Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What to buy...???
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDavis wrote:
BUT, (and it's a big but) I don't want to spend 6 hrs of programming in order to play a 3-4 minute long melody.

Hi Jim
This comment from you is what stood out for me.
I have owned my Kronos 1 for a long long time and I am much the same as you - I don't wan't get "deep tech" with it.
I must say that you seriously do not have to spend hours of learning to enjoy and be productive on the Kronos.
Kronos "out-of-the-box" is absolutely superb and incredibly inspirational. I now love it's super-easy "split & layer" feature and I use this a lot in my improvisations. Yes, of course, there is always a learning curve with any new keyboard particularly when you hit the higher end of the market. I owned the Roland FA but didn't get on with it (just personal as I do like Rolands a lot)

So my comments are from a more "simple" owner of a top of the line keyboard. I spend a lot more in depth messing with my PA4X - also a great machine but if you are not needing arranger style keyboard, Kronos is the killer IMHO.

If you are happy to invest further, check out the Korg shop with all the Kronos add-ons - a good example is Sharp's offerings (Irish Acts) and many more.

Hope this helps a little more.

Cheers

Pete Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
JimDavis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all guys.
Today I went to my local GC to try the instruments and basically I really like the two at the end.

Kronos 73 (didn't see the actual body other than in demo videos) and Fantom 7... They both look cool, sophisticated, complex and able instruments.

I am basically 50/50 towards this two units. I think either one would make me happy.

The only thing I couldn't figure out is that Fantom's rhythm action. Unlike the Kronos' Karma deal it does not have a rhythm that accompanies the melody automatically when I played.
Salespeople were nowhere to befound and the only guy I caught had no idea how to accomplish that.
Also they di not have a Kronos on display but from past experience I think I remember vaguely how Karma was enriching the melody with the automatically synchronized rhythm.

I don't know if Fantom doesn't have such a thing or simply I didn't know how to turn that option on.

Of course just fiddling around in a crowded GC where people blasting guitars and banging on drums was not an ideal atmosphere to deal with a deep diving research of these gorgeous instruments.

This is what I am thinking. Pls let me know if I am making a mistake.

I think ordering a Fantom 7 from Sweetwater and upon arrival work with it for a few weeks by trying to find if it meets the conditions for what I want to accomplish.

IF it doesn't within first 30 days RETURN the Fantom 7 and place an order for Kronos 73...

I am giving first chance to new Fantom because I have a short lived experience with a Kronos 61 in the past. So at least I know a little bit of what to expect. But I'd like give a chance to Fantom to mesmerize me first.
If it doesn't goodbye Fantom and Hello Kronos.

BTW, couldn't see Kronos 73 on display, does it have hammer action weighted keys like 88 does?

BTW thanks everyone... I truly appreciate your expertise and advice.

Jim
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bring my headphones to any GC. Almost all GC's are noisey, it seems.

I agree with a buy and try. You can only go so far with people's opinions and Internet reading. At some point, you need to bring the baby home and see if you bond.

For a few good reasons, 1 being close to NAMM, I would push for a 60 day return/full refund policy- in writing. These expensive boards are complex and it takes more than 30 days at home to get a handle.

SW or GC likely won't give 60 days, but if the manager wants to see a sale, they might see it as a necessary wheel and deal. Another argument is that, in theory, new production keyboards are prone to defects, which will take more than 30 days to become apparent.

Bottom line, these keyboards should be 100% out of the box for many years.
JimDavis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed GregC... I've made the same points to them and GC says 45 days return while SW agreed 60 days return policy.

I think if I buy one during Black Friday I'll not be risking much other than a lengthy trial period.

Starting with Fantom from SW. By the time 60th day comes I'll be either happy or returning it for a Kronos or whatever new versions of these (if any) comes out at NAMM...

This is the only exciting part of getting old I guess. I wish I could've done this kind of things when I was 20-25 yrs old. Those days I've had an electric guitar but couldn't afford the amp and I was playing attached to a neighbor's borrowed old furniture style radio's Aux port. Sad

Now too many options to decide. Oh well. Life!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDavis wrote:
Agreed GregC... I've made the same points to them and GC says 45 days return while SW agreed 60 days return policy.

I think if I buy one during Black Friday I'll not be risking much other than a lengthy trial period.

Starting with Fantom from SW. By the time 60th day comes I'll be either happy or returning it for a Kronos or whatever new versions of these (if any) comes out at NAMM...

This is the only exciting part of getting old I guess. I wish I could've done this kind of things when I was 20-25 yrs old. Those days I've had an electric guitar but couldn't afford the amp and I was playing attached to a neighbor's borrowed old furniture style radio's Aux port. Sad

Now too many options to decide. Oh well. Life!

excellent work, Jim. GC might offer 24 month free financing thru Barclays or Synchrony.

we are in the same demographic. I have often said I am 40 years too late, a late bloomer in many areas.

Some friends have said no, its never to late to make interesting music.

And there are numerous examples of folks in their 50's/60's/70's with significant achievement/accomplishment.

The human spirit and motivation is the difference and it can over come the physical.
JimDavis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right on GregC. I had a SW account with enough credit for more than this Fantom + 2 monitors and a stand worth and they also offer 24 month with 0 interest and they promised to apply any upcoming promotion regarding Black Friday or Christmas sale to my acct as credit back.
So I am golden Wink
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 6:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JimDavis wrote:
Right on GregC. I had a SW account with enough credit for more than this Fantom + 2 monitors and a stand worth and they also offer 24 month with 0 interest and they promised to apply any upcoming promotion regarding Black Friday or Christmas sale to my acct as credit back.
So I am golden Wink

that is f*&g cool, when financial promotion hooks up with major gear purchasing. This is the time of year when retailers and banks are super motivated.

When I used Barclays [ or Synchrony] they also gave back 2% rewards - which came in handy for buying pedals, etc.

Definitely make sure you are getting a solid stand for your keyboard.

While all this is going on- watch for NAMM 2020 and see if EOL is doing a number on product transition.

Another wrinkle is tariffs for product made in China. Yamaha increased the MODX price by $100 . Tariffs were fingered.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: