Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Great Albums; Peter Gabriel So- A Documentary

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 3:33 pm    Post subject: Great Albums; Peter Gabriel So- A Documentary Reply with quote

https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Gabriel-So-Classic-Albums/dp/B07KFPKV3C

If you have Amazon Prime, this is a must.

If I had to choose 1 album, this is it

I think you will enjoy the ' behind the scenes ' of this timeless album by a great artist/songwriter
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Great Albums; Peter Gabriel So- A Documentary Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
https://www.amazon.com/Peter-Gabriel-So-Classic-Albums/dp/B07KFPKV3C

If you have Amazon Prime, this is a must.

If I had to choose 1 album, this is it

I think you will enjoy the ' behind the scenes ' of this timeless album by a great artist/songwriter

I am a big fan of the early Genesis period, and saw Peter Gabriel in a Paris concert for his very first solo album (about 1977 or so). I was fantastic.

Yes, "So" is a great album, for sure.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They discuss Manu, a highly regarded session drummer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Manu_Katché

I caught on to Genesis, when Nursery Cryme came out in 1971.

FM radio stations here in the US were playing what was called ' album cuts' or album rock. Musical Box was the song I heard that got my attention.

I caught Genesis in late '72 or 1973 during their first [ or 2nd ?} US tour.

Concert was amazing. It was in a Chicago suburb, Evanston. I think the venue was under 2000 sets.

When PG went solo, I missed out on any US performances , where he performed his first 3 solo albums.

But in the later 80's/90's, I never missed his incredible concerts
tenohtwo

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love this documentary, watched it years ago. I met Tony Levin at a Stick Men gig a couple of years ago, and asked if he remembered locking Pete in the barn to write lyrics! He couldn't recall, but it was really no time for an interview Razz I learned a whole new appreciation for bass tracks at age 20, when a friend had me re-listen to "Sledgehammer" around 1991, and just focus on Levin's bass playing. Ever since that day, I always appreciate great bass tracks when I hear them.

I saw PG's 'Secret World' tour in Phoenix in '93, and it is still one of my favorite concert experiences. Papa Wemba (a Real World artist) was the opener, and was very enjoyable (they joined Gabriel onstage for In Your Eyes in the encore). A then-unknown Paula Cole was his backup singer, and she did a great job on the Sinead and Kate tracks. The live version of "Secret World" still sends shivers down my spine, what a jam. The visuals are so memorable from that concert, and I'm glad it was captured on video.

I also caught him on the Up Tour in 2003, and the Back To Front Tour in 2012 at the Greek in L.A. (complete with John Cusack walking onstage before In Your Eyes with a boombox raised over his head), but the '93 tour is still tops.

Derek Cook
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You don't necessarily need Amazon Prime for this, as the Classic albums series is quite often on satellite TV.

I do like the bit where Daniel Lanios nailed the door shut, locking Peter Gabriel into the writing room for him to finish the lyrics.....

So is a great album, but I do not think it is a match for PG3 and PG4. Smile

And was listening to US this morning. That one has stood the test of time as well.

Follow kronos.factory development and submit ideas over at the kronos.factory Trello Board

My Echoes Music Website
My Carreg Ddu Music Website
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: