Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Difference between J. Rudess and unmodified Yamaha piano?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
ChrisDuncan wrote:
From looking at the programs, I got the impression that the Yamahas are C, i.e. "baby grand" versus the full D grand. If I got that right.

That's exactly right. Cool Also, maybe another aspect is that Korg did a better job at sampling/reproducing the German/Steinway compared to the Japanese/Yamaha. It's extremely difficult even for experienced professionals to record/sample acoustic pianos with excellent results.

Technically, the C7 (7'4") is a "semi-concert grand", not a baby grand. I'm lucky enough to have one, and it's pretty long. Baby grands are usually 5' or so. Wink

KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 4:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stephen, you are likely right. The problem is that the Yamaha C series goes from the C1 (5' 3'') to the C7 like you have. It makes more sense that Korg would have preferred to use the largest of the family, but with just a "C" as model info it can be confusing as to exactly which one they sampled. Cool

Similar size confusion happens with the new Italian "F". Here too it's more likely to be the F228, F278 or F308 cm version instead of the F156 or F183 cm.

At least, for the Steinway D model, there can't be no mistake for his size (9'), just like the Bechstein D (9' 2''). Cool
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
Hi Stephen, you are likely right. The problem is that the Yamaha C series goes from the C1 (5' 3'') to the C7 like you have. It makes more sense that Korg would have preferred to use the largest of the family, but with just a "C" as model info it can be confusing as to exactly which one they sampled.

It makes no sense that it wouldn't be the C7, since that is the Yamaha C that is so famous and well-known. But they couldn't, for the reasons we're having this whole discussion, apparently be that clear about it.

"Oh, let's sample a C1 and make that our "Yamaha Grand"" - went the discussion NOT at all. Wink

ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2019 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StephenKay wrote:
KK wrote:
ChrisDuncan wrote:
From looking at the programs, I got the impression that the Yamahas are C, i.e. "baby grand" versus the full D grand. If I got that right.

That's exactly right. Cool Also, maybe another aspect is that Korg did a better job at sampling/reproducing the German/Steinway compared to the Japanese/Yamaha. It's extremely difficult even for experienced professionals to record/sample acoustic pianos with excellent results.

Technically, the C7 (7'4") is a "semi-concert grand", not a baby grand. I'm lucky enough to have one, and it's pretty long. Baby grands are usually 5' or so. Wink

Yeah, I don't have much experience with real pianos but what you say makes sense.

In any event, a smaller scale compared to the Steinway would mean that in terms of sound I'm not really comparing apples to apples so as with all such things, best to just enjoy each for what they are.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: