Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Can the Pa700 play Wav files?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
eliasdotis

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:09 pm    Post subject: Can the Pa700 play Wav files? Reply with quote

I have a performance where one song has a backing tracks and I want to know if the Korg Pa700 can play a wav file? Thanks
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MP3 and KAR are supported formats for playing songs recorded on another device or downloaded.

The inbuilt recording is MP3

It will load and save WAV samples or at least that is what the manual says.

Last edited by Biggles on Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:06 am; edited 2 times in total
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 10:07 am    Post subject: Re: Can the Pa700 play Wav files? Reply with quote

eliasdotis wrote:
Korg Pa700 can play a wav file? Thanks

Yes ...

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that you should post yes Anthony.

My 700 does not see either 16 bit or 32 bit WAV files nor does it see a FLAC file.

Can you explain further?
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My reference is mainly for importing wav files , maybe you're right for reproducing it , I can't recall it for sure
owners know better , try a standard 16B Wav and let eliasdotis know !
It's easy to convert audio files to any format that Pa700 supports.

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To my knowledge, you cannot play back WAV audio files on the PA700, or, I believe, on any of the current PA series instruments from Korg.

I have tried to load a WAV file and the Korg PA700 cannot see it.

I believe that you can sample from WAV file, but that is a different use of a WAV file than what you are accomplishing.

The Korg PA series instruments read MP3 files, but can read an MP3 file all the way up to 320k resolution.

I have a Korg PA700 myself, and when I record MP3 files on the unit, I have the option of recording different qualities of MP3 files. The 320k option is labeled 'highest' in Korg-speak. That is what I set my recording option to.

I also have added a MicroSD card into the back of the unit (recently replaced my original 8gb card with a 16gb card) and it is full of MP3 files from my computer (because I also use the PA700 for djing at certain places).

This MP3 only limitation is something that I have wished Korg would address. To be fair, playing along with an MP3 file at 320k vs WAV is not going to make much of a difference in a live situation. One will not likely hear the difference between the two - although I understand the need, and the importance, of WAV files. They are integral in my recording studio Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony, I was hoping with your technical mastery that you had a workaround.

Since my previous I have ripped a CD track into different formats and bit rates, none of which are seen at all by my 700.

It is strange that a PA cannot read WAV yet the Kross 2 that I also have can read WAV files.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Playing back audio files in PaSeries is out of my interest , only importing them is important for my sound development.
Technically speaking , I don't understand the reason of not reading a pure Wav file in an Mp3 player app as in PaSeries but as
I've said you can easily convert them to a superior mp3 format if ever really need it.

Dawnbell

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
To my knowledge, you cannot play back WAV audio files on the PA700, or, I believe, on any of the current PA series instruments from Korg.

I believe that you can sample from WAV file, but that is a different use of a WAV file than what you are accomplishing.

The Korg PA series instruments read MP3 files, but can read an MP3 file all the way up to 320k resolution.

I have a Korg PA700 myself, and when I record MP3 files on the unit, I have the option of recording different qualities of MP3 files. The 320k option is labeled 'highest' in Korg-speak. That is what I set my recording option to.

I also have added a MicroSD card into the back of the unit (recently replaced my original 8gb card with a 16gb card) and it is full of MP3 files from my computer (because I also use the PA700 for djing at certain places).

This MP3 only limitation is something that I have wished Korg would address. To be fair, playing along with an MP3 file at 320k vs WAV is not going to make much of a difference in a live situation. One will not likely hear the difference between the two - although I understand the need, and the importance, of WAV files. They are integral in my recording studio Smile

Grace,
Harry

Harry,

Speaking of installing a MicroSD card, I was actually thinking about it. Is it safe to install any brand/type of MicroSD card? I read the user manual, it only warns about unplugging the instrument from AC, but doesn't say any specifics about the card itself. I want to be very cautious about what I install. Would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Self-taught keyboard newbie. Humbled and grateful for this forum. Korg PA700 + TC Helicon Perform-VK
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unplug your PA from the wall socket.

Unscrew the panel at the rear of the OA and there you will find the slot for the MicroSD card.

Insert the card ( I use one of 64Gb capacity ).

Replace the cover, plug in the power lead.

Turn on the PA and then use the utility to format the MicroSD card, making sure you do select it to format, and format it

If you also have a USB stick inserted it is a good idea to remove it before powering up the PA just to be sure you do not select that one to format.

When I did this I then removed the MicroSD card and copied everything on my USB memory stick to the MicroSD card then I reinserted it. Now all I use it for is ensuring it has all the same files including backups and save all’s etc as the USB stick.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 08, 2019 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dawnbell wrote:
Musicwithharry wrote:

Grace,
Harry

Harry,

Speaking of installing a MicroSD card, I was actually thinking about it. Is it safe to install any brand/type of MicroSD card? I read the user manual, it only warns about unplugging the instrument from AC, but doesn't say any specifics about the card itself. I want to be very cautious about what I install. Would appreciate your input. Thanks!

Biggles has done a wonderful job explaining how to install a MicroSD card in the PA700.

Since he is running a 64gb card in his, then I suppose you could go up to that amount. I do not have any MicroSD cards lying around that are a greater capacity than that in which to test. I have a 16gb card in mine and it works fine. I may have to upgrade to a 32gb in the future though and I suspect that it will work just fine.

I would make sure that the MicroSD that you choose be a pretty fast one, maybe a Class 10, to ensure that everything is good with it.

I know that with the Flash Drives (USB), a 512gb or 256gb will not work. I do know that a 64gb will work (and sizes smaller than that). 128gb may be the limit for these, but I have no confirmation from Korg in the manuals stating this.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: