Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
whelafam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 12:09 am    Post subject: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

Like many others I have been waiting for some news on KORG compliance with Catalina ... notably the USB-MIDI Driver. Below is my correspondence with the UK office. I thought some of the group might be interested.

Question: Looking for some feedback on when the KORG USB-MIDI Driver is expected to be updated. I need to update my iMac and this is holding me up. An estimated delivery date will be appreciated.

Response: There is no confirmed release date for a version of the KORG USB MIDI driver that is compatible with macOS Catalina. We expect it to be in the very near future we cannot confirm a date at this stage.

If you use your computer for making music, not only us but many other manufacturers and software developers in the music industry are recommending not upgrading your computer for some time in order to avoid a number of potential issues.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

we discussed this a few months back. Not surprised here
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

whelafam wrote:
I need to update my iMac and this is holding me up.

I'm always interested in this. Why do you "need" to update your iMac? What is your iMac not doing for you, that an upgrade to Catalina will fix?

Quite often, the latest Mac OS Update breaks a ton of software that people depend on, and then everybody is complaining about it.

Everybody seems to jump on the Apple upgrade wagon, must have newest OS, must have newest sh*t they told us we need... but seriously, why do you need to immediately upgrade to a new Mac OS? Just asking, friendly like. Smile

whelafam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:01 am    Post subject: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

"Need" is a bit overstated! I am (or was) in the technology field and as a rule we tried to stay somewhat current so I continue to follow that rule. Updates mostly allowed you to take advantage of newer products that required a certain level of software. That being said we generally stayed within a arms reach of the latest software and let others blaze the trail and knock off all the bugs. I added the need to my note to KORG to try to find out when they might be releasing the updates. Once they release I will probably wait a bit longer to update my driver and let others experience its effectiveness first. I have been a KORG KRONOS owner for only a few months so I definitely don't want anything to impede my learning progress.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

whelafam wrote:
"Need" is a bit overstated! I am (or was) in the technology field and as a rule we tried to stay somewhat current so I continue to follow that rule. Updates mostly allowed you to take advantage of newer products that required a certain level of software. That being said we generally stayed within a arms reach of the latest software and let others blaze the trail and knock off all the bugs. I added the need to my note to KORG to try to find out when they might be releasing the updates. Once they release I will probably wait a bit longer to update my driver and let others experience its effectiveness first. I have been a KORG KRONOS owner for only a few months so I definitely don't want anything to impede my learning progress.

I am not sold on chasing the future. I can wait for whatever benefit to tangibly arrive and be field tested. This saves time , from my experience.

There is a entire world to explore on Kronos without needing Catalina, etc.

And I recommend 2 computers. Have 1 for your work, tech stuff, games. etc etc.
Then dedicate music production to a second computer.

Sounds expensive but I think its a solid approach , long term.
SKung

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On my 2nd computer (Windows 7 32bit) I got many 32bit VST running and I don't intend to go for a 64bit OS. This has nothing do to with being 'modern' or not. I don't need more than 4GB RAM.

I've seen many artificial barriers aka 'incompatibilities' made by OS vendors but making a 64bit OS which refuses to run 32bit programs is the harshest I've seen so far.

As an Apple user I would continue using the old OS and look around for alternatives (dualboot system with windows and linux for example)
whelafam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 8:36 pm    Post subject: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

Well you are certainly entitled to your opinion on upgrades. There are a lot of folks still using their flip phones and don't like change. But change is what brings us the latest technologies. Without it we would be playing our upright pianos and recording to wax tubes. I like to stay current and hopefully we will continue to innovate. Good luck staying at 32 bit.... I assume you upgraded from 16 at some point. Happy Korging!
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are instances that update brings performance gains. The good example would be a recent update to Final Cut Pro ( https://barefeats.com/final-cut-pro-brucex-mojave-vs-catalina.html ).
And 64-bit apps benefit from more RAM. In audio/video apps, more RAM means more to the user.

Hopefully Korg update its software to 64-bit soon, and fix "broken" Kronos Editor !
whelafam

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 10:23 pm    Post subject: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

One last comment to my friends who don't seem to embrace software updates. I assume that they feel compelled to update their Korg Kronos which is at version 3.1.3. Enough said Smile
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Catalina & KORG USB-MIDI Driver Reply with quote

whelafam wrote:
One last comment to my friends who don't seem to embrace software updates. I assume that they feel compelled to update their Korg Kronos which is at version 3.1.3. Enough said Smile

no one size fits all. I do updates when it fits my music production goals. Thats the bottom line for me.

Also consider Kronos is + 8 years old.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2019 11:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bits matter ! , wider address registers, faster bus architecture, and function calls, better scalability.
Today’s CPU are 64-bit, and running 32-bit apps is an inefficient.
When Adobe released 64‑bit version of Creative Suite 5, Photoshop and the others has been seen to run 15 times faster on a 64‑bit OS.

32-bit is a PAST on 64-bit systems.
All users and developers should embrace it.
BobTheDog
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Bits matter ! , wider address registers, faster bus architecture, and function calls, better scalability.
When Adobe released 64‑bit version of Creative Suite 5, Photoshop and the others has been seen to run 15 times faster on a 64‑bit OS.

32 bit code running on a 64 bit processor uses the same bus and cache and in fact can run faster than 64 bit code. Vector/SIMD instructions can run twice as fast (twice the data processed in the same timespan) if the data size is half the size, you can also fit more in the cache.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BobTheDog wrote:
Poseidon wrote:

32 bit code running on a 64 bit processor uses the same bus and cache and in fact can run faster than 64 bit code. Vector/SIMD instructions can run twice as fast (twice the data processed in the same timespan) if the data size is half the size, you can also fit more in the cache.

64-bit architecture double the amount of data a CPU can process per clock cycle.

In 2017 at Worldwide Developers Conference, Apple informed developers that macOS High Sierra would be the last version of macOS to run 32-bit apps without compromise.

In Windows OS, 32-bit apps on 64-bit OS, have to be run through WoW64 subsystem ( emulation ).

From Wikipedia:

This emulation is a much more computationally expensive task than the Wow64win.dll's functions on the x86-64 architecture, which switches the processor hardware from its 64-bit mode to compatibility mode when it becomes necessary to execute a 32-bit thread, and then handles the switch back to 64-bit mode.
stevewahl

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apart from all else mentioned, if at some time your computer dies and you need to buy a new one, you may not have the option of running an older OS any longer.
Sweat

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stevewahl wrote:
Apart from all else mentioned, if at some time your computer dies and you need to buy a new one, you may not have the option of running an older OS any longer.

My 2010 iMac (HighSierra) got fried in a lightning storm last year. (Thankfully I had backed up!) Found another one just like it on facetube marketplace in excellent cond. Was running again in a day! Saved tons of $$ and can still run the Korg drivers with my DAW.
My wife has Catalina on her MacBook for the latest in organizing our photos and watching her videos.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: