Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Editing Sounds Via 'Track Controls' Sound Tab

View previous topic :: View next topic  
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 5:38 pm    Post subject: Editing Sounds Via 'Track Controls' Sound Tab Reply with quote

Today Ive found that you can edit sounds via the Track Controls Menu. Instead of going through the Sounds Menu. You can then save as a Keyboard Set.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing Sounds Via 'Track Controls' Sound Tab Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
... you can edit sounds via the Track Controls Menu. Instead of going through the Sounds Menu ...

Editing main sounds parameters in track controls are not part of the internal parameters of the Sounds that you can edit in Sound Edit mode. It is a quick editing of parameters, that are offset values referred to the value of the original Sounds, if these are already assigned to tracks.

Quick edit is not the same and no substitute with the sound editor for basic settings that are necessary for soundcreation (settings separated of the oscillators, the LFOs etc.).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing Sounds Via 'Track Controls' Sound Tab Reply with quote

posting doubled - sorry

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de

Last edited by siebenhirter on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:12 am; edited 2 times in total
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 8:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Editing Sounds Via 'Track Controls' Sound Tab Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
Today Ive found that you can edit sounds via the Track Controls Menu. Instead of going through the Sounds Menu. You can then save as a Keyboard Set.

You can indeed, but they are an abridged set of functions. You will need to go into Sound Mode for deep editing of a sound or to create a new sound.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes but if you want to adjust the cut off or release its another option.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
Yes but if you want to adjust the cut off or release its another option.

Indeed Smile

I use that Track Controls in Sequencer mode so I can make quick adjustments to rhythm guitar parts so they sound a bit more real. Sometimes, with MIDI files, the strumming is not quite right, but almost there. I usually add a bit of release to give the sounds a bit of sustain so they sound a bit more real.

It works well for my applications.

Additionally, you have the Edit Drum part in there as well and this allows you to customize each drum sound's pitch, EQ, ambience (rate and time), volume, etc... it is very helpful when trying to duplicate drum sounds in other songs.

I find the ability to adjust on such a specific level is another part of what makes the PA700 a monster to use in the studio and live.

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's curious how Korg has engineered the User Experience. Within StylePlay, the main page of StylePlay and all the Menu options for StylePlay- it's all a very fluid experience. You can play a song from the Set List, play along with 4 different keyboard sets, change the sounds and there are many many settings that can be saved to a keyboard set, and all this while still playing the rhythms and Styles and Upper 3 sounds.

But to get to the real, in-depth editing of the Sound, you've got to get out of these interactive modes and play one sound at a time. Probably a wise choice, there are so many things to do within Sound mode, so many freakin' osscilators to manage. But I do miss hearing the sounds in context, playing along with other sounds and rhythyms/styles.
NativeAngels
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know as people drift from keyboard to keyboard it's definitely worth spending time digging deeper into what you already have.

For example you've created your keyboard sets which you think sound great then you see a tutorial or find out how to do something which takes your sound to another level.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

NativeAngels wrote:
You know as people drift from keyboard to keyboard it's definitely worth spending time digging deeper into what you already have.

For example you've created your keyboard sets which you think sound great then you see a tutorial or find out how to do something which takes your sound to another level.

I think that people lose interest rather quickly in what they have, for a number of reasons:

1. Depth of programming and the user not willing to explore their purchases more thoroughly.
2. Instant gratification causing people to simply skim the top of what their purchases can really do.
3. Not really reading the manual to find out what the purchase can really do.
4. Trying to "keep up with the Jones' " and thinking that they need to newest, greatest thing.
5. The different companies always coming out with something new that makes the user think that the newer, better version would suit them better.
6. Not fully researching their purchases before purchasing them.

I love new gear. I would love to have everything new that every manufacturer comes out with (that would work for me). Alas, I cannot do this, as my funds are not that liquid and widely available. It causes me to learn about what I do have. There are a few synths in my studio that I have only scratched the surface of, and I have had them for some time.

Two pieces of gear come to mind: Alesis QSR and the ROland D-05. They are mainly single sound layering synths for me in my studio, but I know that they are capable of much more. Navigating on either one is a bit of a chore, and maybe that is why I do not get deep in those two. I have made sounds on the D-05 that suit what I need it for and have not had the need to really get deeper into it.

I also have 4 Ensoniq products in my studio. I love my VFX and VFX-SD. I have gotten into those very deeply, and still find timbres, even today, that still amaze me. The VFX-SD has a sequencer as well and so it has even more use for me. Both of these units were made in 1989. Just when I think I have them figured out, they surprise me and I get even deeper timbres out of them. The other Ensoniq units I have are SQ-R+/32 and are basically smaller rack versions of the VFX, so they are very easy to program for me.

My M50 and Kross 1 are very deep, but similar, so I can work around on those pretty well and get great stuff out of them. Even though the M50 came out in 2008 (I think), it is really deep as well and you can get some great stuff out of it. The same with the Kross, but programming the Kross is somewhat limiting because of the LCD screen.

Finally on my PA700, it just gets deeper and deeper. The more I spend time on it, the more I learn. I see the PA700, as I do all of my synths, as a long-term investment. I want to get everything out of it that I can. I am not interested in getting something else, unless the PA700 continually fails to do what I want it to do. This is not the case with the PA700 though. It is like having the M50 and Kross in another unit but with more features. It really sets the bar very high for me.

Would I consider another arranger? There are a couple that really interest me, but Korg has yet to make one of them. I would love to see a PA788 (patterned after the PA588). That would give me an 88-key keybed and sound system in-built with everything the PA700 does. I would certainly buy one of those if they ever became available. In fact, I could likely get rid of my current 88-key slab piano if Korg released something like a PA788.

I have also been interested in some of the Ketron products like the SD-9 or the Audya. Their stuff sounds great too.

With all of that said, the more I work on the PA700, the more I love it. It is my main instrument in bands and certainly in my nursing home ministry. It is also integral in my studio - so much so that I need to buy another PA700 and have two of them (for main uses in the studio and as a backup for the original PA700 if it ever fails and needs to be sent in for repair).

Just my $.02

Grace,
Harry
BR
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:

I think that people lose interest rather quickly in what they have, for a number of reasons:

1. Depth of programming and the user not willing to explore their purchases more thoroughly.
2. Instant gratification causing people to simply skim the top of what their purchases can really do.
3. Not really reading the manual to find out what the purchase can really do.
4. Trying to "keep up with the Jones' " and thinking that they need to newest, greatest thing.
5. The different companies always coming out with something new that makes the user think that the newer, better version would suit them better.
6. Not fully researching their purchases before purchasing them.

I love new gear. I would love to have everything new that every manufacturer comes out with (that would work for me). Alas, I cannot do this, as my funds are not that liquid and widely available. It causes me to learn about what I do have. There are a few synths in my studio that I have only scratched the surface of, and I have had them for some time.

Two pieces of gear come to mind: Alesis QSR and the ROland D-05. They are mainly single sound layering synths for me in my studio, but I know that they are capable of much more. Navigating on either one is a bit of a chore, and maybe that is why I do not get deep in those two. I have made sounds on the D-05 that suit what I need it for and have not had the need to really get deeper into it.

I also have 4 Ensoniq products in my studio. I love my VFX and VFX-SD. I have gotten into those very deeply, and still find timbres, even today, that still amaze me. The VFX-SD has a sequencer as well and so it has even more use for me. Both of these units were made in 1989. Just when I think I have them figured out, they surprise me and I get even deeper timbres out of them. The other Ensoniq units I have are SQ-R+/32 and are basically smaller rack versions of the VFX, so they are very easy to program for me.

My M50 and Kross 1 are very deep, but similar, so I can work around on those pretty well and get great stuff out of them. Even though the M50 came out in 2008 (I think), it is really deep as well and you can get some great stuff out of it. The same with the Kross, but programming the Kross is somewhat limiting because of the LCD screen.

Finally on my PA700, it just gets deeper and deeper. The more I spend time on it, the more I learn. I see the PA700, as I do all of my synths, as a long-term investment. I want to get everything out of it that I can. I am not interested in getting something else, unless the PA700 continually fails to do what I want it to do. This is not the case with the PA700 though. It is like having the M50 and Kross in another unit but with more features. It really sets the bar very high for me.

Would I consider another arranger? There are a couple that really interest me, but Korg has yet to make one of them. I would love to see a PA788 (patterned after the PA588). That would give me an 88-key keybed and sound system in-built with everything the PA700 does. I would certainly buy one of those if they ever became available. In fact, I could likely get rid of my current 88-key slab piano if Korg released something like a PA788.

I have also been interested in some of the Ketron products like the SD-9 or the Audya. Their stuff sounds great too.

With all of that said, the more I work on the PA700, the more I love it. It is my main instrument in bands and certainly in my nursing home ministry. It is also integral in my studio - so much so that I need to buy another PA700 and have two of them (for main uses in the studio and as a backup for the original PA700 if it ever fails and needs to be sent in for repair).

Just my $.02

Grace,
Harry

+1, very well said.
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:54 pm    Post subject: Editing Sounds Via 'Track Controls' Sound Tab Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
... You can play a song from the Set List, play along with 4 different keyboard sets, change the sounds and there are many many settings that can be saved to a keyboard set, and all this while still playing the rhythms and Styles and Upper 3 sounds....

You also can play a song from the Set List, play along with as more different keyboard sets as you want and change the styles or styleperformances. Each sb-entry of a setlist has its own styleperformance (prgchg, mute/play, drumedit, edit bass/acc etc), and all this while still playing a recent keyboardset (with its Upper 3 sounds / lower 1 sound) or optionally changeable synced with function "StyleToKbdSet" to next four different keyboardsets.

That you can do if we get OS correction function "StyleToKbdSet" as asked for in sticky thread "Problems Report for Pa1000/Pa700 (no wish-lists)".

Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was not aware that you can play a style in Set List Mode along with a Song file...

To my knowledge, you cannot do that. I thought that the Style Mode and Song Mode were two separate modes, even in Set-List mode.

If this is true (I will try it out either today before my three performances, or tomorrow, where my PA700 will be in my studio), then I wonder if the styles can lock to the tempo in the song file (MP3 song playing from the MicroSD card I have installed in the back of my unit).

If the above is true, and it can also lock the style's tempo to the audio file playing, this opens up a HUGE possibility to add to the already playing MP3 file with more 'live' elements than just the 4 keyboard sets that you can assign in Set List mode with an MP3 file.

I do not think that it is possible, but I will try Smile

Grace,
Harry
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: StyleToKbdSet - Sb-Entry linked with Styles Reply with quote

Musicwithharry wrote:
.. you can play a style in Set List Mode along with a Song file...

Unfortunately a misunderstanding - with " play a song from the Set List" I did not mean to play a songfile but to play a song with sb-entry-type Style.

The limitation to four KeyboardSets in SetList mode is also the reason why the StyleToKbdSet function should be corrected as desired in an OS update.

With each sb-entry different style performances are saved, that at least also would open up enormous possibilities, because then it would be possible with the entry style to play randomly different style performances and - if necessary with the setting of the function StyleToKbdSet - with much more than just four live elements.

So you could play along with Songbooks Set List with as more different keyboard sets as you want and change the styles or styleperformances with access to sb-entries of Set List.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: