Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Keybed comparison: PA4X vs PA1000

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:46 pm    Post subject: Keybed comparison: PA4X vs PA1000 Reply with quote

Absolutely love my new PA1000 EXCEPT FOR the keybed. I have to have extra strong hands to play near the fall board, the first 60-70% of the keys feel great, but as I approach the fall board, it takes more energy/effort to push down.

On almost the entire board, I'd give a 9 or 10 out of 10 for everything, but a 6/10 for the keybed. So how does the PA4X feel?
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Keybed comparison: PA4X vs PA1000 Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
Absolutely love my new PA1000 EXCEPT FOR the keybed. I have to have extra strong hands to play near the fall board, the first 60-70% of the keys feel great, but as I approach the fall board, it takes more energy/effort to push down.

On almost the entire board, I'd give a 9 or 10 out of 10 for everything, but a 6/10 for the keybed. So how does the PA4X feel?

I have both keyboards. I prefer personally the keybed of Pa4x for playing,
much better, not comparable with Pa1000 keybed.
But I like lightweight of Pa1000 for transport and small size gigs.
korg1
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i sat on a Grand Piano,and it's keys seemed to be shorter than my pa4x's ,like a children's toy.
Of course they are almost the same in length,but on pa4x you can see more of them.
I just wish they were semi-weight or even graded hammer action,but still it's a 10/10 .

https://pasongstyles.com/
https://soundcloud.com/korgfx
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, that's what I figured, for that kind of money the PA4X is going to have a great keybed.

Supposedly the PA1000 has a better keybed than the PA700, but I don't know if that's just in reference to the fact that the PA1000 has aftertouch.

The keybed on my Korg M3 was really good, but in my experience most of the keybeds from Korg in the under $1,000 range are pretty s**t.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
Yeah, that's what I figured, for that kind of money the PA4X is going to have a great keybed.

Supposedly the PA1000 has a better keybed than the PA700, but I don't know if that's just in reference to the fact that the PA1000 has aftertouch.

The keybed on my Korg M3 was really good, but in my experience most of the keybeds from Korg in the under $1,000 range are pretty s**t.

I am pretty sure that the keybeds on the PA700 and the PA1000 are different keybeds. I know that sounds a bit shallow and obvious, but with the PA1000 having aftertouch, it would be a different keybed. I am sure that it is more robust than the PA700 keybed.

I find that the keybed on my PA700 is just fine, if a bit light. It is a basic velocity only keybed.

The action on the PA700 reminds me of the keybeds on my M50 and Kross, to be honest. I also have an Ensoniq VFX and VFX-SD and they both have semi-weighted keybeds with aftertouch (polyphonic aftertouch, at that Very Happy ). They are markedly different than the others (of course) and since both my VFX and VFX-SD are 30 years old, the actions on those two are well broken in.

The best action I have is on my Lowrey EZP3 (a Kawai, basically) but since it is fully weighted and feels like a grand piano, it is not comparable to the synth-weighted or semi-weighted actions of the others.

There are times where I play pretty heavy, but there is no fatigue on the keybed. I am not afraid of breaking any of the keys or anything, either.

Since I do not have access to the PA1000 or PA4X here in my area, I cannot compare them for my playing.

As a pianist first, my main concern is continually playing a semi-weighted or synth-action keybed and finding that my hands/fingers get a bit lazy/weak when playing a weighted keybed or an acoustic piano. That is why I am glad that I have the Lowrey slab piano to help keep my finger strength in check. I find it an absolute joy to play a weighted keybed after playing the synth ones. It actually increases the strength in which I play the synth keybeds...

With that said, choosing portability over a weighted keybed is preferred if you have A LOT of gigs every day...

I generally do not play close to the fall board, as you do. I play about halfway down the key to the bottom of the key. Since I do not have aftertouch on my PA700, I do not need to press harder down on the bottom of the keys for anything.

I am glad that you are enjoying your PA1000 Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: