Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Kronos 2 Motherboard issue. Scary!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eeshan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 10:53 am    Post subject: Kronos 2 Motherboard issue. Scary! Reply with quote

I don't even hope this issue should happen to anyone. i have a few questions, hoping y'all could help.

I have a K2-61. Beautiful keyboard, the best i find till date regardless of issues.

-Past few weeks, i would get the "A problem has been detected which may have caused by cycling power too quickly...' error.

Solution?
Well i bought a UPS with surge protector and AVR.

Result?
this problem cam back after 3 hours for the first time and 1 hour after the 2nd time.

Now some say this could be PSU issue and then there are some who say it could be a motherboard issue.

Now motherboard issue is scary. My biggest fear is i don't want to lose my sounds, patches, libraries . Yes i do have back-ups, but still

i guess I'm just scared in general (as Kronos is such an expensive instrument) which is why I'm writing this, just in case anyone of you has witness something similar please do share your experience, solution etc

thanks
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:23 am    Post subject: Re: Kronos 2 Motherboard issue. Scary! Reply with quote

Eeshan wrote:
I don't even hope this issue should happen to anyone. i have a few questions, hoping y'all could help.

I have a K2-61. Beautiful keyboard, the best i find till date regardless of issues.

-Past few weeks, i would get the "A problem has been detected which may have caused by cycling power too quickly...' error.

Solution?
Well i bought a UPS with surge protector and AVR.

Result?
this problem cam back after 3 hours for the first time and 1 hour after the 2nd time.

Now some say this could be PSU issue and then there are some who say it could be a motherboard issue.

Now motherboard issue is scary. My biggest fear is i don't want to lose my sounds, patches, libraries . Yes i do have back-ups, but still

i guess I'm just scared in general (as Kronos is such an expensive instrument) which is why I'm writing this, just in case anyone of you has witness something similar please do share your experience, solution etc

thanks

Many people can speak about many different reasons but you won't be ever sure.
In my opinion, the only thing to do is to bring your Kronos to a certified Korg repair service.
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Troubleshoot by an elimination process, rather than searching for the source of a problem.
Each case can be different, and one’s experience does not mean that will apply to your case.

There is a service manual that tells you how to run diagnostics of your Kronos ( link -> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1249042/Korg-Kronos-61.html ). if you don’t feel confident enough to do so, find someone to help you.

What UPS did you buy ?
Eeshan

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Poseidon wrote:
Troubleshoot by an elimination process, rather than searching for the source of a problem.
Each case can be different, and one’s experience does not mean that will apply to your case.

There is a service manual that tells you how to run diagnostics of your Kronos ( link -> https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1249042/Korg-Kronos-61.html ). if you don’t feel confident enough to do so, find someone to help you.

What UPS did you buy ?

i bought the APC 600VA/360W UPS and only the kronos is connected to this. none of my other boards
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"A problem has been detected ..." pop up message with a UPS connected to Kronos can usually be a result of :
- 80% of SSD corrupted system files or malfunction of SSD or SSD connection sata cables.
- 19% of DRam modules that are loose and need to be re-seated or defected
- 1% of main board malfunction (never have seen)
- 0% of PSU issue
PSU malfunction leads only to sudden Kronos shut off with no messages ...

Hope this helps

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Poseidon

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eeshan wrote:
i bought the APC 600VA/360W UPS and only the kronos is connected to this. none of my other boards

You only stated the specs.

Just in case - Avoid APC RS 500. They break down and are unstable. See for yourself a pic that I've just made seconds ago https://i.postimg.cc/rwhhxDVz/apcs.jpg. One has been already repaired, and the 2nd still broken. They are not mine, and I repaired over 20 of them in recent months.
It’s not a virus, a poor design.

Run diagnostics ( mention in manual above) to check the fans, next check a power supply.
Do you have same symptoms without UPS ?
NormC

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A UPS is great protection but it will not fix a pre-existing condition.
Xenophile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my case, my K2-61 was still under extended warranty... Just under 2 years old. I started getting that message intermittently, regardless of whether I was using a UPS or not.

The local authorized Korg service shop eventually reproduced the problem, and then replaced both the motherboard and the power supply... All the work was covered by warranty.

My Kronos has been rock-solid since I got it back 4 or 5 months ago.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 17, 2019 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xenophile wrote:

The local authorized Korg service shop eventually reproduced the problem, and then replaced both the motherboard and the power supply... All the work was covered by warranty.

My Kronos has been rock-solid since I got it back 4 or 5 months ago.

good for you. An expensive repair , if out of warranty.

Given the bunch of posts about defective K's, I still wonder the root cause of these common defects.

I am assuming owners did not drop the K's off a truck or down 2 flights of stairs.

Is it crappy components with a higher than average defect rate ? Or is it shoddy assembly by Korg assembly factory ?
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I’m sorry you’re having problems with your Kronos. But the Kronos requiring a UPS is a myth that has become folklore around here. It’s a misconception that needs to die.

By all means, if you want to avoid long boot times, get a UPS, but it will not resolve issues like this.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting an UPS is an absolute necessity for all kind of computing units, so for the Kronos.
Not everyone has the chance to live in a zone where a very good and stable electric power is delivered.

But the only goal of getting a UPS is to avoid numbers of problems, not to solve anything, of course.

UPS is like an insurance policy : you never need it until you need it once !

In my company, we have at least 2 or 3 power breakdown each month. When it occurs, a big power generator takes the lead, in less than one second. But all the computers not connected on the protected power network (kind of big UPS) roughly shut down, causing sometimes severe damages to some PC.

Such a situation can occurs with Kronos, espcially on stage. So, my advice is "buy an UPS for your Kronos. That will never solve anything and it won't avoid all the issues of the world, but it will protect your Kronos from many of them." It is not a so big investment, and it worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: