Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Please Explain PA3X Le Architecture re: Saving to Songbook

View previous topic :: View next topic  
76keyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 2:06 am    Post subject: Please Explain PA3X Le Architecture re: Saving to Songbook Reply with quote

I just started using the Songbook and am not getting things saved successfully because I don't fully understand the architecture. I watched the YouTube Songbook tutorial twice, and read my manuals. My issues are:

Trying to save a Performance to Songbook I don't get the option to save an STS until after I save an initial Song entry. Then I try to edit and one time saw ability to edit the STS, and another time it looked like it was already saving STS1, but I couldn't edit it. Also the STS remained the same when I went to a different song I had saved, so it was showing me the last state. I don't see where to set up an STS first unless I MUST do so in a Performance before saving. So far I've been editing the sounds in the first panel (not in any of the STS1-4. Maybe that's where I need to edit.

I also don't understand the toggle lights for STS On, Off, Blinking and STYLE On, Off, Blinking.

Please can someone explain the most appropriate way to save settings from a Performance (or Style) to the Songbook and not have to key everything in again manually?

Thanks for any help you can suggest. Videos? etc.
duby2
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 1:08 pm    Post subject: songbook Reply with quote

look at this ,,, it tell all…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpMfOe0qUXo
76keyman

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 10:05 pm    Post subject: Re: songbook Reply with quote

duby2 wrote:
look at this ,,, it tell all…

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TpMfOe0qUXo

Thank you for your suggested video. This is the one I watched twice. It walks through the various screens, but doesn't answer my question about how the architecture is defined. I'm going back to the manuals, and they are so short, and you have to keep jumping around to follow a "scenario" of steps you are trying to accomplish. I'll try to explain what I'm missing:

First I found in the manual that I need to go to Global, Mode Preferences, Media and "un-protect" Factory Styles and Pads in order to see the menu options to save Styles or STSs. Okay, my first mistake. I thought protecting the original ones would allow me to save a changed version somewhere else, but it doesn't appear that I'd see the menu option unless I un-protect them globally. Correct Y/N? So I've now done so. And are the STSs a part of the Styles, and therefore able to be saved if I un-protect the Factory Styles and Pads?

Since I play with a band, I don't typically use the Styles very much because I'd just turn then off so the other members can play their parts. Sometime I'll set up a style when I do play the song alone. So what I wanted to do was use various STSs to switch instrument sounds during a song, using Performance entries to save them (or Styles I guess). But before I start doing things poorly, I want to know the best way to set up songs in the Korg Songbook and reuse some Performances or STSs. But if I understand correctly, each Songbook entry only points to the resources assigned. So if I need any changes to STS sounds, volumes, or other settings, then "do I need to set up another performance or style, or does the Songbook entry actually store any settings in a Song record? Or would I need to create another record of the Performance if I make any changes for Song2?

Same basic question re: Styles. If I want to preserve the Factory Styles as they are, then I'll need to copy ones I like to the Favorites section (I now know). Then I assume I can use these either directly in a Songbook entry or in a Performance record which then is a resource for a Songbook entry. Correct? But again, if I want any differences in a Songbook entry, then do I need to duplicate the Favorite Style1 or Performance1, or does the Songbook entry store anything about the style settings? (Probably not.)

Re: STSs, it appears they exist only in a Style, and each STS is unique in that one Style. By this I mean that I can't view a list of STSs to find one I edited somewhere else and use it for a Song entry I'm creating. It looks like I need to do all the steps of selecting the sounds, volumes, etc. in each STS each time. The only function I see to "copy" an STS is when saving a New Song in the Songbook, I can choose to save all STSs or one STS (something I've made mistakes with so far because I just read about the STS Mode light options). But again a Song is really just links to the resource (e.g., Style or Performance) and I can't change them in the original source without affecting the Song as well. Is this correct? Y/N. Or am I missing a better way to reuse these?

My last question about STSs has to do with the first display of 4 sounds when NO STSs have been selected. This is where I first edited a Style or Performance to save in a Song. But it's not one of the four STSs. Is it a 5th STS? Since I just "un-protected" the Factory Styles, hopefully now I'll see the menu options to save an STS, and hopefully figure out some of my questions.

These are the questions I have about the architecture so I can set up Songs the best way to enable reuse of resources already set, vs. doing all the steps individually each time.

Sorry for the lengthy explanation. But the architecture is very powerful, and thus very complex. ANY HELPFUL SUGGESTIONS FROM ANYONE WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.

Thanks.
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to have your own selection of sounds on hand for each song then the Songbook is the best way to proceed.
There is no reason to unprotect factory styles - leave protection on - you can still write your Songbook entry.
I do a lot of playing with just sounds in mind (rather than using styles or midi's) and the Songbook works just fine.
You can store a Songbook entry in two formats, as a Style or as a Song and it depends on what mode you are in when you store it. (A Song can be either associated with a midi or mp3 but we will ignore the mp3 option for now). Either one works fine if your main reason to use it is to have 4 STS sounds on hand to play your song.
The Song mode is really for associated midis so if I just want to use it as a sound setting I always associate it with a short Blank (just a few notes in one track that are muted) midi.
The other way is to associate it with a Style - but again I would mute all tracks just in case you hit play by mistake.
In Songbook (Book Edit 1 Tab) you can write a new STS with the sound settings you want. So press an STS then set up your sounds then write. It will remember sounds, volume, microphone harmony settings, splits etc. Under Book Edit 2 you can set up Master Transpose settings and type in Artist/Genre.
TIP: Type in your initials as the Artist then you can filter the Songbook via Artist to bring up only your songs rather than all the factory songs.
I hope this gets you underway.
76keyman

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:17 pm    Post subject: Great Suggestions Reply with quote

Reuben: Wow, you gave me great suggestions, all of them. Thanks for sharing your experience with using it in the way I was looking to do. I appreciate the time you took to answer all points.

Thanks!!! I'm making progress now.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa3X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: