Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Replace main encoder?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2019 9:03 am    Post subject: there used to be a product called shield Reply with quote

there used to be a product called shield from channel master
good stuff to use after you used the de oxit.
and it would stay wet in the contacts..
a super thin silicone spray would help!!
any thing to keep the contacts from
corrosion again!!
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.
MRT midi Breath Controller. 6 studio rooms.
Nealster

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 8:58 pm    Post subject: Replacing the encoder, how-to. Reply with quote

I've had the dreaded value encoder problem for a year. I could fix it temporarily by spraying it with electronic cleaner and wiggling it around, but the problem always came back.
Finally, I decided to man up and just replace the encoder.

Thanks a lot LiPI for posting your experiences in this thread, and thanks Timo for posting the "Inside the Radias" thread. It was really helpful to know what to expect when going in.

I didn't have much problem disassembling the Radias to get to the bottom board, it was easier than expected to take apart the boards and reassemble them as long as you keep track of which screws go where, there's a lot of different screws. As LiPi noted, the hard part was getting the old encoder loose. (More on this below)

Anyway, here is a quick step by step if anyone else needs to replace their encoder. If you decide to go for it, wear an anti-static wristband and make sure you don't overheat any nearby components.

1. Turn the Radias upside down. Use a couple of books under the rack ears so you don't damage the pots.
2. Remove all the screws (make sure to note down which screws go where as there is a lot of different ones).
3. Take off the bottom metal plate.
4. Disconnect and unscrew the long narrow circuit board with all the outputs.

5. Unscrew the smaller DSP circuit board and remove it carefully. The boards are connected tightly with a 50 pin connector (on the right here) and you definitely don't want to bend the pins on that one.

6. Unscrew the metal spacers, then remove all the screws that hold the big circuit board in place.

7. Carefully lift out the big circuit board. It's long and fragile so make sure you are careful when handling it or you might break it.

The encoder on the top right is what you're going to replace.

8. Here you can see the underside of the board. This is after I've removed the old encoder and soldered in the new one. These 5 solder points are what holds the encoder in place.

9. Here comes the hard part, getting the encoder loose. You have to desolder the three small pins and two big "grip" pins. If you don't get all the solder out, it's hard to pull the old encoder off. I had to cut a couple of the legs of the old encoder to be able to wiggle it free. (There is a product called ChipQuik which supposedly can help with desoldering multiple points, but it's not something I had available).

10. Clean up the solder points.
11. Mount and solder the new encoder.
12. Put everything back together. Be extra careful when putting the DSP circuit board back on, so you don't bend the pins on the 50-pin connector.

Good luck!
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Jul 07, 2019 9:33 pm    Post subject: radias encoder Reply with quote

radias encoder
a couple of things work well for double sided japan boards
and solder removal.
and worth waiting till you get them!!
NTE Electronics SW02-10 No-Clean Solder Wick, 4 Blue.098" Width, 10' Length
in the 10 foot small pack it runs retail at amazon 6.88 with prime.
there is also a longer pack of it!! that is what I stock here as it does not go bad with age.

and then a solder sucking iron.
US 30W Handheld Electric Tin Suction Sucker Pen Desoldering Pump Soldering Tool
search that on ebay
they also make an eu 220 volt version.
I keep spares of these!!

then the ultimate is a hako rework station..
but those are 500 usd and up!!

the big key is here DO NOT OVER HEAT THE BOARD!!
i cannot stress that enough!!
and do not force the parts out of the board!!
heat the pins add some solder to fresh up the connection
then use the removal tool
or solder wick to remove the solder.
and remember this is a double sided board!!
you may have to do this 5-6 times to get a clean hole for easy removal!

I use cordless irons iso tip brand for rework...
and the solder wick..
less chance of static issues frying parts!!

but i have been doing this for 50 years!!
lots of practice!! lol!!

encoder replacement is the best solution!!
but can be pricy if you have a pro shop do it!!
but it is not a job for a first time project...
the units are way too pricy!!
find a seasoned friend to help you on the project!!
it is worth the case of beer!!
LOL!!
or steak dinner!!
Current Gear: korg m3 expanded radias firewire 88 key Radias r on mat, korg radias r on mat on 61 key bed, Korg triton rack w 96mb ram scsi port, 5) korg RADIAS-R on big rack, korg kaossilator pro plus, 6) roland integra7, 4 Roland sc55, 2 roland sb55, 5) fostex 2016, behringer fx2000, 2) roland a800 pro, 2) roland a88 and 2) a49, roland juno, Doepfer MAQ 16/3, 2 Manikin Electronic Schrittmacher, most soft synths. cake walk all old and new versions.
3 schecter guitars, 3 elevenracks, most mxr effects, 2 zoom r24, avid pro tools 11.

Last edited by iowagold on Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:16 pm; edited 4 times in total
Ws205wjs

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2019 1:27 pm    Post subject: Radias Encoder Reply with quote

Just dealing with the same issue, and looking to buy a replacement encoder. Would anyone happen to know if the radias shares the same encoder component as that of the electribe EMX1? They seem similar. Someone on ebay is advertising an encoder under the title "Korg Encoder Electribe EMX1 Radias"

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/183815794949
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:21 pm    Post subject: radias encoder search Reply with quote

radias encoder search
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570.l1313&_nkw=korg+radias+encoder&_sacat=0

Replacement for:
Radias
KORG Part # 510370520001

https://www.ebay.com/itm/KORG-Replacement-Encoder-for-Radias/192037235889?

blue planet media has them in Denver co USA
iowagold
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2019 7:38 pm    Post subject: spray to try Hosa DeoxIT D5S6 Contact Cleaner + F5S-H6 Fader Reply with quote

Hosa DeoxIT D5S6 Contact Cleaner + F5S-H6 FaderLube
amazon prime has it
https://www.amazon.com/Hosa-D5S6-Contact-F5S-H6-FaderLube/dp/B00HNV7WI2/

the lube should help with the action.
this is a tight fit case on this encoder, so a bit of patience when cleaning!!
the object is to fill the case of the encoder with spray and the operate the encoder a lot!!

it is a basic switch in side with contacts.. it has a serrated wheel in there pressing on the lever arm for the contact points...
so it gets dirty!!
the lube will help keep the contact wet.

I wish all of this stuff had a hole in it that you could inject the cleaner and the protectant.

we are in the throw away era... and in this case..
you have to repair it as korg has not done a radias reissue yet!!
sure wish they would bring back the kks gear!!
or behringer would grab it!!
the kks keybeds would be cool with the new behringer other clone modules that are out there!!
just make the key beds with midi!!
and then have trays for the modules!!
tonyman

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:11 am    Post subject: Spares Reply with quote

Hi

I know its an old thread, but thought this may be helpful

I wanted to replace the main encoder - it works, but I have to turn it very slowly or it jumps to lower values..

I emailed Korg Support
And asked ..
Comments: I'm trying to locate these parts for a Korg Radias.

The main program/value encoder sometimes acts erratically.

Part Name: ROTARY ENCODER
Part Reference: EC16B242041S (D) L=15MM

(Rotary encoder, the big white jog dial)

Also the Volume pot. .

Part Name: ROTARY VR
Part Reference: RV112BCF-40-20A-B10K

Any help gratefully received.

Korg Replied..

=============================

Returns (Korg UK Ltd)

Thanks you for your enquiry.

Please Note: At this present moment in time, we are unable to take payment via Credit Card.

Please follow this link https://ip.korguk.com/korg_spares/login.aspx to register your details on the system. Once logged in, enter the part code(s) into the search box and add required quantities.
Once complete proceed to checkout.

The find below the alternate part codes for both the 510370520001 and 510374524021 which has now been discontinued and no longer available.

Part Code: 500370004500
Part Ref: ROTARY ENCODER EC16B242041SA POT
Retail inc VAT: £ 5.11
Availability: In stock

Part Code: 510374524027
Part Ref: RV112BCF-40-20A-B10K RV112BCF-40-20A-B10K
Retail inc VAT: £ 5.11
Availability: In stock
We aim to deliver your items within 3 - 5 working days from when your payment details are authorised.

=====================

Korg's ordering system seems to fail when checking out.
But using the part numbers I was able to find other suppliers.

RS Components have the main rotary pot (EC16B242041SA) on back order ( Delivery Feb 2020) for £1.06 - free delivery..

Long Live the Radias!
Nealster

PostPosted: Thu Mar 12, 2020 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're in the EU, I got my replacement encoder from Vintage Synth Parts in Italy, really recommend them. Link: https://www.vintagesynthparts.com/korg/radias/.

If you're in the US there seems to be plenty of eBay sellers that have replacement encoders.
Silica

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2020 8:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey there,

I just bought one of these used and it seems to have this exact problem. It seems like a simple fix, but I am not confident with my soldering skills. I have only repaired one piece of equipment once. It was a Korg Electribe EM1 that needed the FX pot replaced. I managed to get it out and put a new one in, but it was a sloppy job using a cheap iron and solder. I'm afraid to do this myself with this much nicer machine. Can anyone point me to someone in Los Angeles who might be able to do this for a reasonable price? I sold my Minilogue XD that I had just paid off in order to fund this purchase! This is my only synth now and it sucks that it has this problem.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg RADIAS / R3 All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: