Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Set List, Style Play snd editing, Change EQ n FX for Upper 1

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 9:34 pm    Post subject: Set List, Style Play snd editing, Change EQ n FX for Upper 1 Reply with quote

When I'm in Style Play mode, how do I access the editing for the individual sounds, FROM STYLE PLAY. I could of course go to the Sound mode, but I want to stay in Style Play for a number of reasons. I want to be able to adjust the fx, eq, etc. of an individual sound while playing.

Also, when I've pushed the Panel button Set List, it takes me to the familiar 9 tile layout, but unlike with the individual sounds, I can't seem to Copy and Paste or Delete within the multiple pages of the Set List. Basic list management.

I've been chunking away at the manual and the board itself, what a fun challenge (except the manual, I sometimes have to re-read stuff carefully) and am quickly getting up to speed on some basics, it's taken me awhile to orient myself. Mostly 'cause this board is an arranger first, a sound player 2d.

I'm not used to an arranger where I actually use the auto-accompaniment to a greater or lesser extent. I've owned a handful of arrangers, and this is the first time I find many of the Styles and sounds to be fun and even inspiring sometimes. So, I've gotten very distracted with trying out Styles.

My usual orientation with keyboards is to have sounds at the ready, so that with a button push or two I've got all the basic sounds I'm going to need, and have the keyboard setup for splits and lush voices, etc.

So to that end I finally came back to the Set List (panel). Which'll probably be my way to find all my best sounds and keyboard setups.

It's a trip playing with no auto accompaniment but having strings with a bass note, very sweet voices, chords that sustain until you play the next chord, which means I can take my hand off from holding the left hand chord, and easily be ready for the next chord. For someone who has to do a lot of hand/wrist stretching, this is a very good thing.

Randy

Last edited by Randelph on Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm.... I think I found an answer to where the Sound Editing happens.

I'll bet that when I'm in Style Play and hit Menu > Track Controls > Sound Edit, that those are offset amounts that are saved with the Style.

Whereas in Sound mode, hitting Menu gives you the full range of editing options that are saved in the User Sounds.

Saw something similar on one of the UK webinars.

If the Menu choice for the sounds offset parameters (Style Play) is scant, offering only envelope, filter, lfo, and portamento, and not even eq or fx, the offset parameters for Drum Edit includes ambience and eq. Interesting.

Actually I'm happy that there is at least some offset parameters to set. I've had way too many boards where the only way to change a sound was saving the entire sound to a User bank, no offsets provided for.
Randelph
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, I think I understand now how to manage the Set List after I've hit the Set list button.

Hit the lower tab for Set List and then from the drop down menu choose Set List Edit.

Hurray! I much about enough and some of these things I end up figuring out!

But if i'm understanding this correctly, I have no simple way to adjust fx and eq for an individual sound. If I'm playing a Style and want Upper 1 sound to have more fx or different eq, my only option is to go into a Global > Menu > Master EQ preset, which affects ALL the sounds. And for different fx I have to go to Style Play > Menu > Master FX, and that has no insert fx controls.

And I haven't found where I can assign Aftertouch. Many of the Upper sounds I'd assign Cutoff filter
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 8:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say just how impressed I am with the way that you are throwing yourself wholeheartedly at learning your way around your PA.

You can assign FX to the sounds within a Style if you look at the Korg Video Manual series there is one specifically on Fx which explains how to use the functions far better than I can.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=vuRU1dt0guo

Just watching the first minute will show you what and hiw to do the changes.

The key to using any PA is getting a thorough understanding of and in using Songbook and Setlists.

The process I use is as follows:-
I select a Style for a specific song.
The Style is then saved as the Song name.
Then I change each of the four keyboard sets to suit saving after I change each one.
Then changes to up2, ler etc are made and saved with each change.
Fx applied and saved
Pads, Var, etc changed and saved after each change
Then save one last time for no other reason than that is what I do.

So now each time I select the Song it has all the settings saved and ready to play with it and the source Style remains unchanged.

As Harry has advised so well in another thread the Global Eq/Lm are just that global that can be customised and saved as a series of different presets that a player can use in different environments.

Songbook eventually may contain all your repertoire and from Songbook you create the Setlists to suit, you just have to remember to select Enable Set List Edit from the drop down menu.

There is an easier way to manage Songbook and Setlists and that is to use the free software Songbook Editor, and again there are not one but two Korg Videos on the subject.

I have used Songbook Editor to combine the three versions of Osimo snd then modified those that need the mods to suit my PA700
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience with the PA700 (which is two years now), you can edit basic sound settings while in Style mode for the individual sounds that appear in your Upper 1/2/3 and Lower. You can edit EFX, EQ, Panning, keyboard range (more suited for the split between upper/lower, insert effect (on one of the Upper sounds) and a few other things.

You can also edit the attack, release, cutoff, resonance, decay, etc... for each sound in your keyboard set while in style mode.

For more in-depth programming of each individual sound (oscillators, filters, etc...) you will need to go into sound mode and select the sound you want to edit. Save it (if it is a factory sound, save it in your User bank) and then select that newly customized sound while in Style mode and put it in your keyboard set.

I find that the customization in the Style (or Sequencer) modes for sounds is more for basic overall editing of the sound.

You can also edit the Drum sounds on a 'per sound' basis; you can tune them, EQ them, change their individual volume, add ambience (if the kit selected is an ambient kit - it will be designated 'AMB' at the end of its name), and so on. It allows for A LOT of customization for the drum sounds.

Different MIDI files come to mind when I needed the ability to tailor individual sounds:

Broken Wings from Mr. Mister - when the snare drum comes in at the latter part of the song, I was able to add more Reverb and Ambience to it to make it more 'effected' without having to affect the entire kit.

I Wish It Would Rain Down from Phil Collins - his snare and toms are known for their extreme gating and ambience. I was able to get REALLY close by 'effecting' the snare and toms with lots of ambience and reverb without affecting the entire kit.

Cars from Gary Numan - there is a sound that reminds me of a whiplash with a lot of tail to it. I was able to get this sound pretty close too because of the individual drum sound editing.

There are also some sounds that I was able to edit using the basic sound control editing tools in Sequencer mode.

If you want to make new sounds or perform extreme editing to the oscillators and such, you will need to go into Sound mode to be able to do it.

If you want to edit EFX for each individual sound, then it depends on what you are trying to accomplish.

There are two effects blocks:

1. EFX A
2. EFX B

Each block is capable of using two effects (Effects 1 and Effects 2).

Each track has the ability to either go through EFX A Block or EFX B Block. In Style mode, EFX A is usually where the 'backing track instruments' go to (drums, bass, guitars - basically anything playing in the style before you start playing your lead stuff over the top0.

EFX B is usually where the keyboard sets (Upper 1/2/3/Lower) go.

You can adjust the Effects 1 and 2 for each track levels. These levels will add more/less to each sound in that block for whatever the 2 effects are.

Example - if you have EFX A Block set to Reverb (Effect 1) and Chorus (Effect 2), them you will be able to adjust the level of each one for each track with a value between 0 and 127.

The same applies for EFX B Block.

Another wrench in the wheel is the ability to assign Insert Effects. If memory serves, you can have 2 Insert Effects for Block A and 1 Insert Effect for Block B. This helps when trying to make rhythm guitars sound more real in the backing tracks or for adding different effects.

The Insert Effects, in Block A, will work with 2 Insert Effects on one track, or 1 Insert Effect on two tracks. They are not global across all of the tracks.

The Insert Effect for Block B is available on one track only.

Each track, no matter their assignment to A or B, will have 3-band EQ, Panning, Level, etc... I believe that there is also a trim feature (while I do not use that, as I would rather have all at 99 and then adjust individual track volume).

I would turn on my PA700 and get you even more details, but we are under a severe storm warning with a lot of lightning around Smile I do not want to harm my gear. I am doing this from memory right now, so some of my nomenclature may be a bit off for individual control names...

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
siebenhirter
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Pa1000 Aftertouch Reply with quote

Randelph wrote:
.. And I haven't found where I can assign Aftertouch. Many of the Upper sounds I'd assign Cutoff filter

Activating/deactivating aftertouch functions is done by using aftertouch on/off checkbox.
You can activate/deactivate aftertouch on each Keyboard Sound in Menue Keyboard/Ensemble > Aftertouch page.

It is standard that aftertouch will control modulation, however it can be assigned to other roles by each Sound individually (as parameter are adjusted in Sound Edit).

Each KeyboardSet use its own setting of aftertouch on/on-activation (nothing global, but individual - nice!).

Interesting facts about styles and stylePlayer functions can be found at http: www.elmarherz.de
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: