Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Loading EX 1,2 and 3 sounds - memory stick

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wombat

PostPosted: Wed Oct 09, 2019 4:18 pm    Post subject: Loading EX 1,2 and 3 sounds - memory stick Reply with quote

I just bought an old M3M expanded on eBay which did not come with a memory stick with the EX sounds, you know Brass and Woodwinds and all that. I had one years ago and rather liked those sounds.

I can't for the life of me get these sounds from the Korg website. My Mac just won't open them. Exactly why I have no idea.

So, is there any kind soul who could lend me a memory stick with the EX 1,2 and 3 sounds so I can get started. I promise to meet all postage costs. Please feel free to pm me. I live in London, England.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get this sorted yet? And if not... are you having trouble extracting the files from the zip file or is something else? Because I was thinking that what I can do is post up the individual extracted files, which you should be able to download to your Mac and copy to a drive.

Also, once you get do get the files from one method or another, one thing you can consider doing is copying them directly onto the internal SD card within the M3, assuming the SD card is big enough to hold them all. That's what I did years ago so I wouldn't need to use a USB drive for those samples. I thought there was a way to access the SD card via USB without opening up the M3 module -- I'd have to check, as it's been quite a long time since I did this...
Wombat

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for posting - I've had some very helpful information from a forum member in the States who has given me some valuable insights.

fact is however, I still cannot extract the files from the zip file; they are in something called KEP format and I can't find any application that will open them.

Now if you could post up the extracted files for me to download, I think that should be the answer to my problem.

Thanks for the tip about the SD card too.

Most grateful.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is necessary to read the HowToUpgrade_E1.pdf file for the upgrade procedure. The KEP files, amongst others, have to be copied as they are, and not opened, to the memory stick that will be used for the upgrade process. The M3 module will "know" what to do with these files during the upgrade process. The memory stick should have on it only the following for the upgrade:

M3SYS (folder)
M3EXPSYS (folder)
EXPCM01.KEP
EXPCM02.KEP
EXPCM03.KEP

HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There are no applications that will open KEP files. They are Korg's proprietary sample files and they can only be used within the keyboard itself.

So I've uploaded the three KEPs here, plus the last one Korg made, which is the electric pianos one: https://volafile.org/r/11wnvwuyc

I haven't uploaded everything that is in the zip file because you say you bought the expanded version, so I presume everything is properly updated. What I'm not sure about is whether you need the PCG files as well, which are the programs and combis. I haven't uploaded those because they aren't in my zip file and I think I'd have to create a special PCG for them unless I can find them elsewhere .... so only the KEPs for now. Let me know how you get on.

Oh, there is a way to access the SD card via USB. With the M3 turned off, press and hold the LOCATE and the 0 button together and then turn on the M3 while holding those buttons down. That should make the SD card show up on your computer, and then it's just a matter of copying them over if there is space.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
It is necessary to read the HowToUpgrade_E1.pdf file for the upgrade procedure. The KEP files, amongst others, have to be copied as they are, and not opened, to the memory stick that will be used for the upgrade process. The M3 module will "know" what to do with these files during the upgrade process. The memory stick should have on it only the following for the upgrade:

M3SYS (folder)
M3EXPSYS (folder)
EXPCM01.KEP
EXPCM02.KEP
EXPCM03.KEP

The OP said they bought an Expanded M3, so it should have been upgraded already and all that is missing is the KEP files. Of course, that doesn't mean it actually is upgraded...
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed.

The EXPCM04.KEP file comes with a voice name list (mostly in Japanese) and a PCG file, when it is downloaded from here, which may help:

https://www.korg.com/us/support/download/software/1/140/1407/

Wombat

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many thanks to you both for taking the time over this.

However, I'm still no further forward.

I think I have an upgraded version; when I power it up, it says Xpanded and version v.2.0.0. Anyway, to be sure, I looked at the M3 Xpanded upgrade guide and tried to copy the folders onto the USB, but no joy there; cant figure out how to do it.

HardSync, thanks for uploading the KEP files but I hit a wall there too. I took voip's advice and tried to copy the file as is, without opening the individual downloads. Sadly, the M3 does not seem to recognise.
HardSync
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... hmm. You do have an upgraded M3, but the latest OS is version 2.04. Apart from your original request to have someone post a USB drive to you, I'm not sure how to help you because I don't know where the problem lies, and I'm unfamiliar with Macs and how they handle files, as well as what you are or are not seeing happen when you try to copy files. I suppose I'd recommend reading and following the instructions in this article (pretty much the same as the instructions VOIP posted, but worded differently) and see if there's a step you're missing: http://karma-lab.wikidot.com/korg-m3:upgrading-to-latest-os-and-other-firmware
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg M3 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: