Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Connecting a Casio PX5s to Kronos with usb

View previous topic :: View next topic  
aellison62

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 2:27 am    Post subject: Connecting a Casio PX5s to Kronos with usb Reply with quote

I have a Px5s that has a type B USB port. I have heard that Kronos can be controlled from the Px5s via usb. The Kronos has both USB A and USB B ports. Does anyone know how this connection is made? A to B? B to B? Anything on either keyboard I need to switch on or off?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Kronos, via its USB A ports, can act as a host for class compliant MIDI devices. Casio indicate the Px5s is class compliant, so connecting the two should work.

Hector Space

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Connecting a Casio PX5s to Kronos with usb Reply with quote

aellison62 wrote:
I have a Px5s that has a type B USB port. I have heard that Kronos can be controlled from the Px5s via usb. The Kronos has both USB A and USB B ports. Does anyone know how this connection is made? A to B? B to B? Anything on either keyboard I need to switch on or off?

Yes that would be me! Lol.. connect the Px5s usb b connected to one of the Kronos usb a ports. So effectively the Kronos is treating the px5s as a peripheral device providing midi data. This works fine.
Hector Space

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you’re familiar with the Px5s you’ll be able to configure it to provide both midi note data and controller data on up to 4 channels (from 4 Px5s zones) at once through the usb cable to the Kronos.

The value of this is as follows:
It allows you to control layers (timbres) of a Kronos Combi directly and most importantly individually from the Px5s.

The importance of this becomes clear in the following example.
A pretty standard combi for me would be organ (CX3) played from the K2 61 keybed and Piano (SGX2), Strings(HD1) and Brass(HD1 x 3 timbres). The brass is cross faded with the piano via a foot pedal ( my right foot) controlling two compressor ifx boxes. The organ and strings are swelled using a 2nd foot pedal ( my left foot) connected to the CX3 expression and another ifx gain cell for the strings.

Note: because there is only 1 footpedal input on the Kronos (major drop off Korg!! Most other serious stage master controllers have at least 2 footpedal inputs) I have to use a MidiSolutions pedal controller to connect the second pedal. This does allow me to send footpedal controller data to the Kronos on a different channel to the timbres in the combi so it avoids the data getting confused and because of the way ifx units connect to midi data you can use a different channel to provide controller info to the ifx than the timbre channel.

I set the Kronos control panel up to provide access to the CX3 drawbars and controls.

Both footpedals are set to provide cc#4 (footpedal) not swell. This is because the Kronos doesn’t provide organ swell from the standard cc#11 expression. And if you want cross fade you’ll need to use cc#4 with negative gain on a compressor ifx.

Max polyphony: The Kronos will only stop allocating notes to a timbre when the timbre is muted and globally the Kronos is not in studio mode. If the control surface of the Kronos is set to CX3 control then you loose access to the mute buttons. The Kronos does not provide enough polyphony to play all the layered notes from the PX5s usb if I’m playing a two handed piano piece with sustain pedal, even with timbre priority set the k struggles noticeably. The Kronos isn’t smart enough to cutoff notes with zero or low output volume so it’ll continue to allocate notes to zone layers that are swelled out ( zero volume) by the foot pedal.

Ordinarily I would have used the external controller to simply dynamically mute the timbres not used (the k is set to CX3 control panel so the mutes aren’t available!). There's no external access to the Kronos combi timbre mutes via midi!!!

The solution is to use the Px5s zones to send the note data for each timbre on different channels and simply switch PX5s stages to mute the zones not needed on the PX5S.

It works perfectly!
aellison62

PostPosted: Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great, thanks for the detailed info. These two boards are meant for each other!
Hector Space

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aellison62 wrote:
Great, thanks for the detailed info. These two boards are meant for each other!

Yeah definitely.. once I’d set it up properly it just sings brilliantly. I can’t imagine going back to that RH3 bemoth lol

Another important thing (I mentioned on the FB group) is I found the SGX2 velocity setup isn’t right for the Px5s keybed dynamics. I needed to shift the intensity and the offset in each SGX2 EXi to get the best from it’s samples.

In fact I’ve ended up with several different configurations for the stock Steinway and Beckstein depending on whether I’m playing piano bar, pop or rock and roll. This includes splitting the keyboard around Say G3 and having two EXis, one setup for each half. This is because I find the lower octaves can easily over power the C4 C5 range (maybe my left hand is heavy!!lol) . On the Kurzweil Forte and Roland RD2000 and Kawai MP7se it’s possible to adjust the volume profiles on individual notes so you can get the (micing effect you want) but unfortunately not on the Kronos SGX2 engine! Still using two EXi slots does help a lot.

In the end you’ll get a great rig with the flexibility to deliver everything from great feeling piano to cool organs and synths. The combination will cover it all very well.
Perilous

PostPosted: Wed Dec 11, 2019 8:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hector Space wrote:
Ordinarily I would have used the external controller to simply dynamically mute the timbres not used (the k is set to CX3 control panel so the mutes aren’t available!). There's no external access to the Kronos combi timbre mutes via midi!!!

The Roland A-Pro Controllers can do that with sysex codes. If someone is stuck with the Kronos 88 RH3 behemoth, go for the A-800 Pro.

Or both!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: