Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Yamaha SX900 multiple chord loops
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Korghelper,
Not sure the demos give the full picture. This is my understanding.
The chord sequences are recorded individually and saved as a bank (which can be named) so guessing you’d name it for the song you want to use it with. At least that is the way I’ll do it.
The 8 chord sequence progressions show up on the screen it self. They are numbered 1 to 8. You see the chords in the progression.
You can import and export these individual sequences to and from banks, and create new ones
Don’t know if you can actually name the individual sequences when importing and exporting.
Know more when it arrives.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note
Wavesart CFX 9ft Grand Piano 🥰

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
ckobu

PostPosted: Tue Sep 24, 2019 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We can have eight loops and store from in one Bank. We can name each loop and we can manipulate the loops inside the bank. (export, import, clear)

rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi ,

Thank you for that.

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023

Last edited by rikkisbears on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
rikkisbears
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 2:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Double post

HOBBYIST

PA5X 88 note

Yamaha PSR SX900

Band in a Box 2023

Last edited by rikkisbears on Wed Sep 25, 2019 8:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 25, 2019 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK... Not perfect, but better than nothing. Going to be a bit of a squint seeing the file name compared to the chord display font, but at least it's there. Nice. I definitely like the idea that each one can be saved separately, which will make life easy for using it to create medleys of up to eight songs you can freely switch between.

Still a bit confused as to the point of having the chords displayed though. It looks like you can display 4-5 tops, which doesn't look that handy for longer loops. I know the kids nowadays tent to think in four chord chunks (which explains why modern music can be such cr*p!) but jazz heads, classic rock songs, and basically any music made before 1990 (!) tend for much longer and more complex chord progressions. So what's the point of displaying the first 4-5? Or do they scroll (didn't see that happening in any Youtube demos)..?

And, I don't see anything about them transposing. Can you transpose the CS independently of the keyboard or will you have to create a blues 12-bar in all 12 keys if you want to play in all 12 keys?

I hope Yamaha reconsider these design choices, and certainly hope Korg do if they adopt the feature...
ckobu

PostPosted: Fri Oct 04, 2019 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New Genos version 2.0 - added Chord Looper function

https://youtu.be/KfrdEbbz1aM
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 07, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You've definitely got to admire Yamaha's ability to roll code from one model quickly into the code for another. It all seems very modular.

Perhaps another area Korg can emulate? It has been a bit frustrating seeing improvements for one model take ages to percolate up (or down!) to another...
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Thu Oct 10, 2019 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karmathanever wrote:
Biggles wrote:
ts a Yamaha.
Why would anyone buy a Yamaha Arranger?

The thing could whistle Dixie all on its own and I for one would not be interested simply because its a Yamaha
If Yamaha produced the only keyboards I would make my own tin whistle.

I get this very very vague notion that you do not like Yamaha much Wink

I played Yamaha and Roland arrangers for a long time but, personally, will be very excited the day they produce something more professional.

P Very Happy

You know, my first arranger, ever, was the Technics SX-PR270 Digital Ensemble, way back in the early/mid-90's. That thing was an absolute beast. I did so many albums and gigs with that giant thing.

I have used Roland arrangers for years before getting the PA700 two years ago. I actually had two of the E-09 arrangers, because I needed a backup unit, since I played at nursing homes every day and also played at church and also used the E-09 for band gigs and stuff.

I got A LOT of mileage out of my E-09 units. Each one has well over 2 million notes played and I cannot tell you how many times I took them apart to replace buttons that wore out. I even replaced the LCD screens in both of them. I still have one of those E-09 units left (sold the other to a friend). My remaining E-09 is used at church for mainly piano sounds.

Korg brings much to the table with their arrangers and have some great features that the others are very late bringing into their lines. Eventually, they will all start working together somehow and release the same arrangers under their own respective brand names Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing that I realized about the file name displayed as the only way to recognize or remember what each sequence does is that presumably they are all stored on the drive together, so using file names like ‘Verse’ and ‘Chorus’ won’t work because the machine won’t allow duplicate names.

I guess a workaround might be to name the file ‘Verse_Song title’ so the section is what is displayed first, but it’s going to make for a messy display. I have my doubts under stage conditions that tiny font will be readable...

The sooner Yamaha allow the display itself (not the file name display) to have the name of the section (I can’t for the life of me think of any use for the first few chords being displayed!) the better.

Pay attention, Korg! Sometimes it is the little details that make the difference between a usable feature and a good idea not quite ready for stage use.
kbrkr
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2019 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is an awesome feature and wished the Pa4x had it. I use the Chord Tracker ALL THE TIME to learn songs. I simply take an MP3 file and it displays the Chord map of the entire song. To be able to load that into the keyboard automatically and setup a chord map in the keyboard and loop it is awesome.

I may have to rethink the Genos.
ckobu

PostPosted: Sun Oct 13, 2019 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Korghelper wrote:
One thing that I realized about the file name displayed as the only way to recognize or remember what each sequence does is that presumably they are all stored on the drive together, so using file names like ‘Verse’ and ‘Chorus’ won’t work because the machine won’t allow duplicate names.

I guess a workaround might be to name the file ‘Verse_Song title’ so the section is what is displayed first, but it’s going to make for a messy display. I have my doubts under stage conditions that tiny font will be readable...

The sooner Yamaha allow the display itself (not the file name display) to have the name of the section (I can’t for the life of me think of any use for the first few chords being displayed!) the better.

Pay attention, Korg! Sometimes it is the little details that make the difference between a usable feature and a good idea not quite ready for stage use.

Eight Chord Looper Memory [1]–[8] you can save as a single Bank file. You can write your own name for each Looper Memory Chorde and you can also add your own name to each Bank.
If the preview on the keyboard screen is small, you can use an external large screen.
Korghelper
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps I'll just have to see one to find out if reading the small file names is practical...

What I'm talking about is having separate loops within one Bank for the song's Verse, Bridge, Chorus, etc. (many songs don't have a strictly repeated form, often it's Verse/Chorus/Verse/Chorus/Bridge/Chorus/Chorus/End or other forms) but being easily able to identify under stage lighting conditions which Loop is which section. Also I might like to have different songs in their entire form as one loop assembled into easily performed medleys.

When you may have hundreds of songs in your repertoire, simply remembering which Loop is which is going to be tricky... And that light grey on darker grey small font for the file name seems something that might be tough to easily read. Accidentally hitting the wrong Loop is a recipe for utter disaster!
ckobu

PostPosted: Mon Oct 14, 2019 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I understand what you're talking about.
You can name each individual Bank by song name and copy any Chord Loop into it. Maybe the same Chord Loop will be in more than one Bank. You can have an unlimited number of Banks.
karmathanever
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This would be a nice feature on the next Korg arranger - even Casio has this on their TOTL arranger/workstation!!!

Very Happy
...and play lots of music Very Happy
------------------------------------------------------------------
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Pa4X All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: