Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg wavestate
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:
[q

The second big innovation is a departure from the more static Wavesequences you find in the Kronos, which are set in a single lane loop. With the aptly named "Wavesequencing 2.0" you get to break up attributes polyrhythmically for more dynamic/evolving performance. Attributes are divided into lanes each with their own step length. So you won't get the same attributes looping at the same rate. Patterns only repeat on the least common multiple for all lanes involved so with six or seven attribute lanes all having different step lengths you can potentially have a least common multiple of such an astronomically high number that you're liable to never run into a repetition!

Korg also thought about how that might be problematic and offer a Master lane that can reset all lanes after a specified number of beats in order to tame some randomness. And not all lanes have to adhere to the Master lane! It's a very different little monster and people who get really into it are going to end up thinking about their synthesis sound design in a very different way from the many wavetable synths that have been hitting the market.

Thank you Charles,
Sorry but I don't see any enchancement from HD-1. As you can stack several wavesequences, (in particular in Combi mode) each one with its own rythm pattern, modulate each start point as you wish, creating random triggers in GATE mode with Karma, etc...I don't see where could be the enhancement.

Of course, as you have played on it and as you master the Kronos very well, I can just trust you ! But for what I heard in the different videos and sonic example I don't heard something the Kronos couldn't perform.

![/quote]

I was also considering how close Kronos engines could match what Wav state offers.

As we know, wavseqs in Kronos are resource hungry. And I think there is a limit on how many that can be saved/stored on Kronos.

Lets consider the resources behind the scenes with Wav state:

"Wavestate promises a second-generation wave sequencing engine, deep modulation capabilities, 64 notes of polyphony and the option to use 14 effects simultaneously. Inside, there’s 6GB of PCM driving 700 sounds and 240 performances; there are also 1,000 Wavesequences and storage for more than 10,000 performances."

My take is Kronos could capture a % of this. Once you create custom combis' as you mention, how soon would you hear clicks and pops ?

It would be a good experiment
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As others have said, I do hope Korg considers a desktop version of this. 37 keys without an aftertouch keybed will keep the price down, but I personally have no use for this format. A desktop version (with analog inputs, like the WS A/D, and ideally a larger screen!) would be perfect. I've had my three Wavestations for over 20 years. I could definitely do with an upgrade. :)

Anyone know if Dan P. was involved in the design of the Wavestate?
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if Wave Sequencing 2.0 could be added to the Kronos? Smile

Or if they would do this new one in soft synth form? I have ZERO space for any new keyboards.....

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Bachus
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Wavestate should have 49-keys. Bare minimum !

I disagree, a solo synth works well with 37 keys..
Never heared anyone complaining about the model D..

Its a keyboard meant to be used on top/next to another keyboard like the kronos..
Devnor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liviou2004 wrote:

Sorry but I don't see any enchancement from HD-1. As you can stack several wavesequences, (in particular in Combi mode) each one with its own rythm pattern, modulate each start point as you wish, creating random triggers in GATE mode with Karma, etc...I don't see where could be the enhancement.

That sounds like a painful programming exercise. Surely it's quicker to achieve the same results faster & cheaper with Wavestation?
Sharp
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Safely say I've watched every video I can find on YouTube and after doing so, I'm pretty sure KORG just hit a home run with this keyboard. It sounds super amazing. The real-time control and the level of creativity this keyboard generates is mind bending. Everything I hear it doing gives me idea's and chills.

Listening here on a really good pair of SONY headphones and feeling fuzzy. I'm getting one of these for sure.

Sharp.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:
Safely say I've watched every video I can find on YouTube and after doing so, I'm pretty sure KORG just hit a home run with this keyboard. It sounds super amazing. The real-time control and the level of creativity this keyboard generates is mind bending. Everything I hear it doing gives me idea's and chills.

Listening here on a really good pair of SONY headphones and feeling fuzzy. I'm getting one of these for sure.

Sharp.

Remember Prologue, the first year.
RKfan

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

£640-£650 - good price.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Sharp.

I agree. I don't buy synths anywhere near the rate that I have in the past, but the sound, size, and price make it a must-have. I've long been a sucker for evolving pads and this thing does it in spades.

Congrats to Korg R&D.

Busch.
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bachus wrote:
Poseidon wrote:
Wavestate should have 49-keys. Bare minimum !

I disagree, a solo synth works well with 37 keys..
Never heared anyone complaining about the model D..

Its a keyboard meant to be used on top/next to another keyboard like the kronos..

You know that original Korg Wavestation was 61-key, and 32 polyphony.
Here we have 64-polyphony and 37-key.
I don't see it entirely as a solo synth, that's were my statament comes from.
For me 49-keys is a must for this synth.
D575
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp wrote:

Sharp.
+1.... although my headphones are AKG Very Happy
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Liviou2004 wrote:
[q

The second big innovation is a departure from the more static Wavesequences you find in the Kronos, which are set in a single lane loop. With the aptly named "Wavesequencing 2.0" you get to break up attributes polyrhythmically for more dynamic/evolving performance. Attributes are divided into lanes each with their own step length. So you won't get the same attributes looping at the same rate. Patterns only repeat on the least common multiple for all lanes involved so with six or seven attribute lanes all having different step lengths you can potentially have a least common multiple of such an astronomically high number that you're liable to never run into a repetition!

Korg also thought about how that might be problematic and offer a Master lane that can reset all lanes after a specified number of beats in order to tame some randomness. And not all lanes have to adhere to the Master lane! It's a very different little monster and people who get really into it are going to end up thinking about their synthesis sound design in a very different way from the many wavetable synths that have been hitting the market.

Thank you Charles,

Of course, as you have played on it and as you master the Kronos very well, I can just trust you ! But for what I heard in the different videos and sonic example I don't heard something the Kronos couldn't perform.

!

I was also considering how close Kronos engines could match what Wav state offers.

As we know, wavseqs in Kronos are resource hungry. And I think there is a limit on how many that can be saved/stored on Kronos.

Lets consider the resources behind the scenes with Wav state:

"Wavestate promises a second-generation wave sequencing engine, deep modulation capabilities, 64 notes of polyphony and the option to use 14 effects simultaneously. Inside, there’s 6GB of PCM driving 700 sounds and 240 performances; there are also 1,000 Wavesequences and storage for more than 10,000 performances."

My take is Kronos could capture a % of this. Once you create custom combis' as you mention, how soon would you hear clicks and pops ?

It would be a good experiment[/quote]

Having a combi with multiple wave sequences is not the same as what the Wavestate achieves. The wavestate can have multiple sequences, each with different periods, affecting different elements of the same tone. For example, pitch and filter cutoff. This is simply not possible using wave sequences on the Kronos.

It might be possible to achieve a somewhat similar effect in some ways using RPPR in the sequencer though.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Lightbringer

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks and sounds really good. I like the immediacy of the hardware controls and how they interact with the LCD - seems like a very creative tool.

As a Kronos owner I'd have a hard time justifying one for myself, I think, even though it does look like some expanded wavesequencing functionality compared to HD-1.

I think Korg will sell a lot of these.
CharlesFerraro
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2020 11:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HardSync wrote:
Anyone know if Dan P. was involved in the design of the Wavestate?

Yeah Dan decided all of the specs on the unit. For example he could crack his whip and say, “give it four LFO’s” and a team of coders would get right on it.
burningbusch
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2020 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kind of funny that Korg can put 6GB of samples in the $800 Wavestate, while Yamaha, Roland, and Nord struggle to provide that much in their $3,000 - $5,000 flagships.

Busch
Kronos 73, Nautilus 61, Vox Continental 73, Monologue, Yamaha Montage 8, Rhodes Suitcase, Yamaha VL-1, Roland V-Synth, Yamaha AvantGrand, Minimoog Model D, Studio Electronics Omega 8, CSS, Spitfire, VSL, LASS, Sample Modeling, Ivory, Komplete 12, Spectrasonics, Cubase, Pro Tools, etc.
http://www.purgatorycreek.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Latest News All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: