Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Y my saved Style isn't calling up the UserStyle it's based o

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:36 am    Post subject: Y my saved Style isn't calling up the UserStyle it's based o Reply with quote

This is driving me nuts. For awhile I was beating my head, not knowing where I could save changes to Styles. Of course I finally figured it out, the Style has to be coming from the User area in order for the Write Current Style Settings (WCSS) to appear in the pop down menu. Which doesn't make sense, if you were making changes to a Factory Style, you'd want to be able to save them as a User Style. I don't see that option anywhere.

So.... I've been using the panel buttons to access the 9 Songs in the SetList. I choose a song and then start adjusting the volumes and whatnot to make everything to my liking, Keyboard Sets included.

But, even if I start with choosing a User Style, make changes and then save changes I've made to the Style- the next time I use the SetList buttons and call that song back up, it's referencing the FACTORY Style. It's been pretty maddening, I'm obviously missing some basic SOP.

I am finding the relationships confusing between
Sounds
KeySets
Styles
Main Page controlled by Keysets and the
(Track select) Main Page controlling Style parameters like Drums/Perc/Bs/Acc 1-5

Thanks,
Randy

Last edited by Randelph on Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:10 am; edited 1 time in total
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Styles are protected by default, so whilst you can save a Style to a user area you cannot make changes to it.

You will find the lock menu in Global.

If you watch the Korg Video Manual tutorial on Songbook that will help you,

I do not save Styles to a user area I save a Style as a Song, then make the changes and after each change save it back to the Song. Once you do this that load the song and play as everything is set up exactly how you want that song to sound

Tip
Set up a Direct folder on your USB drive and save your songs there, it keeps the internal memory free and means you can transport your songs with you to another Pa.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Biggles wrote:
Styles are protected by default, so whilst you can save a Style to a user area you cannot make changes to it.

You will find the lock menu in Global.

If you watch the Korg Video Manual tutorial on Songbook that will help you,

I do not save Styles to a user area I save a Style as a Song, then make the changes and after each change save it back to the Song. Once you do this that load the song and play as everything is set up exactly how you want that song to sound

Tip
Set up a Direct folder on your USB drive and save your songs there, it keeps the internal memory free and means you can transport your songs with you to another Pa.

Biggles,
Thank you!

OK, so I watched, again, the Songbook video manual. Have to ride the rewind button alot, he covers alot of ground quickly.

So, there's no way to save changes to Styles? What about the pop down menu from the Style Play Main page: Write Current Style Settings?

I wouldn't necessarily want to have a Song for every Style I want to make changes to. The way my mind works, FIRST I compile all my favorite Styles in the User Style banks, then I work at making those Styles the way I want them. THEN I choose them when looking for the best accompaniment for a given Song that I want to match with a Style.

But I'm a newbie, and perhaps what you're doing by working exclusively with Styles FROM WITHIN Songs makes more sense for how this board is internally structured. By the way, if I did find a Style I really liked, how do I go about creating a new Song from it?

I looked on the Global page, and the only reference to locks I found was Global: General Controls: Lock, and the options have nothing to do with Styles per se.

Thanks again for your help, seems this part of the forum is pretty sleepy.

Randy

Last edited by Randelph on Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Global > General > Lock

On the right of this screen there are three Tabs

One is labelled Style

Tap on it and you will see what Locks are in place for each element of a Style.

But

Before you unlock and start tapping away if you take my advice you will:-

1 create a Backup

2 Create a Save All file
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.... I didn't notice those 3 tabs on the right!

So... you said you work with Songs and by saving a Song you're saving changes made to the Style and KeyboardSets. Do you rename the Song so the original exists as well? Put any kind of sign to let you know at a glance that you've altered this Song and made it your own? Is there a way of grouping your worked on Songs so that comes at the head of the list in the Songbook?

For example, putting a ~ at the beginning of a title of a Song so that that saved Song is shown first when the Name is chosen for sorting your Songbook-?

With so many different approaches possible for working with and organizing this board, I'm looking for a system that hopefully I'll be able to keep. It's alot more work to re-organize my whole way of working the board some months down the road when I've finally understood the options.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Song exists in the Songbook either because one was there thanks to Korg or if I have previously saved the song before then I simply add a suffix to the title. This way multiple versions of the same song are kept together in the listing.

Additionally for all the styles that I have saved as a Song in the Artist Cell I put my initials, that way I can use the sort by column function to get all my Songs displayed together.

Now when I had a good number of songs that I have added I then created a Setlist and named it My Repertoire and all songs with my initials in the Artist column now reside in this setlist, I also created other setlists and placed the songs applicable to the title of the setlist within said setlist ie 60’s, Blues, Big Band. Songs of course can be placed in multiple Setlists, change one element of the original Song and the changes apply within the Setlist which is basically only a database.

The source Style for a Song can either be a factory default or a user Style.

A couple of words of warning, if you make use of the free Korg Bonusware styles when you install them as a batch some automatically install to user bank 1 location 1 so do take care that it does not overwrite your own user Style.

Before you get to far with your own Style creation can I suggest that you download Osimo for your Pa, extract it to a root folder on your USB memory stick. With it in your Pa power it up and then Media > Load navigate to the Osimo folder and click on Select.

You will now have the Korg UK freebie Osimo songbook which has over a hundred Songs with each being created on a specific style or even on a scratch Style, Setlists are included. These Songs will show up in the main Songbook with a border to signify that they reside on external memory.

Osimo songs will give you a very good idea of what your Pa is capable of and yes you can use them as you want.

Finally

Are you aware of the Korg Webinars?
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bit by bit! Biggles, thanks for all your help and encouragement!

I took your advice tonight and worked off the Songbook Set list. Going thru the first 9 of the Factory Set List Songs, Pop, I worked a little bit on all 9 to get basic volumes and a few keysets re-assigned, and then saved to the Song. Very enjoyable way of working!

I kept on having this re-curring problem though where I'd go in the middle of the Style Main Page, KBD, and normally that takes me to Key Sets, Factory and User. But there's been a number of them, usually with generic names like Piano and Electric Piano, not specific like most of the Key Set names. They are nowhere to be found in the Factory and User Key Sets, so I have no idea where that Key Set is residing. I end up just choosing a Factory or User KeySet and then saving that to the Song.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over on a non Korg specific firum I have been trying to help a guy get to grips with his new PA.

So here is war and piece on a few functions and how I deal with using my PA. there are no doubt other ways of achieving the same thing but these work for me.

They are in three separate sections that you may wish to copy and paste to a Word doc
I will use this thread to copy and paste info about various PA functions with this post being about how to change the four default keyboard sets that there are in a Specific Style and those other instrument voices in Up1, Up2 and Low.

Do a full System Backup then proceed as follows:-

Styles are protected, tap down arrow in top right of your PA screen to see the greyed out options.

To unprotect you need to press and hold Shift, then press Style.

Click on Media tab onscreen then unprotect Media, Global and Factory.

Press exit to get back to Style Play screen.

Tap down arrow in top right and you will see what was greyed out is now editable, press Exit to clear the drop down menu off screen.

Tap Keyboard on screen, select what you want as the instrument voice.

(1) Then from drop down select Write Kbd Set to Style, making sure the instrument name is correct (if not correct it by tapping on the T and naming it what you want) and making sure it is going to be saved in position 01.

(2) If you also want to change the instrument voices in Up1, Up2 and Low, tap on each in turn, select the instrument voice you want then select Write Current Style Settings.

Repeat (1) & (2) for the three other positions, making sure that they are saved in positions 02, 03 & 04 respectively, then when this is completed from drop down menu select Write Current Style Settings.

In Style mode select a different Style, play something then go back and select the Style you just edited and all should be OK.

Now go back into the Lock screen and check the protection boxes.
Korg PA’s have a feature to save to a specific folder and to load and run the features from said folder, this is called Direct access.

EG
To save a customised Style as a Song during the write process the option is to save to Internal or to the Direct folder.

To set up a Direct access folder follow procedure as following:-

On a PC create a folder on your USB drive that you want to use as the Direct folder, I keep mine simple and called my folder Direct.set (including the .set in the name), eject USB correctly (use the eject routine rather than simply pulling it out) and inset it into your PA.

Now press and hold Shift then Press Media button.

Onscreen there should be a Media tab, press it.

On screen there is the legend Direct Folder.

Press Browse then navigate to your new folder you want to use, click on Select etc and you are good to go.

Now if you want to save Songs to this folder you can and once you have saved to it each Song saved there will have a border around it to show that it is saved to the Direct folder (when you are in Songbook mode that is).
With the Korg PA Arrangers there is a great resource at the UK based site Korg Worid dot Co dot UK where there are Osimo versions for each of the 700, 1000 and 4X keyboards.

The Osimo plug in gives additional Songbook entries each of which has been customized by Korg UK staffers.

Osimo runs from the USB stick and is not loaded into the inbuilt memory.

In total there are c850 Songs available over the three versions.

So I set about combining all three versions into one, which in itself has taken me two hours of copying and pasting so I thought that I would share the actions that I have undertaken with fellow PA owners who may be interested in doing the same.

Since my own PA is the one at the bottom of the rung I expected issues since my own PA does not have the full range of instrument voices and available Styles that the 1000 and especially the 4X does.

I downloaded each Osimo Zip file from Korgworld and extracted each to a folder named Korg. Inside this folder I created a folder called OsimoAll_v1.set (do note you have to include .set in the name).

Within Korg's own software Songbook Editor, I loaded the Osimo .set folder contents for the 4X version into the software.

I then opened a second window of Songbook Editor and loaded the Osimo .set folder contents for the 1000 version of the software.

Contrary to what you might think simply copying and pasting the listed Songs is not the way to go, the way to go is via the Setlists.

Compare each of the Setlists shown in the two open windows and in the one containing the 4X version of Osimo create a new Setlist(s) named to correspond to the open window version containing the 1000 version Setlists.

So now the window containing the 4X version should have all its own Setlists plus empty Setlists from the 1000 version where there are different to those in the 4X version.

It is a case of selecting each of the Setlist entries via Select All and dragging them to the correct Setlist folder in the 4X Osimo Window.

A pop up window now asks to Overwrite existing, Retain existing or rename for the first entry Select Retain existing, the pop up window then comes on screen for the next entry where again select Retain, repeat this until all Setlist entries have been copied.

Repeat this for each of the Setlists shown in the 4X.

At this point DO NOT save the modified 4X Songbook since all the additional Songs will show Red in the main window to signify that they have not yet been saved, this is useful later.

Now it is time to open another Songbook Window but this time for the 700 version of Osimo, the same procedure to Setlist(s) is followed, create new empty Setlists in the 4X window where there are different named Setlists in the 700 Window.

It is now a case of going through each Setlist in the 4X Window and copying and pasting the Setlist entries from the 700 version of Osimo to the corresponding Setlist in the 4X version.

Now for the BUT, this time on each occasion the pop up window shows select Retain, repeat process in each Setlist until they are all copied.

The Retain process is so that the Styles etc of the 700 are retained and not replaced by possible slightly different Styles that might have been used in the 4X or 1000 versions.

Now there is a lot of Red entries and it is a case of starting at the top of the Alphabetically sorted list and deleting any duplicates that you may have created, taking note that there are occurences where different artists and different Genres have been used, where this is the case retain the duplicate.

Now it is a case of saving the 4X file into the OsimoAll_v1.set folder via the Save As command.

Copy this folder onto a USB stick formatted in your PA and insert the USB drive into your PA and then load the OsimoAll_v1,set folder contents via Media > Load, navigate to said folder and select Load.

Now it is a case of going through each Setlist and each of the entries to play the Song and note any errors which in my own case has been Style Not Found. You can then modify the offending Song in Songbook editor by selecting a Style that is on your PA.

NOTE
You will need to modify the procedure depending upon your PA, If you have a 4X then at the pop up window for each you select Retain. If you have a 1000 you load the 700 version and select Retain at eah of the pop up windows, then when you copy and paste the 1000 entries you select Retain for each pop up instance.

Anyway for me enough is enough, time to play.
taichi

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Randelph for starting this post and a massive thanks to Biggles for responding.

Biggles you are a star. At last our “average” members have something to relate to. We can all “understand” what you are saying. Basics, that is what we want and that is what you are giving us.

This is just what we need, some basic stuff for us all to build on.

Well done Biggles.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've outdone yourself, you're a good technical writer, was able to easily follow what you wrote!

It seems odd that once you unprotect Styles that when you go to save a Style, they don't give you a choice of where to save it- more often than not, I'd want a Style that I worked on to be in the User Styles. It's like having a Favorites folder, but they don't even give you that option of where to save it. I can of course save a copy to the User folder using Copy and Paste.

Speaking of which, I was hoping to use Copy and Paste to save entries in a Set List to a different Set List, but instead it's a whole rigamarole. Oh well.

In one of my questions above I asked about having a generic name, like Piano or Electric Piano, showing up as a Keyboard Set, and then not finding it anywhere in the Factory or User Keyboard Sets. Any insight on that? This is not a burning question like many of them have been.

I'm probably weeks, if not a month away from being able to take advantage of the Osimo Songs you've been talking about. Haven't heard and played most of the existing Songs yet as I build up my Set List with Favorites, AND, I haven't come close to having the basics down. I LOVE this board but am finding it to be convoluted!!! Good thing I'm working on it every day. At some point I'll probably write some tutorials myself.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2019 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks for you kind comments.

In my War and Peace text I wrote about setting up the Direct access folder.

To me this is the key to Style and file management, create a folder on your USB and call it DIRECT. Shift + Media will then bring up the screen where you can select the Direct Folder. Go ahead and select it then you when you write the Style as a song in the lower half of the Write Song screen is the option Internal or Direct, select Direct. Then it saves to the USB thus keeping the internal memory free for more useful storage.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's kinda silly to bury so many questions in a long, winding thread, but we seem to be having a dialogue so I'll continue! By the way, where is everybody?

Tonight I think I finally did it. I renamed a Style and called it - Piano -

Then I saved 4 keyboard sets that were all piano based to the Style called - Piano-

Then I did the same thing with other instruments.

The long and short of it is I have a basic idea of how to do what I want, but it's very tedious and next time I'll hook up my notebook and see if that makes things clearer and faster! This instrument really forces you to do things one way, which is to work with Songs.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 18, 2019 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
It's kinda silly to bury so many questions in a long, winding thread, but we seem to be having a dialogue so I'll continue! By the way, where is everybody?

Tonight I think I finally did it. I renamed a Style and called it - Piano -

Then I saved 4 keyboard sets that were all piano based to the Style called - Piano-

Then I did the same thing with other instruments.

The long and short of it is I have a basic idea of how to do what I want, but it's very tedious and next time I'll hook up my notebook and see if that makes things clearer and faster! This instrument really forces you to do things one way, which is to work with Songs.

You got it!

There is another way of working but it may be better if you continue the way advised.

To use your Computer and the Songbook Editor will take a bit of time, do watch the SE tutorial which is the long version that goes into far more detail than the short form tutorial that is part of the Video Manual series for your 1000.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=TpMfOe0qUXo

Finally a reminder to Backup and Save All before you start working on any inbuilt data.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: