Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

No new Workstation @ namm
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes!! I reckon this will be announced at NAMM as the new Korg workoutstation Wink
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
tcornishmn

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2020 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

billysynth wrote:
Seems like we are aren’t satisfied with Korg, Roland, Yamaha, Kurz...

I feel like the missing secret sauce is the lack of user-friendliness for normal tasks that pretty much all of these workstations have - assembling a combi of stock sounds ranges from pretty difficult to extremely difficult for the average synth user. I understand why this has been difficult in the past - largely due to the effects engine. The choices manufacturers have made are to either have lame effects (Roland/Yamaha) where things are more likely to work when layering/splitting or complicated with great effects (Korg/Kurzweil) where the "copy from program" feature gets you what you need at first, but then you run out of slots after only two or three programs populated in a combi and have to start manually make sacrifices.

Even if nothing changed on the synth end, tripling the number of effects processors to greatly reduce the need for effect slot management would make this an instant buy for me.

The other major pain point I feel is controllers that are out of touch with the values assigned when changing patches. The OASYS got part of the way there with the LED ladders and ring encoders; the Kronos walked that back to only on-screen feedback. Even $1500 mixers have motorized faders; it's time for those to come to the keyboard workstation. My kingdom for some motors!!

I love the general workflow of the Kronos/OASYS. I have been playing pretty much exclusively on this platform for the last almost 15 years. Korg is so far ahead of the others in terms of raw power, and I don't claim to have exhausted everything, but that doesn't mean there aren't areas it's reasonable to want improvements in.

Other things I want:

- a modern capacitive touch screen
- more program slots with a better search engine like Omnisphere has
- Patch names visible in the "control surface" page in combis and the set list view.
- A clock option for the title bar of the screen
- A more neutral piano sound that isn't honky in the midrange (e.g. Spectrasoncis Keyscape)
- A simple non-KARMA arpeggiator (yes I know KARMA can do this, but it's a PITA and takes 4x - 10x longer than old school arps)
- A metal bottom
- As mentioned above, motorized faders would solve one of the most distracting parts of live playing by being able to visually see where things are (currently difficult in Set list mode) and then to allow easy adjustment without having to catch the slider to the current value.

In short, I don't need more kinds of new whizbang synthesis; I want functional improvements that make the keyboard experience better.

I'm hoping Korg (or someone else, though that's less likely IMO) will eventually get there.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 1:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the three new keyboards are (based on leaks):

Wavestate
ARP 2600
SV-2

I've stated for some time that I think Korg gets at least ten years out of the Kronos (we're coming up on year nine). I do not see a "Kronos 3" with an updated processor, 64-bits, more RAM, etc. I don't think that's happening. My gut tells me, whatever Korg R&D is cooking up it will be something new.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
fomalhaut

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the light of Wavestate, it ocurred to me that Korg is "unbundling" the Kronos in order to evolve its capabilities. That's why we have the Grandstage, the SV2, the Wavestate and the ARP. What will be next? A dedicated sampler? A standalone sequencer?

My bet is that it's difficult for Korg to move everything when the platform roadmap is the same. Meaning "difficult" in terms of R&D and product market fit --not everyone can afford a $4000 flagship.

Opinions?
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

burningbusch wrote:
So the three new keyboards are (based on leaks):

Wavestate
ARP 2600
SV-2

I've stated for some time that I think Korg gets at least ten years out of the Kronos (we're coming up on year nine). I do not see a "Kronos 3" with an updated processor, 64-bits, more RAM, etc. I don't think that's happening. My gut tells me, whatever Korg R&D is cooking up it will be something new.

Busch.

On the one hand I think you are right, on the other hand I am thinking of the availability of the computer components in the KRONOS.
I don’t know how many components KORG has in stock, and if the stock is running out they have to find other components because the old ones are no longer available, which could imply a renewed KRONOS version or something entirely new.
It’s all just guesswork from my side, I have no insider info.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jan1 wrote:
[q

On the one hand I think you are right, on the other hand I am thinking of the availability of the computer components in the KRONOS.
I don’t know how many components KORG has in stock, and if the stock is running out they have to find other components because the old ones are no longer available, which could imply a renewed KRONOS version or something entirely new.
It’s all just guesswork from my side, I have no insider info.[/quote]

it is a long term calculation which can be tricky

When Kronos reached EOL, which seems out there, lets say 2021, Korg 'should ' arm the service centers with hard to find components.

which components seems custom or unique ? My guess is the Atom and the power supply.

RAM type I am not sure about.

SSD is cheap and easy. RH3 is used on many Korg keyboards.

My assumption is that Korg would not use old hard to find components
on some completely new premium performance synth design.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Jan1 wrote:
[q

When Kronos reached EOL, which seems out there, lets say 2021, Korg 'should ' arm the service centers with hard to find components.

which components seems custom or unique ? My guess is the Atom and the power supply.

on some completely new premium performance synth design.[/quote]

They may also have supply agreements with the OEMS of the boards to supply for a certain period of time. If they are purchasing in quantity and need to do so over a long period of time, that is not unusual. And at some point they will have the option to do a life time buy for spares servicing.

I've done similar things in my line of work, where you can buy "premium" support to ensure that the vendor will support you for the lifespan you need.

I'm glad that there is no new Kronos, as it means my 2014 Kronos is still the state of the art. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Jan1 wrote:
[q

on some completely new premium performance synth design.[/quote]

They may also have supply agreements with the OEMS of the boards to supply for a certain period of time. If they are purchasing in quantity and need to do so over a long period of time, that is not unusual. And at some point they will have the option to do a life time buy for spares servicing.

I've done similar things in my line of work, where you can buy "premium" support to ensure that the vendor will support you for the lifespan you need.

I'm glad that there is no new Kronos, as it means my 2014 Kronos is still the state of the art. Smile

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
[qgn.

I'm glad that there is no new Kronos, as it means my 2014 Kronos is still the state of the art. Smile[/quote]

That makes business sense. with the OEM's

But what about Atom ? I am not sure Intel is making that type anymore ?
meatballfulton

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I want to see is a usable USB audio interface if I have to pay $3000.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there’s the new Korg i3 “music workstation” that’s just been announced ... Looks like it might be based on the 64 Voice HI synth engine maybe?
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 09, 2020 6:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there will also be a new Korg EX20 at NAMM
a low end consumer arranger woth 88 keys
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: