Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Step Sequencer: How have initial attack happen every note?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CorgieFan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:29 am    Post subject: Step Sequencer: How have initial attack happen every note? Reply with quote

I'm trying to use the Step Sequencer to play a melody, how can I get the initial "Attack" of each note to re-play again?

For instance I'm using the I-050: Stinger Syn Brass sound, which has a bright attack that gets muted after the initial attack. When I hold the note down to play the sequence I've created, the initial bright attack only happens on the first note and the rest of the sequenced notes are muted with no initial attack.

Is there a way to tell the Step Sequencer to have each sequenced note strike like a "fresh note" instead of a continuation of the first note?

Thanks in advance.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Program I-D050 seems to sound the same here, attack-wise, with each note played. Similarly in Sequencer mode, when used on its own. It is possible the effects from one of the other Programs in the Sequencer may have effects that do not reset with each keystroke, and Program I-D050 is being routed through those.

CorgieFan

PostPosted: Sun Nov 10, 2019 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks so much for responding voip. Are you saying you are hearing the "new" attack of each note in the step sequencer, as opposed to what I'm saying about only hearing the "drone" of the held note play through the step sequence like I'm hearing?

Here are screenshots of what I did to set assign OSC1 and OSC2 to Step Sequencer, and I'm not hearing the new "strike" of a new note play through the sequence, am I leaving something out I should be setting up?

Thanks so much for any suggestions you can give me. the I-D050 program is "stock" on my Kronos so I wouldn't think any effects would be different for me than they would be for you.

Thank you!
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: Step Sequencer: How have initial attack happen every not Reply with quote

CorgieFan wrote:
I'm trying to use the Step Sequencer to play a melody, how can I get the initial "Attack" of each note to re-play again?

For instance I'm using the I-050: Stinger Syn Brass sound, which has a bright attack that gets muted after the initial attack. When I hold the note down to play the sequence I've created, the initial bright attack only happens on the first note and the rest of the sequenced notes are muted with no initial attack.

Is there a way to tell the Step Sequencer to have each sequenced note strike like a "fresh note" instead of a continuation of the first note?

Thanks in advance.

Because you're holding the note down, the filter EG is going to continue to run through its stages as normal. You could try to reset the filter EG by some means to make it start at the beginning again, or you could just simply edit that program's filter EG decay and sustain to leave it at is highest level throughout. I would probably choose the latter in this case. But really, it's going to depend on what you want out of the sound. If you do want some muting of the sound for each melodic note, which you probably do, I'm not certain what to do in this case. Well, actually, I would shift the program into sequencer mode and create patterns there instead of using the step sequencer. But that's a pain if you want your melodic patterns to track the notes you play on the keyboard, for instance. In that case, I might try to duplicate the program in HD-1 and then make a wave sequence out of it instead.

Anyway... maybe none of this particularly helpful, but holding down the note means that filter EG is going to keep running and the filter brightness is decreasing because of it.
darwinwiebe

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 3:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you have the Kronos 2? If so, you may be helped by looking at the voice “Kyrie” in the bass category. If not, then I don’t know what you can check. But this is something I have yet to figure out, but I’m sure it has to do with the ams mixer area. It seems to mix a gate along with the step sequencer.

Just not sure how it all works together to “retrigger” a new note with every step.
CorgieFan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Step Sequencer: How have initial attack happen every not Reply with quote

Your suggestions (and the others) have been really helpful, thanks so much for your input and sorry for the delay in responding.

I'm currently using the step sequencer to play a sound that keeps it's brightness, and that will work for now... At some point if I want to improve it, maybe my best bet is just to use the actual sequencer to play the 8 bars I need, export it out and re-import it as a WAV to put into the sampler which I can then add to the Combi I'm using.

With my limitations of what I know about the Kronos at this point that may be my best bet, since I AM comfortable with adding samples. Again, thanks so much, I don't know what I'd do without this forum!

HardSync wrote:
Because you're holding the note down, the filter EG is going to continue to run through its stages as normal. You could try to reset the filter EG by some means to make it start at the beginning again, or you could just simply edit that program's filter EG decay and sustain to leave it at is highest level throughout. I would probably choose the latter in this case. But really, it's going to depend on what you want out of the sound. If you do want some muting of the sound for each melodic note, which you probably do, I'm not certain what to do in this case. Well, actually, I would shift the program into sequencer mode and create patterns there instead of using the step sequencer. But that's a pain if you want your melodic patterns to track the notes you play on the keyboard, for instance. In that case, I might try to duplicate the program in HD-1 and then make a wave sequence out of it instead.

Anyway... maybe none of this particularly helpful, but holding down the note means that filter EG is going to keep running and the filter brightness is decreasing because of it.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm pretty sure the Step Sequencer cannot trigger new envelope events. You might want to try a KARMA module.
darwinwiebe

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2019 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
I'm pretty sure the Step Sequencer cannot trigger new envelope events. You might want to try a KARMA module.

Actually, it will do it. The voice I referenced in my post (Kyrie) does it from the step sequencer. It recreates the distinct synth/bass line that you hear in the Mr. Mister song Kyrie but altered slightly.

The AMS mixer has something to do with it, but I haven’t figured out exactly how. I believe it mixes the tone control with a gate to make it retrigger.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: