Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

midi file resources

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 4:01 pm    Post subject: midi file resources Reply with quote

Hello forum,

Can anyone suggest a couple of good midi file resources? Free or paid. Thank you!

With very limited knowledge of PA700, I feel like working with midi will be a pretty big deal in unleashing the potential of the keyboard.

Self-taught keyboard newbie. Humbled and grateful for this forum. Korg PA700 + TC Helicon Perform-VK
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have bought a couple from midiworld but there are dozens of site.

Do be advised that your 700 will make a best guess at what instruments to use and you will probably have to undertake actions on the file.

A MIDI can be imported as a Style via the inbuilt creator bot.

Do take time to work at gaining a thorough understanding of your 700 it will be worth the effort.

Start by working through the official Korg Video Manual series which is on Youtube, if you have not already done so.
Dawnbell

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Biggles, for your input! I appreciate it!

I was indeed inspired to work with midi after I watched the tutorials on YouTube channel "Tutorials For KORG Arranger Keyboards". I am sure many of us here are familiar with that channel already Smile

Self-taught keyboard newbie. Humbled and grateful for this forum. Korg PA700 + TC Helicon Perform-VK
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can I suggest you revisit the video tutorials but this time only view the ones actually made by Korg.

This is the first for the 700.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=y93U9xG85ao
Reuben
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the best free midi sites is vanBasco's
http://www.vanbasco.com/midisearch.html
In most cases the larger the midi file (a 30kb file is usually better than a 5kb one) is the better choice.
Next step is to open it in the sequencer and swap some of the general midi instruments for better ones on the Korg (particularly drums, and guitars).
Next I usually either mute the instrument I want to play (eg piano or guitar) though sometimes you can swap say a piano to a low volume EP to give you a timing cue (if the beat drops out).
Re-mix the volumes. Normally this is a simple matter of adjusting the faders on the front page, but sometimes the midi will have volume events within the track. In this case you need to find them using Edit (and using the filter option helps you find them) and change them or delete them. A few will have Program Change events so your front page instrument choices will be overwritten - so again you might need to edit these out.
Karaoke style midis enable you to see the lyrics on screen and there are some free or cheap programs that allow you to add chord prompts to the lyrics.
Personally I prefer to work with midis rather than styles. They are less repetitive and there is a lot less button pushing during a performance.
One more thing - get organised by having a folder to store your midis in (say "myMidis") and definitely use the Songbook so each midi has its STS settings ready to go.
Also remember that backups do not save your midis. You need to occasionally COPY the folder to a USB drive to have a backup.
Musicwithharry
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reuben wrote:
One of the best free midi sites is vanBasco's
http://www.vanbasco.com/midisearch.html
In most cases the larger the midi file (a 30kb file is usually better than a 5kb one) is the better choice.
Next step is to open it in the sequencer and swap some of the general midi instruments for better ones on the Korg (particularly drums, and guitars).
Next I usually either mute the instrument I want to play (eg piano or guitar) though sometimes you can swap say a piano to a low volume EP to give you a timing cue (if the beat drops out).
Re-mix the volumes. Normally this is a simple matter of adjusting the faders on the front page, but sometimes the midi will have volume events within the track. In this case you need to find them using Edit (and using the filter option helps you find them) and change them or delete them. A few will have Program Change events so your front page instrument choices will be overwritten - so again you might need to edit these out.
Karaoke style midis enable you to see the lyrics on screen and there are some free or cheap programs that allow you to add chord prompts to the lyrics.
Personally I prefer to work with midis rather than styles. They are less repetitive and there is a lot less button pushing during a performance.
One more thing - get organised by having a folder to store your midis in (say "myMidis") and definitely use the Songbook so each midi has its STS settings ready to go.
Also remember that backups do not save your midis. You need to occasionally COPY the folder to a USB drive to have a backup.

I completely agree with you. When I have a MIDI file in the sequencer of my PA70-, I change all of the sounds to Factory/Legacy/User sounds I want to use. I then listen to it, and most of the time, and edit out volume/program/EFX changes (except for sustain pedal info) out of each track. Many of the tracks, if not edited, will default back to the program changes in each track. I also go into the master track and change the Chord for the song (as they are usually wrong).

After getting all of that stuff taken care of, I listen again and make any other changes to the song on a per-track-basis and then add custom EFX for the song. I then get a file that I can play over the top of. I also delete the melody track and create a track for my solo sound (with its own EFX settings).

I am programming a lot of MIDI songs and converting many from free sites and paid sites, so I can use them live with a band or when I play solo gigs.

I often backup my MIDI file folder, and even with having a lot of MIDI files (I have hundreds that I am converting and have over 160 finished already), it takes up little room. My main MIDI file folder on the PA700 only takes up a couple hundred mb of space).

I also store my MIDI file folder on Google Drive, so I can retireve it from the web if needed if I need to restore it, for whatever reason. I also carry a flash drive with system restores and SETs using the Save All function, just in case the keyboard needs a reset/restore before a gig...('ve been doing this since the 90's, because you never know when there might be an issue Smile

Grace,
Harry
Alesis Vortex Keytar, Alesis QS6.2, Alesis QSR, Alesis SR-16, Behringer Deepmind-12, Ensoniq Avista 7600, Ensoniq VFX, Ensoniq VFX-SD, Ensoniq SQ1+, (2) Ensoniq SQ-R+/32, Korg i3 (2020 Version), (2) Korg Kross 1-61, (2) Korg Kross 1-88, Korg Minilogue XD, Korg Minilogue XD Module, Korg M50-61, Korg PA700, Korg X5DR, Korg Z3, Kurzweil SP1, Lowrey EZP3 (bascially a Kawai), Roland D-05, Roland E-09, Waldorf Streichfett, Yamaha Reface CP, Yamaha Reface CS, Yamaha Reface DX, Yamaha Reface YC
Biggles
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Sep 22, 2019 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the link Reuben, much appreciated

EDIT

I have downloaded and tried a dozen MIDI and six KAR files and they all work pretty good on my 700.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg PA1000/PA700 All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: