Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I need to replace a broken key, is it difficult?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gaston

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derek Cook wrote:
I can't speak for the Kronos, yet, but have replaced keys several times on Yamaha series synths.

Replacing the key is usually the easy bit. The hardest part is usually the disassembly to get to the keybed. Shocked

In general, if you can take things apart and get them back together without having too many bits or screws left over Shocked then you can replace a key on a keyboard. Smile

My guide for the key repair on the mighty SY99 is given below to give you a general idea of what might be involved (with the disclaimer that the Kronos could be completely different! Wink ).

http://www.xfactory-librarians.co.uk/Downloads/Yamaha_SY99_Keyboard_Repair_Procedure.pdf

Thank you for the tips and yes you're exactly right. I got to the point of having to remove the keybed and it seemed out of my experience. Fortunately there's a proficient Korg technician nearby who's gonna replace it for me next week. I definitely feel better about it. I'll let you know how it comes out and thanks again for the suggestions.
Niarf

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello,

Remove all screws under the Kronos

Remove the stripes that relies the keybed on the electronic boards

Take care about metallic grey pieces, it's sharp !

Put the keybed upside down, pull the key that is broken slightly, it will move about 1 or 2 millimeters, it will click.

Remove it from the keybed, by taking care of the fixations. Replace it and make it click by pushing on it forward.

Rewire the stripes and close the bottom panel, done !
Ableton Push
Where's my Kronos ?
Gaston

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Niarf wrote:
Hello,

Remove all screws under the Kronos

Remove the stripes that relies the keybed on the electronic boards

Take care about metallic grey pieces, it's sharp !

Put the keybed upside down, pull the key that is broken slightly, it will move about 1 or 2 millimeters, it will click.

Remove it from the keybed, by taking care of the fixations. Replace it and make it click by pushing on it forward.

Rewire the stripes and close the bottom panel, done !

Perfect Niarf! I'm printing this and will do this... Thank you so much for sharing...
ErnstDabest

PostPosted: Thu Oct 22, 2015 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gaston wrote:

Interesting idea. So like I could tune they B key to C pitch, then tune the Bb key to play the B pitch, then the A key to play Bb...

Yes, you could.
but I wouldn't recommend doing so many changes to a scale all at once it's really like using a capo on a guitar strings
too many capos would extremely limit you -- you then would have to play all the songs tranpose to the same rootkey

Gaston wrote:

then take it the whole way down the keybed? Cool idea! I'll call it jazz! LOL

It doesn't have to be the whole keybed, just an adjacent note where the 'broken key' is..
If you alter the whole keybed things would get real messy..but,..like i said the suggestion was only a temporary workaround.
mariohardleft99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Pro-tip: At least on the Kronos 61, you don't need to take anything apart to replace a key. Just press down (reasonably hard) at the end of the key closest to the pivot point to push the spring down and slide it forward and out. Installation the new key is just the reverse. If it's a black key, you need to remove the two surrounding white keys first.

I'm certain that this will not be applicable to the Kronos 73 or 88, but I've replaced numerous scratched keys on my Kronos 61 using this method.

Zombie thread alert!

I've followed the above instructions and managed to remove the broken key. However, I'm not sure how to replace it using these instructions, because the spring stands too high for the key to clear it. How do you keep the spring held down so that the key can go over it (clear it)? Thanks!
mariohardleft99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:
Pro-tip: At least on the Kronos 61, you don't need to take anything apart to replace a key. Just press down (reasonably hard) at the end of the key closest to the pivot point to push the spring down and slide it forward and out. Installation the new key is just the reverse. If it's a black key, you need to remove the two surrounding white keys first.

I'm certain that this will not be applicable to the Kronos 73 or 88, but I've replaced numerous scratched keys on my Kronos 61 using this method.

Zombie thread alert!

I've followed the above instructions and managed to remove the broken key. However, I'm not sure how to replace it using these instructions, because the spring stands too high for the key to clear it. How do you keep the spring held down so that the key can go over it (clear it)? Thanks!
mariohardleft99

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2018 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, that was easy enough....For anyone who's interested or may come across this thread later, the answer is that I used a thin metal piece (anything would work, really....even an unwound paper clip) to hold down the spring long enough to get it underneath the key. Then I slid the key into place.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2018 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you were able to get it to work.
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
DeanAivaliotis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SeedyLee wrote:

Hi SeedyLee, removing the key was a breeze as you said but do you have any tips on reattaching the key to the spring without taking out the keybed?
Thanks!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 8:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends which Kronos model you have.
DeanAivaliotis

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Depends which Kronos model you have.

Sorry, should've specified that I have the 61 key 1st generation version.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: