Korg Forums Forum Index Korg Forums
A forum for Korg product users and musicians around the world.
Moderated Independently.
Owned by Irish Acts Recording Studio & hosted by KORG USA

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Minilogue sequence without notes and audio in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Paul Metcalf

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2019 7:26 pm    Post subject: Minilogue sequence without notes and audio in Reply with quote

I learned how to do a motion sequence without notes with the hope that I could feed a Pocket Operator Speak into the audio in and arpeggiate it. It doesn't seem to work. I don't have to hold down any keys on the minilogue when I feed my monologue into the audio in jack, so I can't figure out what the problem is. Does anybody out there with synth experience have an answer to my problem?
synthpeter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: Minilogue sequence without notes and audio in Reply with quote

Paul Metcalf wrote:
I learned how to do a motion sequence without notes with the hope that I could feed a Pocket Operator Speak into the audio in and arpeggiate it. It doesn't seem to work. I don't have to hold down any keys on the minilogue when I feed my monologue into the audio in jack, so I can't figure out what the problem is. Does anybody out there with synth experience have an answer to my problem?

The Block diagram in the Minilogue user manual shows that you do need to gate the VCF to get audio in to the VCA. In other words. you do need to press a key or have the sequence running with notes to hear the audio input. You can of course turn the vco's down in the mixer if you don't want to hear the keys/notes while leaving the motion sequence running to filter the audio in.

Also make sure that you've got audio input enabled (global edit -> audio in), and that the incoming signal strength is strong enough.
Paul Metcalf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 12:44 pm    Post subject: Thank you. Another question. Reply with quote

Synthpeter, I thank you for your response. It raises another question in my mind, however. If I turn the VCOs down in the mixer will that cut the signal down on my audio in as well?
synthpeter

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you. Another question. Reply with quote

Paul Metcalf wrote:
Synthpeter, I thank you for your response. It raises another question in my mind, however. If I turn the VCOs down in the mixer will that cut the signal down on my audio in as well?

No, the mixer settings will not affect the audio in. The mixer output and the audio in both go into the VCF. So, if you turn the mixer output down, the audio in still goes into the VCF.
Paul Metcalf

PostPosted: Tue Jul 02, 2019 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Synthpeter, thanks for your help. I am at work now but I will try this out as soon as I get home!
Paul Metcalf

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 3:13 am    Post subject: VCO Mixer Reply with quote

Synpeter, when I got home from work I tried what you told me. It works, but I found that I still heard the notes. Using the Duo and mono voices the audio in was loud enough to hear clearly, but I would like the notes in the sequence either not to play or to be quieter. Any ideas?
synthpeter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 03, 2019 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: VCO Mixer Reply with quote

Paul Metcalf wrote:
Synpeter, when I got home from work I tried what you told me. It works, but I found that I still heard the notes. Using the Duo and mono voices the audio in was loud enough to hear clearly, but I would like the notes in the sequence either not to play or to be quieter. Any ideas?

There should be no sound from the keys if you turn the VCOs all the way down in the mixer. Maybe check this youtube video from 1 minute 30 seconds onwards https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4xwKO08H6Q4

Also, remember that when you switch on the Minilogue or when you change programs, the VCO levels in the mixer are restored to the settings from the program, even if the VCO dials are still turned down. Turn them up and down (make sure that GLOBAL->Knob mode is set to Jump), or load the panel settings (SHIFT & WRITE).
Paul Metcalf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:14 pm    Post subject: VCO Mixer Reply with quote

Synthpeter, thanks again. I have a problem remembering that the settings on the mixer have to be adjusted each time I change programs. But, interestingly rezeroing doesn't eliminate audio every time. The audio output from the sequence is eliminated most times, but for some programs there is still some sound even when the VCOs are both zeroed out. Some programs zero out the notes, but put out the undesirable clicking that the Minilogue is known for. I have found a program that works for what I want without notes or clicking, however. Now I have to work out how to transition smoothly.
TheDoctor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 04, 2019 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: VCO Mixer Reply with quote

Paul Metcalf wrote:
Synthpeter, thanks again. I have a problem remembering that the settings on the mixer have to be adjusted each time I change programs. But, interestingly rezeroing doesn't eliminate audio every time. The audio output from the sequence is eliminated most times, but for some programs there is still some sound even when the VCOs are both zeroed out. Some programs zero out the notes, but put out the undesirable clicking that the Minilogue is known for. I have found a program that works for what I want without notes or clicking, however. Now I have to work out how to transition smoothly.

Clicky envelope is another reason why people love analogue gear
Paul Metcalf

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:02 am    Post subject: Clicky gear Reply with quote

Synthpeter, do I detect sarcasm here, or do you have some way of turning a con into a pro?
lidserter

PostPosted: Fri Jul 05, 2019 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe you are hearing the filter! If you enable key tracking for filter cutoff and resonance is high enough you end up with a 3rd oscillator in the mix, that doesn't respond to VCO1 or VCO2 mixer volume. I suggest you to lower the resonance a little bit on those programs...

Regards,
JJ
Korg Kross 2 61, Korg microStation, Korg monologue, Alesis Vortex wireless v1, CME Xkey 25, Peak FCB8N, JBL LSR305 monitors, Jackson DK2S, Washburn X series, Lag Tramontane, ENGL e530, TC electronic G-Major II, Rocktron Velocity 300, 2x12" Celestion V30s cabinet.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Korg Forums Forum Index -> Korg Analog Synths (General) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: