Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Right set list slot, wrong sound. What gives?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zippydog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:27 pm    Post subject: Right set list slot, wrong sound. What gives? Reply with quote

Riddle me this....
I have a combi in a set list slot.
I’m using an app on my iPad to send midi patch changes to my Kronos and Yamaha motif. On this specific combi/set list slot, the right slot comes up, but it’s a piano sound, not my combi. Here’s the weirdest part...if I tap the next set list slot and then go back to the one with my combi, the correct combi is there. How do I correct this odd behavior?
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What if the iPad is unplugged, does the same error occur?
bpoodoo

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2020 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen this on my Triton with a MIDI file (wrong bank, right program number). The sequencer event editor showed the program change event (PRG) had an empty bank number which showed up as "---". I entered the bank letter and that fixed it.

The app may not be sending the Bank Select MIDI message or may not be sending it with the correct data, or may be sending in the wrong order relative to the Program Change message.

See p. 1146 of the Kronos Parameter Guide. Be sure you have set the Global settings to enable program, combination, and bank changes, and be sure these messages are sent over the global MIDI channel.

But my guess is the app isn't sending all the MIDI data needed when set slot 1 is configured, but it has sent all required MIDI data when set slot 2 is configured. Selecting slot 2 populates in memory whatever was missing for slot 1, then available to slot 1 when it is reselected.
Zippydog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 4:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Falcon2e wrote:
What if the iPad is unplugged, does the same error occur?

It can and sometimes it does not
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have my setlist set up so 8 songs are viewable. The squares are large enough that tapping the next song is pretty easy to select. In some situations I prefer to use the up/down buttons to the left of the screen. Do you get an error using the up button too?
Zippydog

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 8:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok I solved it. iPad was sending correct bank and program data. I dug into the problem combi and one of the three programs was set to a different midi channel. Flipped it to match all others and now it works every time. Fixed!
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 25, 2020 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That’s fantastic! Mystery solved.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2020 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use the Kronos as a Master controller and have it send bank and patch changes to your Yamaha. The Kronos is very powerful in this respect and that would eliminate some hardware (iPad) and the associated cabling. I use my Kronos this way all the time. Best way to do it is to always use the Kronos in Combi mode.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: