Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

My new Kronos 2 is making high volume and sustain effects
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2020 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not use the headphone outputs for anything but headphones or earbuds. When you plug into external amplification use the left/right outputs on the back panel of the Kronos. The outputs there are balanced/line level. Hopefully your amp will support balanced/line level inputs, otherwise use standard guitar type cables. If your amp is mono, only use the Left output. It is designed to sum the left and right outputs together. But that will not sound as good as a true stereo setup. There is a lot going on with impedance matching when you hook up the Kronos the way you have it. If your Pioneer monitors use phono jacks (RCA type) you will have some level issues. RCA jacks are considered consumer grade, like a home HiFi system. The Kronos output signal is much hotter than what the RCA inputs want to see. Your best bet for now is to work with the Kronos headphone outputs and a set of headphones, or good quality earbuds. Just make sure everything is TRS (tip/ring/sleeve) Some earbuds designed for phones are TRRS, to accommodate a microphone. Definitely don't want those. Try a different set of known good earphones/buds and check yours with a know good source (home HiFi or a mobile device like an iPod/iPhone, etc). Again some pictures or video would go a long way...
KronosEnthusiastXT

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ronnfigg: My pioneer studio monitors also have TRS balanced 1/4 jack inputs but I’m not sure whether I need 1/4 jack mono or stereo cables?? I have spare mono cables but stereo ones I have to buy.
My keyboard amp that is not with me, is from Roland and I used a stereo 1/4 jack cable years ago on a Yamaha keyboard. I will buy new headphones now which are only trs as the ones I have are trrs and no good.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely agree. Mobile phone type earphones with TRRS jacks are of no use in this application. In the first place, their fundamental audio quality is really rather poor, added to which the audio signal from the Kronos would necessarily have to pass through the microphone amplification circuitry, in a highly non-linear fashion, to the earpieces themselves, leading to extremely distorted sound.

ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KronosEnthusiastXT wrote:
Ronnfigg: My pioneer studio monitors also have TRS balanced 1/4 jack inputs but I’m not sure whether I need 1/4 jack mono or stereo cables?? I have spare mono cables but stereo ones I have to buy.
My keyboard amp that is not with me, is from Roland and I used a stereo 1/4 jack cable years ago on a Yamaha keyboard. I will buy new headphones now which are only trs as the ones I have are trrs and no good.

Technically, for you application they are not "stereo" plugs and/or cables. The 3 conductor TRS plugs are an alternative to an XLR connector. These connectors and cables carry a balanced signal. A balanced signal has a positive & negative version of the signal and a common ground on the shield. This is very different from a stereo signal. But you can use a "stereo" cable, but understand that the signal is mono. You will need 2 of these to run your Kronos in stereo. You can use a TS cable but it won't suppress noise on the line as well as a balanced TRS connection. Make sure the cables are shielded regardless of which one you use.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this your monitor? https://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-DJ-BULIT5-REFERENCE-MONITOR/dp/B015XD3MF8

You should just use 1/4" TRS 3-conductor cables from Kronos to the monitor.
If you only have one monitor, plug it into Kronos' Left main output.
If you have two monitors, connect one to Kronos Left output and the other to Kronos Right output.
Don't use the Kronos headphone output to try to drive powered monitors.

This is basic stuff that you should already know if you're spending $$$$ on a keyboard like a Kronos.
KronosEnthusiastXT

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2020 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile: Yes, those are the ones I have, just different colour (silver instead of gold). I have two of them.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: