Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is Kronos Still the King ?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Is Kronos Still the King ? Reply with quote

I know this gets old.

Other than a possible pref for Montage, I am of the opinion Kronos still reigns.

Even with 1.11 for Fantom, its not there, yet, not for $3000 or $4000.

Looking at the calendar, and every day that ticks by towards NAMM, with no news, I am leaning towards Korg holding back on something new/exciting/expensive.

I know they are capable, but Korg might hold back for another year.
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does the Kronos still reign ?

Sure it does and will continue for a long time.

Just like its ancestor the Kronosaurus, who reigned during millions of years. Cool

Long live the Kronos !

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kronosaurus

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

prowls in the ocean near Australia.

I should have known Wink
benny ray
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:08 am    Post subject: Re: Is Kronos Still the King ? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
I know this gets old.

Other than a possible pref for Montage, I am of the opinion Kronos still reigns.

Even with 1.11 for Fantom, its not there, yet, not for $3000 or $4000.

Looking at the calendar, and every day that ticks by towards NAMM, with no news, I am leaning towards Korg holding back on something new/exciting/expensive.

I know they are capable, but Korg might hold back for another year.

Agree I think Roland released the FANTOM way too early too many old sounds nothing new and refreshing sound wise for me. Still awesome keyboard but keybed is awesome.
IAA

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a workstation, there’s nothing close IMHO.
as a synth, quantum, Moog one, prophet x are damm fine.

I think the workstation audience, given the rise in DAWs, is reducing, I’d be v surprised for a whole new from the ground up korg workstation.

But a Kronos 3, 64 bit, larger RAM etc, better screen, I can see.

Ian
kronoSphere
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iOlPCpSmhRM

haaaa ! Happy good old days ! : The perfect balance between naivety and wondering amaze.

It makes me turn on my Kronos !
Very Happy

https://www.lairdeparis.fr

Current Gear : Kronos 88 / Seaboard Rise / Triton Extreme / Sequoia / Motif Rack XS / TC Helicon voicelive rack /Awave 11 / Audio & VSTi plug-ins connected /wide touchscreen / iPad Pro 512.
Moran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is one of a kind... and has been getting better with every OS version.

I tend to thing its abilities are probably only limited by the user's depth of understanding of its many capabilities.

It will always be a king. I tend to think all newer workstations are actually following in the Kronos's footsteps. I think Yamaha's Montage (and MODX) and Roland's new Fantom are worthy contenders for comparison. It will all depend on the user's ability to make the workstation ... work for them.
Software: Karma Kronos ver 3.1.2; MPC 2.0 ver 2.6.0; Kronos Editor ver 3.1.0
Moran

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos is one of a kind... and has been getting better with every OS version.

I tend to think its abilities are probably only limited by the user's depth of understanding of its architecture.

It will always be a king. IMO, all the newer workstations are actually following in the Kronos's footsteps.

Although I have not had a chance to experiment them, Yamaha's Montage (and MODX) and Roland's new Fantom may be worthy contenders for comparison, but with different workflows to perform similar tasks. The music produced by any of these well put together super synths will all depend on the user's ability to make the workstation ... work for them.
Software: Karma Kronos ver 3.1.2; MPC 2.0 ver 2.6.0; Kronos Editor ver 3.1.0
Rigel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kronos is a good workstation. The MOD7 is a much better FM synth than what the Montage/MODX can offer. Actually Montage and Kronos cannot be compared, One is a rompler with an FM engine built in, the other is, well, the Kronos. However, there are other fine workstations/synths I like to spend time with. The most powerful of them is the Kurzweil PC3K. Some features of the Kurzweil makes it a far superior system than the others. The VAST philosophy, on board KSP8 effects, the legendary Kurzweil samples, sophisticated and much more user friendly and usable (than the Karma) arpeggiator are only a few of its advantages over others including the mighty Kronos. (I must add, it is a bit more reliable piece of machine than the Kronos).
Korg KronosX73, Kurzweil PC3K6, Roland V-Synth GT, Kawai K5000S, Waldorf Blofeld, Novation Ultranova, Behringer Neutron, Yamaha HS80M, Boss Micro BR80, Zoom H6, Sony PCM D100, Tascam DP32SD, Mackie 1202VLZ4, Zoom MS-70CDR, Rode NT1, Sony MDR 7506.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IAA wrote:
As a workstation, there’s nothing close IMHO.
as a synth, quantum, Moog one, prophet x are damm fine.

I think the workstation audience, given the rise in DAWs, is reducing, I’d be v surprised for a whole new from the ground up korg workstation.

n

To remove the SEQ from a new model, or to cheap it out, is similar to following the herd, IMO. [ not to rile up a preference].

I would like for Korg to be different. Where did the phrase ' think different ' get used and magnified ?

I saw a YT MODX demo and the guy asserted that 'many ' are returning to the hardware SEQ approach. I can't quantify that further.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rigel wrote:
Kronos is a good workstation. The MOD7 is a much better FM synth than what the Montage/MODX can offer. Actually Montage and Kronos cannot be compared, One is a rompler with an FM engine built in, the other is, well, the Kronos. However, there are other fine workstations/synths I like to spend time with. The most powerful of them is the Kurzweil PC3K. Some features of the Kurzweil makes it a far superior system than the others. The VAST philosophy, on board KSP8 effects, the legendary Kurzweil samples, sophisticated and much more user friendly and usable (than the Karma) arpeggiator are only a few of its advantages over others including the mighty Kronos. (I must add, it is a bit more reliable piece of machine than the Kronos).

http://kurzweil.com/knowledgebase/forte/product_comparisons/311/

I am interested in Kurzweil.

My issue with the PC3k is the small LCD.

At this point, with my eyes, if I struggle reading the info on the LCD , its off my maybe list
Jan1
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I can tell and what I hear/read the prevailing trend is away from the computer and the DAW.
The fact that Behringer releases so many analog synths at bargain prices is like a barrel of oil on that fire since people learn about the joy of learning to operate and play a real life synth as opposed to a mapped VST instrument inside a complex DAW.

The inclusion of a sequencer in the Montage/MODX points to this development away from the almighty DAW/computer when it comes to making music.

And for what it's worth, if the Montage/MODX are regarded as romplers plus FM I have to say that in my opinion they are very good at it.
Fact is that Yamaha and Roland both have shiny new toys while the KRONOS is old and familiar, no matter how good the KRONOS may be.
And it could become even a lot better if certain upgrades are implemented.
I just hope they don't go the Roland route, and seriously upgrade their factory ROM.
They should try to incorporate the onboard ROM of the next top arranger into the KRONOS successor.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

excellent and good info about the prevailing trend.

I also noticed that the last MODX/Montage update improved the SEQ.

That validates 1 strong reason why MODX is on purchase list.

You mention Factory Rom. A major part of the Korg story was the genius sound programming and creating excellent programs in Kronos [ for example]

These sound development guys are the masters. I think Korg has kept them intact over the past +8 years as familiar names surface here and there.

We can only hope this team is active getting a new model ready for us to get enthused over.
Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have both Montage and Kronos and they complement each other nicely. The Kronos still has loads of untapped potentially even after five years of ownership. It still sounds great and will do so even if it gets superseded by something else - but I think the workstation market is now dead, and Yamaha made the first jump away from it with the Montage concept.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Like you, my opinion is that Kronos is still the best !!

I would like to know the Mike's opinion (Mike Conway). Because, I'm still giving a close look at the Deepmind 12, as a complement.
So, I you read this post, Mike, do you still enjoy the Kronos / Deepmind duo ?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: