Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disable input monitoring when sampling

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 5:07 am    Post subject: Disable input monitoring when sampling Reply with quote

Hi everyone,

Wondering if anyone has some tips on how to disable input monitoring when sampling, or when recording audio in the sequencer.

Essentially I am running the main outputs of an analogue mixer into the analogue inputs of the Kronos, and I'd like to be able to use the sampler to quickly record what I'm hearing at any time. I can set the routing up okay, but when sampling is armed (using the front panel button), the Kronos automatically routes the sampling inputs to the Maine L+R outputs. This causes the sound to be duplicated with latency when being returned by the mixer.

If I turn down the levels in the Audio In page for the Analogue Inputs, that also affects the level at which the audio is sampled.

The same thing occurs when recording to a hard disk track - when the track is record armed, it automatically monitors the input via the Main L+R outputs. At least in the sequencer though, you can turn the track volume level down which resolves this (rather inelegantly), but I'm not sure if you can do the same for sampling.

The other thing I thought of doing is using outputs 1+2, and simply not connecting the Main L+R outputs, but that would mean updating the routing of every program and combi. Changing the global option for the individual outs wouldn't help here, because that duplicates the Main L+R outputs (including the monitored incoming audio) to the individual outs.

At the moment, I am using the two-track return on my mixer to monitor the audio from the Kronos exclusively, but this introduces latency, which I'd rather avoid.

So any tips on how can record audio into the Kronos without monitoring it?

Thanks!
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I assume you've already set the Audio IN Bus Select to OFF (and not L/R)? At both Global and on each mode (Seq, Sampling, etc.)?
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I certainly have. Unfortunately that doesn't fix the issue though. It seems whatever is being sampled is always touted to the main L+R outputs as soon as Sampling Rec is pressed Sad
Korg Kronos 2 88, Reface CS, Roland JV-1080, TE OP1, Moog Subsequent 37, Korg ARP Odyssey, Allen & Heath Zed 18, Adam F5, MOTU MIDI Express XT, Lexicon MX200 & MPX1, Yamaha QY700, Yamaha AW16G, Tascam DP008ex, Zoom H6, Organelle, Roland J6 & JU06A

Previous: Triton LE 61/Sampling/64MB/4GB SCSI, MS2000BR, Kronos 1 61, Monotribe, NanoKontrol, NanoKeys, Kaossilator II, Casio HT3000, Roland VP-03, Reface DX, Novation Mininova, MPC One
psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just took a quick look at the manual. I thought for a moment changing Direct Source Solo would help, but I do see that the option is grayed out when your sampling Source Bus is set to L/R.

Aha. Take a look in the Parameter Guide, in the GLOBAL Audio section.

GLOBAL
Audio Output
L/R Bus
Indiv Assign

I think your solution lies in there.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No dice unfortunately.

That option simply mirrors the output of the L+R pair to another output pair, including any monitored audio.

I suspect what I'm trying to achieve simply isn't possible when using sampling mode, and only possible by lowering the volume of tracks when using sequencer.

Thanks anyway!

psionic311
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still think there's a solution, haven't had my morning coffee yet though.

Hopefully Mike will see this post and chime in.
He'll probably suggest splitting the audio via FX Control 1 or Rec Bus

Back to the Audio Output idea.
(Parameter Guide, private monitoring)

1) Remove the L/R cables
2) Insert them into Output 1/2
3) Turn Audio Output to OFF.

Now nothing is going to the mixer, right?
Yet you can still hear the Kronos via headphones.
Now you can record/sample without the double monitoring.

Isn't that what you want?

4) Turn Audio Output to 1/2 for normal operation.

Your L/R outs will remain unplugged.
So you can toggle output to mixer via Audio Output Indiv Assign.
SeedyLee
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Wed Sep 04, 2019 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really appreciate you taking the time to help.

Quote:
Hopefully Mike will see this post and chime in.
He'll probably suggest splitting the audio via FX Control 1 or Rec Bus

I've tried quite a few options around that, but no luck. Particularly in Sampling mode, it doesn't seem to matter how you've got audio routed, if it's being sampled, the Kronos sends it to the L+R outputs.

Quote:
Now nothing is going to the mixer, right?
Yet you can still hear the Kronos via headphones.

Not quite - I still want to monitor via the mixer, with everything else that might be playing (other synths, sequenced parts etc), just not with the audio I am sampling duplicated, and potentially causing a feedback loop.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: