Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Korg N1R voltage question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spikey699

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 3:25 pm    Post subject: Korg N1R voltage question Reply with quote

Hey folks,

Just brought my Korg N1R back to Australia from the US, and wondering if I have to use a stepdown transformer with the 120V plug, or whether I can get a 240V plug here and use it directly.

Most synths I've used specify power requirements clearly, but as someone recently posted here, information on Korg N1 specs are sparse at best.

Thanks for any help Smile
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A stepdown transformer must be used in this case with the N1R supply, since the supply is an AC/AC transformer rated for 120V AC, and will a) be fried by connecting to 240V, as the windings will become saturated by the overvoltage, and large currents will flow, and b) if the N1R happens to be connected and switched on, there is a good chance it will also be fried. The only other solution is to get the dedicated N1R AC/AC supply variant that is rated at 240V AC input.

Spikey699

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply, but that sort of just reads my question back to me. Are you saying using a local 240V variant of the original power adapter, with correct 9V/adequate amperage will work?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The answer was quite specific and hardly a readback of the question at all. When you mentioned using a 240V plug, I took that to mean the 3 pronged thingie that fits in the Aussie local 240V mains socket, to the end of the 120V supply cable.

Spikey699

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My apologies, I didn't mean to be short.

I will be more specific: I can get a power supply here that's 240V and correct specs otherwise. Will that work since all N1Rs were made in Japan and maybe voltage switching, or do I need to use the US adapter with transformer?
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The N1R power supplies are not auto switching. There are two separate variants, the KA-350 for 240V AC input, and the KA-163 (or the older KA-143) for 120V AC input.

The 120V KA-163 (or KA-143) supply can be used off 240V AC, provided it is powered via a 240V to 120V step down transformer. Note the step down transformer HAS to be a transformer type, which will be relatively heavy, and not a diode type, which will be quite light in weight, but actually potentially dangerous in this case. I have seen step down devices on the market that are described as step down transformers, but which actually aren't transformers.

Spikey699

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, thanks. Yes, I am familiar with stepdown transformers, used many.

You mentioned earlier though that "the only other solution is to get the dedicated N1R AC/AC supply variant that is rated at 240V AC input.", which read to me that using an 240V adapter would work.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the two combinations that will work:

240V AC mains socket -> KA-350 -> N1R

240V AC mains socket -> 240V AC to 120V AC stepdown transformer -> KA-163 (or KA-143) -> N1R

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: