Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Help with Trinity V3 ROM image please

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SwnLab

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Help with Trinity V3 ROM image please Reply with quote

Hello every one, I hope all of you guys are doing great.

So last night I was trying to help a friend with his 2 Trinity V3 units. He had one already that had scratches and scuff marks on it and what not. Then he bought another one that was better in shape and it had a working pitch stick. He asked me to help him remove some of the guts from his original V3 and put them into the new V3. And I did. I removed his PBS-TR as well as his MOSS board.

Then I turned on the "new" keyboard to check it out, and realized its version 2.4.1. And I knew for sure that his original one was version 3.0. And of course this difference in versioning is causing the new keyboard not to register none of the boards I just put it. So I was like no problem. I will download the new OS from Korg website and I did. I Downloaded 3.1.1 and imaged it on two floppies. Then started the process.

I put it in the new keyboard and I realized the process is not working. But I wasn't sure if it was the keyboard, or disk controller, or the floppies. So I went to the original keyboard and did it there since it was 3.0 and now I have 3.1.1 and started the process on that one. I did the booting process, put floppy 1 first, it read the big image file, then it said "erasing ROM" which honestly it freaked me out at first, but I was like what ever. Then right after that it stopped and it said "File error, or corrupt data". Then I was about to puke and started to pull my hair out. At this point the process halted, they keyboard wont' move forward, ROM is erased, and I realized I am in a big trouble.

Sorry for all the details but I am just trying to tell you guys that I did everything correctly and still failed the update process. Now I have a dead/break Trinity v3 at home. I turn it on, the display lights up, but nothing happens, its basically a white dead screen.

Any body has any clue, or help, or anything that can help with? I am really really really disparate for help since this is not my keyboard and I was just trying to lend a hand of help.

Thank you and hope to hear from you guys.
PS: I apologize in advance if this topic was already mentioned here.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you execute and extract the image onto the floppy disks correctly before you put them into the Trinity?

What floppy disks are you using? Are they 1.4mb DSHD (Double-Sided, High-Density)?

On disk 1 you should end up with the files IMAGE.DAT, SYSINFO3.KRG and V06.000
On disk 2 you should have V06.001

If you've done the above, you can try the Trinity's hidden hotkeys (Enter+Reset) whilst switching on again to attempt to put it into re-install mode. Or if that fails, try to reset (Enter+0 on startup) to see if that does anything, before again attempting to reinstall:-

Code:
Korg Trinity HIDDEN COMMANDS:-
================

ENTER + RESET at start up:-
Prepares the Trinity for O.S. upload. Floppy disk drive will begin clicking.

ENTER + 0 at start up:-
Zaps the SRAM. Use this sanity-saving technique to recover from a system crash. Note: you will lose the previously installed PCGs, so try to back them up before doing it.

ENTER + 5 at start up:-
Puts the Trinity in test mode. Again, your previously installed PCGs will be lost. Tread cautiously in this unchartered territory. Note: ENTER + 7 also works.

Code:
Trinity Operating System Upgrade Instructions Ver 3.1.2
=======================================================

Download the new operating system operating system.

Making the two system disks.
----------------------------

You will also need WinZip(tm) or a similar program to unzip the archived download file.

After un-zipping the file trin312.zip you should have two disk image files:

312disk1.exe and 312disk2.exe

Ensure that you have two DSHD floppy disks ready.

Double click on the file 312disk1.exe and insert the first floppy disk at the prompt.

When the disk has finished being created remove and label it Disk 1.

Double click on the file 312disk2.exe and insert the second floppy disk at the prompt.

When the disk has finished being created remove and label it Disk 2.

Installing the new OS into Trinity:-
------------------------------------

01) If there is any valuable sound or sequence data in the Trinity please make sure that you save it to disk. If not please ensure that you have a copy of the factory data which can be found on TDF00P disk which comes with the Trinity.

02) Please ensure that you have a good mains supply to the Trinity and take extra precautions to ensure that the mains supply will not be interrupted while loading the new software. If the mains supply does fail while the disks are loading the Trinity will need to be returned to Korg UK Service Dept    

03) Insert disk number 1.

04) Press and hold down the ‘ENTER’ and ‘RESET’ buttons while switching on.

05) Keep the buttons held down until the display say ‘Insert boot disk’. As the disk is already in the drive there is no need to insert it.

06) The disk will now load and while it is doing so the Trinity must not be turned off or the disk removed.

05) At some point the display will show ‘Don’t Touch Me’. Please heed this warning.

06) When the first disk has finished loading the display will show a message asking for disk 2 to be inserted.

07) Remove disk 1 and insert disk 2.

08) When disk 2 has finished loading Trinity will re-boot. When the Trinity logo comes to rest in the centre of the display, observe that the display shows Version 3.1.2   

09) Reload the factory data:

i) Insert disk TFD00P which came with the Trinity and has the factory preload on it. Press the DISK button.
ii) Use the touch screen to select the file ‘PRELOAD1.PCG’.   
iii) Use the load pull down menu in the top right corner.
iv) Touch ‘Load Selected’.
v) Touch ‘OK’
vi) Wait while the data loads

10) Select Combi mode and check that TRINITY OVERTURE is displayed.

11) Play the Trinity as a final test.

Sadly I have no further information to give beyond this point. If it still doesn't work you'd need to contact Korg or a Korg technician.

Or given you're merging two Trinitys into one, you could perhaps use the other Trinity's motherboard.
SwnLab

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo. First of all I would like to thank you very much for your reply and help, I sure appreciate that.

Trust me, I followed the steps in the txt file word for word because I know its a critical process. As far as the floppies, they were 1.4Mb double sided high density as you mentioned. And the interesting thing is when I put disk 1, and as it loaded the v05.000 file (I am not 100% sure if I got the file name right), it said "Erasing ROM", then it tried to load another file after that and that's were the devastating thing happened. It couldn't read that second file and thus it crashed the whole thing.

I just need to make a note here, I was very surprised and disappointed that Korg did its software upgrade this way. This is a big NO NO when it comes to software development. I write embedded software myself, as part of my job, and usually I would load the entire image to memory first, verify the image, and THEN erase ROM to write the new data to it. Not delete ROM half way thru the process. I have seen also by the way, in other instruments that I own, like the Akai Z4 for example. When I upgraded its firmware, this is exactly what happened. It read the entire OS image to memory first, verified it, then it deleted ROM and wrote the new image to it.

Any way, once again Timo, I thank you very much for your help and effort in helping. I will try and research this and hopefully I can hack my way thru it and try to re-import back the OS into ROM. I can tell you it will take me some soldering and de-soldering and probably some ROM data flasher, which I have at work. I don't want to say stay tuned, because I might fail miserably, but if I get anywhere I will definitely let you know.

Thank you.
Timo
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess the Trinity being released in 1995 while the Akai Z4 in 2002 was a critical difference in era in terms of memory usage and availability, seven years was a long time back then!

In the early days I believe Korg only released their software updates to authorised Korg technicians and had them do the updates, as opposed to the customer, especially as 1995 was also pre-internet for Korg.

So, just to be clear, you cannot even put the Trinity back into "Insert boot disk" mode (Enter+Reset on startup) to try a different disk/image?

Other than sending it back to Korg support, I think you're going down the other most likely method to fix it. Fingers crossed for you.
SwnLab

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timo wrote:
Guess the Trinity being released in 1995 while the Akai Z4 in 2002 was a critical difference in era in terms of memory usage and availability, seven years was a long time back then!

In the early days I believe Korg only released their software updates to authorised Korg technicians and had them do the updates, as opposed to the customer, especially as 1995 was also pre-internet for Korg.

So, just to be clear, you cannot even put the Trinity back into "Insert boot disk" mode (Enter+Reset on startup) to try a different disk/image?

Other than sending it back to Korg support, I think you're going down the other most likely method to fix it. Fingers crossed for you.

Thanks Timo once again for your follow up on this subject, can't thank you enough for your care and help.

So to confirm your question, when I turn the unit ON it comes up in blank white screen, no writing, no prompt to insert any floppies. I even tried with a OS booting floppy in it and try it again, and still blank white screen. I tried both "Enter + Reset" and "Enter + Zero" when I turn it On, but still no luck. I know the "Enter + Zero" will initialize the keyboard, but you know how it is when your disparate for anything? You press anything, lol.

I did email Korg Tech support and waiting for them to see what they say. At this point I am just trying to find out which ICs are the ROM chips so I can start my dissecting. Like I said previously I am not sure how successful I will be, but I would rather try something versus leaving the keyboard dead as a rock.

Thanks again Timo and you have a great week.
MMTGuy28

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SwnLab wrote:

I just need to make a note here, I was very surprised and disappointed that Korg did its software upgrade this way. This is a big NO NO when it comes to software development. I write embedded software myself, as part of my job, and usually I would load the entire image to memory first, verify the image, and THEN erase ROM to write the new data to it. Not delete ROM half way thru the process. I have seen also by the way, in other instruments that I own, like the Akai Z4 for example. When I upgraded its firmware, this is exactly what happened. It read the entire OS image to memory first, verified it, then it deleted ROM and wrote the new image to it.

Agreed. Anything other than a protected bootloader is just poor design

Having any luck getting info from Korg?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Trinity All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: