Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Piano Types

View previous topic :: View next topic  
spottingjonah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 6:27 am    Post subject: Piano Types Reply with quote

I've searched far and wide and can't find the answer. Perhaps someone here knows.

In the Piano Types names, what does the "D" or "C" represent, and what about the lowercase "s" at the end of some? (i.e. "German D Dark 1 s")

Is this obvious and I'm unenlightened?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The big letters are simply the brand/model number, so German/Steinway D, Japanese/Yamaha C, Austrian/Bösenforfer Imperial and recently Italian F for Fazioli.

The "s" means stretched tuning, which is how acoustic pianos are normally tuned, with lower keys gradually a bit down in pitch and upper keys a bit higher in pitch. The non-stretched tunings remain useful for multi-instrument scenarios, when you don't want the pianos to sound strange or off pitch in those areas.
spottingjonah

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you so much for the info... I truly appreciate it!!!

Curious, is this a piano thing or a Korg thing?
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2019 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're welcome.

About using German/Japanese/etc instead of Steinway/Yamaha/etc, I think Korg had to remain a bit vague for some copyright reason or something, just like most other manufacturers emulating acoustic pianos with hardware or software.

About stretched tuning, it is actually a standard practice of acoustic piano tuners to counter the effects of what is called inharmonicity (iH). Because piano strings are made of very rigid metal, when they sound upon impact they not only produce a fundamental frequency corresponding to each note but also "partials", which are harmonics but not exactly equal to the whole number multiples of this fundamental. And as the human ear perceives these mix of partials as slightly out of tune, to compensate the tuner must trick the ear by adjusting/stretching the tuning of the lowest and highest strings. It's a complicated subject but quite interesting so feel free to google about inharmonicity if you want.
Liviou2004
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2019 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
You're welcome.

About using German/Japanese/etc instead of Steinway/Yamaha/etc, I think Korg had to remain a bit vague for some copyright reason or something, just like most other manufacturers emulating acoustic pianos with hardware or software.

Yes, as it is the case for Electric Pianos, Korg never mentionned Rhodes or Wurlitzer.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2019 12:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:
The big letters are simply the brand/model number, so German/Steinway D, Japanese/Yamaha C, Austrian/Bösenforfer Imperial and recently Italian F for Fazioli.

The "s" means stretched tuning, which is how acoustic pianos are normally tuned, with lower keys gradually a bit down in pitch and upper keys a bit higher in pitch. The non-stretched tunings remain useful for multi-instrument scenarios, when you don't want the pianos to sound strange or off pitch in those areas.

Thanks, this is very helpful as I've always wondered about the physical pianos the various patches were based on.

That said, I just went into a program and was playing around selecting the different types to hear the differences. Selecting the German, Japanese and Berlin types works fine. However, no matter which Austrian type I select, the keyboard makes no sound.

Is there something special about the Austrian type that I'm missing in order to make use of it?

[edit]
In browsing other posts I now understand that the Austrian piano wasn't included and is a separate purchase. That would explain the silent keys. The pianos I already have sound good, it was just a technical curiosity.
[/edit]
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
Thanks, this is very helpful as I've always wondered about the physical pianos the various patches were based on.

That said, I just went into a program and was playing around selecting the different types to hear the differences. Selecting the German, Japanese and Berlin types works fine. However, no matter which Austrian type I select, the keyboard makes no sound.

Is there something special about the Austrian type that I'm missing in order to make use of it?

In browsing other posts I now understand that the Austrian piano wasn't included and is a separate purchase. That would explain the silent keys. The pianos I already have sound good, it was just a technical curiosity.

Glad I could help. If you are looking for an additional piano to complement the three factory ones, the new Korg Italian grand is quite a bit better than the Austrian. More recent and well-balanced. You can install the demo and see for yourself. I bought it during the latest biannual Korg sale. Next one will be in December I think. Cool
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks for letting me know.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KK wrote:

I noticed that the German and Berlin patches both use the Steinway D as their sample model (or whatever it's called). If the German is a Steinway, what's the Berlin - a different model of Steinway?
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
KK
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ChrisDuncan wrote:
KK wrote:

I noticed that the German and Berlin patches both use the Steinway D as their sample model (or whatever it's called). If the German is a Steinway, what's the Berlin - a different model of Steinway?

Hi Chris,

Sorry, totally forgot to mention that the Berlin is a Bechstein, which also happens to be a D model. So German = Steinway D, Berlin = Bechstein D. Same country of origin, same model letter but just a coincidence in this case, as from two different piano factories/makers.
ChrisDuncan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, thanks man.
Chris Duncan
Atlanta, GA, USA, Earth
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: