Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Buying my K one of the best decisions I’ve made
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 10:46 pm    Post subject: Buying my K one of the best decisions I’ve made Reply with quote

Having some topic fun today
Wink

But its true. For me, buying a Kronos 8 yrs ago is way up the list.

Other 'best ' decisions'

Moving from Chicago to SF Bay Area when I was 23

Buying a house in CA before prices went from crazy to nut-so.

A few more, but I will save it Very Happy
PCFREE
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Buying my K one of the best decisions I’ve made Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
Having some topic fun today
Wink

But its true. For me, buying a Kronos 8 yrs ago is way up the list.

Other 'best ' decisions'

Moving from Chicago to SF Bay Area when I was 23

Buying a house in CA before prices went from crazy to nut-so.

A few more, but I will save it Very Happy

Cool Cool

....as we forgive those who synthesize against us!!
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey. I grew up in Chicago too. I was on the road when I decided to move to Sacramento. I was 27. Don't miss the Chicago winters!
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
Hey. I grew up in Chicago too. I was on the road when I decided to move to Sacramento. I was 27. Don't miss the Chicago winters!

cool. It was a good place to grow up in . When I graduated from college and started my business career, I got a case of happy feet- I was bored with the city, and the winters are miserable. I am not into the so called ' seasons '.

The music scene for bands was brutal/harsh in Chicago in the 70's. I also quit the band scene at 23.

I had good luck with a conventional business career at 23, my employer liked my work and transferred me to SF, paid for my move, travel, etc.

I never looked back.
19naia
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool....I will be in Chicago before the middle of November.
Just for a stop over at O'hare, for a connection to Los Angeles, and final destination is to settle in Hawaii for a while.

Done the O’Hare stop-over many times, and also did a drive long ago, from Cincinnati to Chicago.

California? Did a day trip through LA, Sanfransisco, and used to spend Christmas days in SanDiego, near the beach every year when i lived in the Arizona desert and desperately needed to see big water again.
NormC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:

Lived in Sacramento from late 87-90. (McClellan AFB) I loved the Pizza and Pipes restaurant with the theater organ. Closed in 96 I believe.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was regretting my purchase for a while because I was having so many intermittent problems with my Kronos2-61 that I bought open-box from Guitar Center.

But after bringing it to the shop (Rainbow Electronics in Sacramento) for the 3rd time and insisting that they keep it until they could reproduce the dreaded "A problem has been detected" failure, I'm a happy customer now. They had it for well over a month before they observed the failure. They replaced both the motherboard and the power supply under warranty, and it has been rock-solid ever since.

ronnfigg, are you still in Sacramento? I've been in the area since '96. Working at Intel in Folsom and gigging on the side.
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:
I was regretting my purchase for a while because I was having so many intermittent problems with my Kronos2-61 that I bought open-box from Guitar Center.

But after bringing it to the shop (Rainbow Electronics in Sacramento) for the 3rd time and insisting that they keep it until they could reproduce the dreaded "A problem has been detected" failure, I'm a happy customer now. They had it for well over a month before they observed the failure. They replaced both the motherboard and the power supply under warranty, and it has been rock-solid ever since.

ronnfigg, are you still in Sacramento? I've been in the area since '96. Working at Intel in Folsom and gigging on the side.

Yes. I am in Antelope. PM me and I'll send you my email. I'll tell you my Rainbow story (it's good).
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
ronnfigg wrote:

cool. It was a good place to grow up in . When I graduated from college and started my business career, I got a case of happy feet- I was bored with the city, and the winters are miserable. I am not into the so called ' seasons '.

The music scene for bands was brutal/harsh in Chicago in the 70's.

Hey - I was born in Chicago and spent my first 21 years there! What bands were you in in the 70's? I was in three bands that played the Chicago bar scene maybe '73 - '76 or so. "ZAJ", "Karnival", and "Tears". Not that any of them ever became that popular, but we played all the places (mainly in the 'burbs") like SOP's, Thirsty Whale, Night Gallery, Mother's, B-Ginnings... and a bunch of others I'm forgetting. Smile

GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
[q

Hey - I was born in Chicago and spent my first 21 years there! What bands were you in in the 70's? I was in three bands that played the Chicago bar scene maybe '73 - '76 or so. "ZAJ", "Karnival", and "Tears". Not that any of them ever became that popular, but we played all the places (mainly in the 'burbs") like SOP's, Thirsty Whale, Night Gallery, Mother's, B-Ginnings... and a bunch of others I'm forgetting. Smile

Hey Stephen, such a small keyboard world Wink

How about "Rush Up " on Rush street ? One of my bands, Future Shock,managed a Monday night audition. We did not make the grade, LOL.

Early on, we joined battle of the band stuff at high school dances, NW side[ Norridge, Park Ridge, North side and Melrose Park.
We had steady work [ 1 week end per month] at a venue in Melrose Park, I can't recall the name.

We had an attractive female singer, who had talent. That was our main draw, we did the typical top 40, Soul, album cuts.

We survived dive bar gigs on the South Side. have some ugly stories, which did us in from the scene.

We hung out at Thirsty Whale, Mother's, B-Ginnings. Assessing our competition which was significant. I think I saw Karnival !
ronnfigg
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was in HS in the early 70s. I went to Rush Up with a fake draft card. The bouncer at the door identified it as such but let me in anyway! Only in Chicago! Most of my Chicago (and the tri-state area) gigging was from 1977-1979. One Top 40 band and one New Wave/power pop doing about 50% covers and 50% originals. Those 10pm - 4am weekend gigs were murder. Hit the road in 1980 and ultimately wound up in CA.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 31, 2019 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ronnfigg wrote:
I was in HS in the early 70s. I went to Rush Up with a fake draft card. The bouncer at the door identified it as such but let me in anyway! Only in Chicago! Most of my Chicago (and the tri-state area) gigging was from 1977-1979. One Top 40 band and one New Wave/power pop doing about 50% covers and 50% originals. Those 10pm - 4am weekend gigs were murder. Hit the road in 1980 and ultimately wound up in CA.

another Rush Up memory. I saw Tommy Shaw perform at Rush Up just before Styx hired him.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, "Rush Up" was another one. And another club just came to mind: Harlow's.

Edit: Oh, and speaking of Park Ridge, wasn't there a club named "Papa John's" or something like that? I saw Ted Nugent there. As a matter of fact, Ted Nugent and I went to the same high school in Arlington Heights, IL - St. Viator's (catholic boy's school). He was ahead of me. We booked him for a live concert there when I was in my Junior year, and put ourselves as the opening act. He came out in his loincloth and shot arrows into his speaker cabinets. The priests were not pleased. Wink I still remember him doing "Papa's Will" and screaming like a madman. What a song. Incidentally, he actually liked what I was doing in the opening act and spoke to me briefly about becoming his keyboard player. Didn't happen - I was 17. Ha hah. Missed opportunities.

Last edited by StephenKay on Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:37 am; edited 3 times in total
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:

do you keep in contact with old band members from the 70's ?

I got nostalgic last year, and tried to reach several of the guys. it was interesting to talk to them after 40 years
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2019 3:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GregC wrote:
StephenKay wrote:

do you keep in contact with old band members from the 70's ?

I got nostalgic last year, and tried to reach several of the guys. it was interesting to talk to them after 40 years

See my edit up above, just added some more info you might be interested in.

Sadly, most of the guys in my bands from those days have passed on. I stayed in touch with a few but gone now.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: