Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Downgrade to Krome...?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: Downgrade to Krome...? Reply with quote

Hi, people. Let me explain this: I find myself at a bit of a quandary at the moment, I've had my Kronos 88 for 6 years and haven't taken it out for a rehearsal or show in 4, mainly because it's simply too heavy and unwieldy to lug around.

To be honest, it's always been the perfect instrument in all aspects but that, the gargantuan size and weight, which somehow precludes me from moving it, and it's come to the point in which I dread the prospect of having to do so if a show arose.

I should also add that I've never fully taken advantage of the Kronos. After so many years I come to realise that what I really need to play live is a rompler loaded with thousands of sounds, and frankly the main feature I absolutely love from it is the SST, which in my opinion should be mandatory in every workstation at this time and age, but I digress...

So, some weeks ago I put it on sale and I've been offered from a Kross 2 61 (which looks enticing since I could couple it with an 88 note midi controller) or a Krome 88.

Now, regarding the latter, do any of you have the Krome 88? Is it easy enough to move around compared to the Kronos88? What would I lose if I downgraded from the Kronos to the Krome apart from SST?

Is this the right move? I also have an M50 61, which I could easily control with an 88 note controller as well...

Any thoughts?

Kronos 88 - Korg M50 61 - Morphwiz - Alchemy synth
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Downgrade to Krome...? Reply with quote

ferchis wrote:
Hi, people. Let me explain this: I find myself at a bit of a quandary at the moment, I've had my Kronos 88 for 6 years and haven't taken it out for a rehearsal or show in 4, mainly because it's simply too heavy and unwieldy to lug around.

To be honest, it's always been the perfect instrument in all aspects but that, the gargantuan size and weight, which somehow precludes me from moving it, and it's come to the point in which I dread the prospect of having to do so if a show arose.

I should also add that I've never fully taken advantage of the Kronos. After so many years I come to realise that what I really need to play live is a rompler loaded with thousands of sounds, and frankly the main feature I absolutely love from it is the SST, which in my opinion should be mandatory in every workstation at this time and age, but I digress...

So, some weeks ago I put it on sale and I've been offered from a Kross 2 61 (which looks enticing since I could couple it with an 88 note midi controller) or a Krome 88.

Now, regarding the latter, do any of you have the Krome 88? Is it easy enough to move around compared to the Kronos88? What would I lose if I downgraded from the Kronos to the Krome apart from SST?

Is this the right move? I also have an M50 61, which I could easily control with an 88 note controller as well...

Any thoughts?

I see a 20 lb weight diff , Krome 88 vs Kronos 88.

I would guess the dimensions are similar.

If so, 33 lbs for an 88 should be more comfortable.

You didn't clarify your requirements, other than you need a 88 gig board, I nag everyone to do this.

In terms of feature diff , maybe you should go the Korg site and cross compare features, Krome 88 vs Kronos 88
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Dec 03, 2019 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Downgrade to Krome...? Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
ferchis wrote:

Any thoughts?

I see a 20 lb weight diff , Krome 88 vs Kronos 88.

I would guess the dimensions are similar.

If so, 33 lbs for an 88 should be more comfortable.

You didn't clarify your requirements, other than you need a 88 gig board, I nag everyone to do this.

In terms of feature diff , maybe you should go the Korg site and cross compare features, Krome 88 vs Kronos 88

Sorry, I should've mentioned that as a pianist I need some 88-note keyboard, and even though ideally a weighted action would be great, I don't mind if I have to play with just a midi controller with a semi-weighted keyboard.

Does Krome load new samples or something similar? It's not really what I'd need, but it would be nice to have some room for expansion

Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 12:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don’t know anything about the Krome. I have a close friend that owns and operates a repair shop. He told me that he rarely works on a Kronos, but he’s repaired quite a few Kromes. I’m just passing on what I was told.
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 1:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks! well, I still don't know what to do.

How many people here gig frequently with the Kronos 88?

would a dolly give me some respite as regards moving my keyboard around? I still can't believe that it's 2019 and we can't get a Kronos-like workstation/synth that weighs 11kg or whereabouts.

Jamist

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 2:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ferchis wrote:
thanks! well, I still don't know what to do.

How many people here gig frequently with the Kronos 88?

would a dolly give me some respite as regards moving my keyboard around? I still can't believe that it's 2019 and we can't get a Kronos-like workstation/synth that weighs 11kg or whereabouts.

(Dis)Qualifying statement: I don't perform, so the instruments I have never leave the room they live in. Also, while it happens I have both a Kronos and a Krome at the moment, the Kronos is an LS-88, and the Krome is a 73-key. So neither instrument has a full-weighted keybed.

Taking the above into account, if what you're looking for is a good piano sound, and you like the Kronos, the Krome might be a seriously good thing to consider. The basic piano sound is the same.

I haven't opened up my Krome, but I have had my hands inside the LS, and it's built like a tank. I can see how it would be a great gigging board, because it's designed to take some banging around. The internal design is well thought out - PC manufacturers should take note.

I liked the Krome well enough as a synth to fool around with, and I wouldn't have replaced it except that I stumbled across a great deal on a used LS. The sounds are decent. But the Krome strikes me as pretty lightweight in design, by comparison. (The only reason I still have it is that I haven't gotten around to selling it.)

I've read that the Krome "memory" is actually just an SD card (which screams "cheap"), and in terms of responsiveness, the Krome is definitely slower to respond than the Kronos.

If you're a serious performing musician, maybe consider investing in a case with some wheels? I know they exist. I'm guessing they're not cheap, though.

I hope this rambling has some value.

Jim D
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I briefly looked at Krome specs.

Its ike night and day compared to Kronos

I think Krome has good sounds, no problem there.
It has PCM memory and the SD card slot, as Jim noted

Thats it for 'processing tech and music production ' using Krome.
No linux based computer,, no SSD.

Sure, its $999, give or take.

Simple case of you get what you pay for.
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks a lot for the replies. I'm still considering what to do, I guess for now I'll stick with the Kronos which I love so much and if any shows arise in the future I'll gather the strength and eagerness to move it around, maybe on a hand cart or dolly, which could ease the job a bit, and even try to get someone to help me when doing so, especially at the place where the gig is.

I know I would probably lose quite a lot by downgrading, but it amazes me how much potential the Kronos has and how little I've scratched the surface. I'm a DAW kind of guy, so anything besides the actual sounds of the Kronos, I do in my computer

tenohtwo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My suggestion would be to sell the Kronos 88, then buy a Kronos 61 and an 88-key MIDI controller. The 61 is light enough to lug around to gigs. Smile

mgibian

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 8:01 pm    Post subject: I agree ... get a Kronos 61 and a light 88 key controller Reply with quote

Casio has an 88key fully weighted controller that's only 25 pounds! its being used by Tom Brislin on the current Kansas tour, so it clearly has to be up to whatever job you have in mind.
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tenohtwo wrote:
My suggestion would be to sell the Kronos 88, then buy a Kronos 61 and an 88-key MIDI controller. The 61 is light enough to lug around to gigs. Smile

you'll find this hard to believe, but THAT's exactly what I had before the 88 version, though with a Casio Privia. I sold it in order to have a single keyboard for playing live, and now I see how wrong I was. every time I've had to move this beast to a gig I remember that Kronos 61 fondly hahah

how pathetic is this...?

nevertheless, it was meant to be and so it happened. At least for now, I'll have to live with it and find the best possible way of moving my beloved Kronos around

dfahrner
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Dec 04, 2019 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might take a look at the Yamaha MODX - all versions are lot easier to carry than the Kronos, and the acoustic instrument sounds (including piano) are as good or better...the weighted-key 88 key version weighs 30 lbs., and the unweighted 76, while the keybed is not high quality (I find it usable, YMMV), weighs in at just 16 lbs. (!)...

df
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Dec 05, 2019 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's not cheap, have you considered an LS? MUCH lighter. All the same engines. No aftertouch though.
ferchis
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2019 3:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks again, guys. Yeah, the LS is something I've considered, but it's damn hard to sell the K88 as it is, and even then the retail price here in Argentina is ridiculous even for the LS, so, not a great weight difference and I'd still be paying though the nose to get it.

as regards the MODX88, wow, I have to say it sounds amazing! I see it combines 8 timbres as opposed to the 16 we know and love in Korg, but still looks enticing given the weight, MUCH more reasonable than that of my Kronos...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: