Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As of a few yrs ago, Apple was organized to take care of new Mac buyers who preferred a lower OS.

Apple is not going to time warp the OS 5 or more years. FYI.

I recall you can claw back 2 OS versions. Apple customer support will hook you up with their Licensing Dep't. You have to accept license docs for the prior or older OS.

After, they point you to an Apple site where you d/l Mojave or whatever.
Of course, its a large D/l, possibly 2 or more hours.

IOW, if you need to claw back, you are required to jump thru a few hoops
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It isn't just the 32 bit side either, soon apple will turn on the feature in Catalina that requires all software to be notarized, to notarize software you have to send it off to Apple to be approved via a set of rules that they determine.

Currently the rules are relaxed until January to make it easier to get things notarized, after that any new software will have to run with a hardened runtime.

In a hardened runtime any dynamic library loaded will also have to be notarised to be loaded, VSTs are dynamic libraries. At that point any VST that is not notarised will not work.

Imagine if Microsoft said "Ok, from now on any DLL loaded by your windows OS needs to be approved by Microsoft or it will not load, also any executables need to be approved my Microsoft or you can not install them".
Poseidon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apple’s Notary Service can’t compete with a supermarket restroom

https://eclecticlight.co/2019/11/05/apples-notary-service-cant-compete-with-a-supermarket-restroom/
Devnor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Blame Apple all you want but RME audio interfaces are Catalina ready including the 15 year old Fireface 800.
whelafam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:40 am    Post subject: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

I reached out to Korg support today inquiring on when the midi support for Catalina would be released and if there was an eta. I was excited to get the following response from Saulo Valerio and I hope the release is something we can all use.

His reponse;

There is still no confirmed ETA although we hope to see a release this week still.

Best regards,
Saulo Valerio

KORG UK Ltd
www.korg.com/uk
www.voxamps.com

Date: Sunday, 24 November 2019 at 15:28
To: Support <support>
Subject: Re: Korg Product Support

Good morning, just checking again, any updates for the - KORG USB-MIDI Driver (Each products that use it)? If not can you tell me roughly a future target date?
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

whelafam wrote:
I reached out to Korg support today inquiring on when the midi support for Catalina would be released and if there was an eta. I was excited to get the following response from Saulo Valerio and I hope the release is something we can all use.

His reponse;

There is still no confirmed ETA although we hope to see a release this week still.

Best regards,
Saulo Valerio

KORG UK Ltd
www.korg.com/uk
www.voxamps.com

Date: Sunday, 24 November 2019 at 15:28
To: Support <support>
Subject: Re: Korg Product Support

Good morning, just checking again, any updates for the - KORG USB-MIDI Driver (Each products that use it)? If not can you tell me roughly a future target date?

Finally 64-bit drivers ! Better late than never.
Thanks for a Great News.
whelafam

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2019 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can only hope!
whelafam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 11:51 am    Post subject: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

Looks like they have given us an early Christmas present. Check out the Korg News page;

https://www.korg.com/us/news/2019/112902/

Looks like they are using the Standard Apple USB MIDI driver now. Please post your experiences with the update.

Compatibility with Mac OS v10.12 Sierra/ v10.13 High Sierra/ v10.14 Mojave/v10.15 Catalina
11/29/2019
Note:*Please note that we have discontinued our support for any products not listed in these charts. We have tested new products with the latest versions as of Nov 2019.
Notes about macOS Catalina: Please use only with Apple standard driver. KORG USB-MIDI Driver cannot be used on macOS Catalina. Please uninstall the KORG USB-MIDI Driver and use the standard driver. Please refer following link: https://www.korg.com/news/2019/112902/
You can download the latest versions for free at https://www.korg.
com/us/support/download/ (except some products with notes as
follows).
**: All our software do not support Snow Leopard 64-bit mode.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 2:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

whelafam wrote:
... they have given us an early Christmas present...

There was no Korg OS or firmware upgrade, and MIDI driver has been simply removed.
Where is that present ?
The Editor and Plug-in is still “Under Examination”

I already see a horizon - ABANDONWARE. Crying or Very sad
whelafam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 8:35 pm    Post subject: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

So I was a bit confused how all of a sudden it will work with the OS default midi setup. I assumed the updates were on the OS side and they simply hadn't tested it yet. Here my assumption.... I will update the OS remove the Korg driver and my Korg Kronos will be recognized by the OS and that it will work fine with Logic Pro X. I guess I will know in a little while since after I post this I am moving ahead with the OS. I will post again later if this was a good move or not.
whelafam

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2019 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, so I just finished loading Catalina, I ran the Korg USB uninstaller and restarted my machine. I have successfully connected using the USB to Logic Pro X. I created and played back external MIDI device (Korg), I also created and played back software instrument, I also created and played back audio instrument. All using the USB connection. I did have one issue ... probably operator error... I was so anxious to try the Korg that I didn't restart the machine after I ran the uninstaller. I was able to record but no playback. Once I realized I didn't restart I restarted and then to be safe I ran the uninstall again and restarted one more time. After that everything was as I described above. No obvious issues to report. That was my experience run at your own risk, just like me... if it didn't work I would have no one to blame but me. Good Luck....
jantoman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some months ago I got a Mac Pro 6.1 for my home studio. Since the installed OS was Catalina I had to uninstall the Korg MIDI Driver. My Kawai digital piano USB port worked right away, so I connected the Kronos through MIDI cables and forgot about it.

Then I upgraded to Catalina my MacBook Air as well: I played some gigs with MainStage and my Roland A800 Pro master keyboard without any problem.

Tonight I tried to connect the Kronos to my laptop, but I couldn't see any icon in the Audio MIDI Setup window, and the same thing happened with my Triton Extreme. When I connect with the same USB cable a cheap eKeys 49 its icon appears immediately in the MIDI window...

I guess something went wrong during the uninstall process, because both Kronos and Triton showed up in Audio MIDI setup using another Mac. I'll try to run the uninstaller again and see what happens.
jantoman

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2023 10:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran the Korg Uninstaller again and this time it worked... Phew.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: