Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Would you purchase a Korg Kronos Rack version?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrianCa

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:17 am    Post subject: Would you purchase a Korg Kronos Rack version? Reply with quote

Just thought I would throw this question out there. If there were a rack version of the Korg Kronos available and you could afford one, would you buy it?

Many people already have a main keyboard, perhaps a Motif or EX5 etc and also space could be a factor so a rack would be ideal. It makes sense to me that Korg should produce a rack version of the wonderful Kronos but, would is sell?

So would you buy a Korg Kronos Rack?

If not and you would buy something else, what would it be and why?

I don't expect a rush of replies but would be interesting to leave the question out there. Korg do listen to feedback and they are not adverse to taking a risk so it's not entirely out of the realms of possibility that they would indeed produce a rack version. After all...where do you go from the Kronos as it is right?
SKung

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In addition to an arranger keyboard this would be a great product. The Kronos would be a sound generator far advanced from any arranger available.

But having a second keyboard available is an advantage, too. I have a PA2X connected with a Kronos 61 and wouldn't replace the Kronos with a rack version.
Falcon2e
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This reminds me of the rack version of the Triton from years ago. I have no idea how many of those units were sold, but I don’t think it was widely popular. I didn’t have one, but I did have a Roland JV80 rack and I remember it wasn’t easy to use. I can’t imagine how Korg could design a rack unit that’s practical, and include everything that’s on the panel on our Kronos.
voip
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

See:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=119552

timg11

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've given a lot of thought to alternate packaging for the Kronos.
First off, I don't think Korg would do it. Certainly not now that it is near end of life. So let's think about rack mods that could be done by the owner or a tech.

The rack form factor poses some significant challenges with the touchscreen UI. Would you build into a 5U rack enclosure and mount the touchscreen on the front? Maybe the right control panel would also fit. That makes the whole package rather bulky. You would still have to rely on a tablet app for the the buttons, knobs, and sliders on the left panel.

Or do you eliminate the touchscreen (and most of the controls), redesigning a circuit board with subset of controls that would fit into a 2U rack, and then rely on a remote-control app for normal operation? That could work, but what happens when/if the K fails to boot?

You could build a 2U rack enclosure on sliding rails. The touchscreen is flush in the top, and normally invisible. If there is an issue where the touchscreen must be accessed, you slide out the rack to get to it.
Or if you're a mechanical expert, design a slide-out tray for the touchscreen that slides out and drops down for use, but can be stowed safely back inside the rack otherwise.

If you have serious hardware/software skills, you could design an FPGA to take the LCD drive signal (which is digital, but not video), and convert it to HDMI video output. Further engineering would be required to engineer a return path from an external touchscreen back to conversion hardware to emulate the old-school resistive matrix used by the Kronos.

All these options require significant engineering effort, which is why I ended up going with a less extensive repackaging to remove the keybed.
GregC
Platinum Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Would you purchase a Korg Kronos Rack version? Reply with quote

BrianCa wrote:
Just thought I would throw this question out there. If there were a rack version of the Korg Kronos available and you could afford one, would you buy it?

?

This suggestion appears every few months.

for how much would you buy one ?

Thats an important question for anyone interested.
StephenKay
KARMA Developer
Approved Merchant
KARMA Developer<br>Approved Merchant

PostPosted: Tue Sep 03, 2019 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sharp did a mockup of this once, pretty cool:

http://www.korgforums.com/forum/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=88108

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Kronos All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: