Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Firmware 2.00 Aftertouch and Korg's market plans

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgarner

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 10:47 am    Post subject: Firmware 2.00 Aftertouch and Korg's market plans Reply with quote

What do you reckon MIDI AT foretells?

- A Prologue XD?
- A Prologue XD module?
- A programme of factory keyboard upgrades to enable AT in existing Prologues? (ok, I'm dreaming)
NickZoll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

option #3 would be awesome
RobustAmerican

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably an XD model at some point. Have you guys been working with the aftertouch? I have and it certainly adds to the sum total when playing from a controller. I've been updating patches for weeks trying to find the best assignments. Without a range parameter like the MW has this becomes trial and error. Some destinations simply need a range control to be usable.

I've also noticed that when AT is assigned to the chorus vibrato depth there is a pretty long delay or fade in/out to the effect, making it an unusable assignment in most cases. I noticed this with the MW too but it doesn't seem as drastic as the AT fade in/out time. Weird.
NickZoll

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really, I use expression pedal for now
rgarner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2019 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I literally finally got my studio together last week so suddenly the Prologue's being used kind of as a module.

So doing stuff from an AT-enabled Nektar Panorama has revealed a few things about the AT:

- it works kinda nicely on resonance
- it works kinda nicely on anything that needs the occasional positive stab
- it can't be applied negatively
- it can't be scaled

So I think it's a marketing sop – "Hey, Prologue does AT now!" but the implementation is on the limited side except for certain use cases (which can sound very good).

I'm not complaining, though, it finally records and responds to CC11...
Narioso

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2019 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think AT is overrated - it's been in the specs since beginning of midi 1984 or whenever it was agreed upon. And still it's not standard in keybeds implemented today - it exist - but more like an exception. That tells a story.

Think about a grand piano and how much a pianist need to practise to really squeeze nuances out of it. It could be by velocity alone as midi.

So look at how Nordlead did it - to make synth expressive.

In common terms you could say they got 20+ cross mod from velocity as source - to every knob on the panel, which is every parameter. Nothing hidden in menu systems - there is no menues even.

And you have individual amount on each of those modulation channels by simply setting min/max of each knob.

This is how it works and as simple as it gets:
- set knobs as you want them as basic sound
- press Assign button
- turn knobs to other position - to go depending on velocity.
- press Assign again
- done

This opens up to make every preset/patch you make as expressive as a separate instrument if you want - based on velocity. Like a pianist learn to handle keys on a grand piano with nuances.

Add to that layer 4 parts with individual like above. 20 voices to even use for unison stuff.

If not wanting this on velocity - you can assign to mod wheel - and morph with that or expression pedal.

This is unrivaled as far as I saw. Monosynth like Matrix Brute probably with 16x16 true matrix - with as many sources and destinations.

Kingkorg had 6 channels each on layer A and B - with numerous sources and destinations.

Not sure why they dropped that completely in Prologue - didn't people appreciate that?

Clever thing with multi engine - but why drop cross mod stuff?
The true VCO synths like Prophet also have rather few cross mods - so maybe part of reason that voltage is more difficult to do than digital.

Pitch envelope is common to filter and pitch - which limits severly. For effects only to use pitch basically - unless you have sustain at zero - you end up out of tune, and cannot go octave high either.

I have a lot to discover in Prologue still - just had it for 4 days.

Extended almost all slots with user oscillators - bought a couple too.
https://sellfy.com/soundmangling

He has good videos that shows what they do - so don't need to take a chance. And he doesn't charge that much $5-$7.

And those vpm stuff too - brings a lot as third oscillator.

The journey has started to see where Prologue takes me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Prologue All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: