Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do you think it'll be OK to go with this UPS?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
mariohardleft99

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 7:32 pm    Post subject: Do you think it'll be OK to go with this UPS? Reply with quote

Hey, everyone! I've been using the CyberPower CP1350PFCLCD, which is a Sinewave UPS system, for the past several years, at live gigs with my Kronos.

Here's a link to what I own now:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00429N19M/ref=twister_B007UL3ZEK?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

I use this UPS to power my Kronos, along with about a half-dozen other items (two keyboards, computer, Ableton Push, etc.)

This sucker is so heavy that I've been planning on getting another one that I can keep in my band van, so that I don't have to disconnect and carry this beast back and forth out of my studio.

I just saw that for a limited time, a non-Sine version of this unit is on sale:
https://www.amazon.com/CyberPower-CP1350AVRLCD-Intelligent-Outlets-Mini-Tower/dp/B000OFXKFI?ref_=Oct_DLandingS_PC_8d9b8234_0&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

Do you all think that this non-Sine version would work as well as the version that I currently have?

This sale only lasts until tonight (sept 30, 2019), so thanks in advance for your speedy replies!
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2019 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Any decent non-sine UPS will be just fine, as long as you choose a model with enough VA/watts to support what you plug into it. A good rule of thumb is to avoid loading the UPS more than 80 % of its max rating, otherwise its battery will lose its charge too quickly. Since a Kronos 2 draws only 60 W, for someone plugging just that in, a 75 W UPS would be OK.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Do you think it'll be OK to go with this UPS? Reply with quote

mariohardleft99 wrote:
Do you all think that this non-Sine version would work as well as the version that I currently have?
This sale only lasts until tonight (sept 30, 2019), so thanks in advance for your speedy replies!

Useless power/size/weight for 100VA you really need of any waveform for Kronos PSU , so no deal at all !
You actually need UPS uninterruptible power supply , lower than 4 Kgr and less than 40 $ something like this
https://www.amazon.com/bXterra-Standby-Battery-Outlets-Contoured/dp/B07J9SJVH8/ref=sr_1_9?keywords=ups+uninterruptible+power+supply&qid=1569930338&s=electronics&sr=1-9

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over the years, I've come across a handful of laptop PSUs that have been quite fussy about the type of non-sine outputs that they've been plugged into, and generally simply didn't power up on one supply but were perfectly fine on another. Not sure if the Kronos SMPSU falls into this category but it may be that these had input supply voltage monitoring, and if the inputs didn't match the range expected for 230V or 115V supplies, internal "protection" circuits stopped them firing up. The "modified sine" three state output, used by many non-sine supplies, tends to use a variable duty cycle, dependent on the voltage the internal inverter has charged the source capacitors to. Sometimes, this voltage falls outside the expected range, in those cases.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have written many times as a SMPS designer , that Kronos PSU (as the 99% of properly designed LPD's PSU) , works under any voltage
80-400V , under any AC waveform (DC is always the best option) , with inductance input filtering , full bridge rectifier and 220μF
capacitor with zero need of sparks & surge suppressors, and the only failure is the over 200mS interruption of net power supply.
Therefore any cheap UPS uninterruptible power supply is perfect !

Keyboards : Steinway-D, Kronos X, Pa5X 76, Pa4X 76, Montage M7 , Roland-XV88, Emu3,Emax II,Synclavier II,Yamaha DX Series, ΟΒ-8V
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi there,

Any decent non-sine UPS will be just fine, as long as you choose a model with enough VA/watts to support what you plug into it. A good rule of thumb is to avoid loading the UPS more than 80 % of its max rating, otherwise its battery will lose its charge too quickly. Since a Kronos 2 draws only 60 W, for someone plugging just that in, a 75 W UPS would be OK.

Interesting, KK, I’ve never heard of a non-sine wave as a preferred recommendation before. I thought that a non-stepped (pure) sine would be the preferred choice, instead.
AntonySharmman
Approved Merchant
Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbukktwo wrote:
I thought that a non-stepped (pure) sine would be the preferred choice, instead.

He actually said that non-sine waveform is just fine and that's accurate !
Kronos PSU doesn't care of inverter's output waveform since it perfectly rectifies it to DC voltage , but a stepped PWM output of a power
switching circuit can cause strong EMF and higher frequency hum noise of abrupt high current pulses that might effect other audio equipment
and radio receivers , unlike pure sine output , that is actually also a generated stepped PWM but with excessive inductance filtering !

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

timbukktwo wrote:
Interesting, KK, I’ve never heard of a non-sine wave as a preferred recommendation before. I thought that a non-stepped (pure) sine would be the preferred choice, instead.

Hi timbukktwo,

As AntonySharmman said, it's not really a preferred choice - but for this particular application here it's kind of overkill to buy a much more expensive pure-sine UPS. The good news is that you will protect your Kronos for sure. Mine is always plugged on its dedicated little UPS. It's been almost three years now and all is well. Cool
timbukktwo

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the clarification, guys!
mariohardleft99

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2019 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, everyone. Much appreciated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: