Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg Kronos - Create and use your own custom velocity curves
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you very much!!
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 31, 2019 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, thank you very much!!
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2020 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello KK,

It's the first I'm really trying to follow your Vimeo video but I don't succeed and didn't see a real tuto.

Could you please explain the different steps to be followed in MIDI-OX in order to create a velocity map ? For all of us who are not familiar with Midi-Ox (like me !) it would be very useful !!

And second, you are spaking of a Excel data sheet. Here again, could you please explain how to send it to MIDI-Ox ?

Thank you very much for your help.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Liviou,

I might find time at some point to make a tutorial but it might take a while. For now, I will write here some important steps to do :

1) Install MIDI-OX
2) Under Options / MIDI devices, select the Kronos in both the lower and upper LEFT windows for MIDI ins and outs so the software can see it.
3) Connect the Kronos MIDI OUT to your PC MIDI IN and the Kronos MIDI IN to your PC MIDI OUT, so that your computer can make the custom velocity maps work.
4) Turn off the MIDI Local Control in Global on your Kronos to avoid MIDI feedback.
5) In MIDI/OX, under Options / Data Mapping, click on Load and open the file example named velocity something (don't recall exactly and I deleted it a long time ago).
6) In the editing window, for values on and off, only the "Values 2" are needed because velocity messages are simple MIDI messages (some other MIDI messages are more complex). Each line represents a part of a velocity map. You can add as many lines as you want. The INPUT "values 2" are what the software receives and the OUTPUT "values 2" are what you want it to send to the Kronos.

Let's say you want to imitate the action of a real grand piano, namely that very slow pushing of the keys won't make any sound. For this, you could specify, for example :

- Values 1 and 4 on the left side (for min and max INPUT values 2) and
- Values 0 and 0 on the right side (for min and max OUTPUT values 2).

This means that MIDI-OX will output velocities of 0 for any input velocity from 1 to 4. In other words, you won't hear any sound, just like if you would push keys very slowly on a real grand piano.

Then continue with a new line for the next bunch of values until you specify everything up to 127. Of course, the last line can dictate that values much lower than 127 will trigger velocities of 127, etc. You could even specify a reverse velocity map, so the sound will be softer as you play harder and vice versa, etc.

For my Excel sheet working with MIDI-OX, it's a very special one with hidden VB code. It can only work in a real MS Excel program. Most Excel clones don't support Excel macros and VB code. I could provide you my Kronos Velocity Curve Editor sheet if you happen to have a real MS Excel on your PC. But I will also have to explain to you how it works. I recommend to experiment with MIDI-OX meanwhile to get accustomed to it. I think it is extremely useful for many things.

You can do just about anything. For example, you can tell it to change velocity map per program number, change program simply pushing one key, etc. Hope this helps.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2020 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much, KK, it's kind of you.

After some hesitations and errors, eventually I've made it. It is so convenient and pleasant to play Kronos with some accurate velocity curves ! Unfortunately, with Local control Off, we lost the Control Surface too.

Yet, its not so pleasant to get back to original curves ! It's a pity that Korg doesn't want to integrate custom curves in the Kronos Crying or Very sad

There was no example.oxm in the folder. But I have directly typed the values I want and saved them in an oxm file. Then, put a shortcut on the desktop.

Thanks again KK.

PS : Yes, I have the MS Excel.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: