI, and then use the iRig to play any of the remaining Sounds/Parts/Channels in the COMBI just by changing the Transmit channel of the iRig. So far it's working with up to 8 parts/channels of a COMBI, so in essence it means I should be able to access and play ALL !^ parts/Channels of a Combi at will.

This is what I wanted to do using the KeyStep, and before buying it last week I'd watch a few decent YouTube demos by users which seemed to indicate that it would do it. Apparently not via USB or Midi, but at least I now have some type of workaround. It does mean more Space & Stuff needed for when in a Live scenario, but it's SOMETHING...

If I'd known this before buying it I would've saved myself $190, but I suppose that once I nut out how to make use of the Sequencing and Arpeggiator functions in KeyStep it will come in useful. I'm also thinking that I could possibly have a 3rd Kybd connected to Kronos via the USB-B port or Midi...too extreme you say? NeVer..!
Poseidon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:
OK...HERE'S SOMETHING

The problem seems to be the KeyStep. I noticed in the manual, or was it a YouTuber (?) that KeyStep can play an ARP / SEQ and then also transmit to a different Midi Channel to play along with said Arp/Seq, but it mentions doing this while connected via CV sync. I've never used CV / Gate stuff, and just assumed, like I'm sure many other users, that it should do this using Midi and/or USB.

Have you explored your keyStep with MIDI Control Center software ?
There are MIDI Controller settings : User Channel, MIDI Input channel ... etc

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:

I now have KeyStep connected to one USB Port on Kronos, and an iRig KeysPro 3 Octave keyboard hooked up to the 2nd USB port on the back of Kronos.

I can have KeyStep playing an ARP using Midi Channel-1 of a COMBI, and then use the iRig to play any of the remaining Sounds/Parts/Channels in the COMBI just by changing the Transmit channel of the iRig. So far it's working ...

Great! Not very convenient, but it works at least.
I knew it will work with 2 keyboards attached.

VICTOR KENNEDY wrote:

If I'd known this before buying it I would've saved myself ...

You know there is Arturia KeyStep Pro. I think it is truly 4 channel controller.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: