Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

korg kross 2 sound cut problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
reinstall

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: korg kross 2 sound cut problem Reply with quote

hi
anyone have solution for this problem.

when you change patch one to another.. like string to flute.
sound cut.. (TONE NOT REMAIN LIKE IN ROLAND XP SERIES)

please reply.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately it is what it is.

I queried his myself directly with Korg and the response was that it was a hardware limitation and not something that can be fixed by a software update.

I suggest that if the cut out is a serious issue for you and you are still within the return window that you return it and check out a Roland Juno DS as this does not seem to have the cut off, it maintains the sound until you release the keys and on the next key press the new sound plays.

Last edited by Biggles on Tue Oct 01, 2019 10:08 pm; edited 2 times in total
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm. All the demos of the XP-30 I've seen, show a distinct sound cut off character when the Patch, or Performance(?) is changed.
OpAmp
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

No statements about the Roland from my side. Only some general thoughts on hardware and software.

You'll see this behaviour (changing program without cutoff) typically only on high end (the more expensive) boards, with plenty of memory and DSP power. That allows them to reassign dynamically part of the DSPs/voices to another program without affecting the running ones.

Maybe it would be possible on the Kross from hardware point of view given certain limitations, like e.g. the effects will remain the same, it may still cut some voices if a lot of them are in use, and so on... But it probably requires a major effort to update the software to support that. Now the cutoff is caused by the fact that changing a program corresponds to resetting the DSPs and loading new memory content. Which is much easier and straight forward to implement.

The architecture of boards like the Kross is that the DSP has enough horsepower to handle one program/combi, meaning resources are allocated statically. In boards like the Kronos they allocate resources dynamically (as there is enough memory and execution time). You can keep stacking up programs, different engines and so on till the load is 100%.

Bye.
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the Korg response to my query about cut off
The ability to switch from one sound to another seemlessly is something that only the KRONOS offers, none of our other synthesizers can do this.

It would require hardware that provides the ability to do this rather than a simple software update so this isn’t going to change with the KROSS2.
Hope this provides clarification and removes any what if speculation.
Scott
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 03, 2019 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

voip wrote:
Hmm. All the demos of the XP-30 I've seen, show a distinct sound cut off character when the Patch, or Performance(?) is changed.

I don't know much about the XP30, but it's 20 years old.

As for current keyboards that allow you to change sounds without a sustained/held note of the old patch cutting out, yes, the Juno DS will do it, though you may hear a momentary glitch due to different effects on the old and new sounds. Casios and Kurzweils can do it as well, again with possible effects related limitations.

Yamaha MX and Roland FA have a limited version of this, where you can avoid cutoffs when switching between pre-defined sets of 16 sounds (called Studio Sets on the FA or Performances on the MX), but the sounds will cut off when switching from one set to another.

Higher end boards tend to have better implementations of this, i.e. Kronos, MODX (if you're using no more than 4 sounds at a time), Montage (with up to 8 sounds at a time), Fantom.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> KORG Kross All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: